Sobucky Super Aromas (SSA) Single Flavor Tests By SessionDrummer

Sadness. :(.

I think the two of them are very close, and without doing an A/B direct comparison (which I probably should), and I’ve never solo’d FA’s. I’m starting to lean towards SSA’s beating out FA’s, BUT, I really gotta directly compare the two. Let’s say they’re very close.

You’re very welcome @Steve68.

6 Likes

Thanks, and thanks for your really quick response .I’ll use up my FA then, and just re-stock with SSA. Still unable to get Flavor Labs concentrates here in Blighty either, so no Jam Monster for me. The sadness continues.

5 Likes

Ice Cream Vanilla (SSA) 1.5% (10-11-20) – Deciding on what strength to mix this at after testing SSA’s Ice Cream @ 2% proved difficult. It smelled stronger in the bottle, so decided to drop 0.5% from the original Ice Cream. Even mixed down from their Ice Cream, this one presented as much more forward, and fuller. A lot of similarities to SSA’s Ice Cream but with more presence, and some nice Vanilla notes thrown in. The vanilla seemed close to a vanilla bean that was high enough in the mix to make itself known but not overpower the profile. Clean, accurate, and I actually think better than their Ice Cream. I love the fresh approach to an Ice Cream SSA has taken, as none of the somewhat off-putting sour or typical cream notes found in many other IC’s. One of the best I have tried. Even presenting stronger/fuller/richer than the regular Ice Cream, it isn’t as heavy handed as say LB’s VIC. Sweetness was lower than mid level, and I could see numerous uses for this one, as was the case with the Ice Cream. Moving this up on the scale for a fuller, richer, more flavorful experience than the regular IC. 8.95/10 .

10 Likes

Still no eggy/custard notes or cloying mouthfeel?

4 Likes

@Letitia, no, no, and nope. It presented as a very clean, natural tasting VIC. No custard or egg, the vanilla while present, came across as an unobtrusive vanilla bean. There was some mouthfeel, but fairly subdued, and not overwhelming.

5 Likes

Thank you!

5 Likes

Another thing about the “clean”-ness of it, was it didn’t have the thick buttery-ness of say LB’s VIC, while although thick, buttery, and rich, came off nowhere as cleanly as this one did.

6 Likes

Creme Brulee (SSA) 1% (10-11-20) – OK, I think @woftam might have been the first one to mention this, but this one (like a very few others) is dark, and soulless. Now, some people will be scared off, others will embrace it’s darkness. At 1% (4-5 drops) in my 10ml tester, the mix was (duh), very dark. OK, but how’d it taste ? Brulee is a burnt cream, and caramelized sugar desert. There were aspects of the aforementioned in here, but in somewhat reduced quantities. There was an almost coffee note on the lower end that added to the burnt note. I will check the coils/cotton after the tester tank, but I suspect it will be quite dark as well. Overall the flavor was good, but more of a caramelized sugar coffee with some cream elements. At 1% it was fairly strong, and mid level sweet, and the burnt note(s) seemed to increase somewhat throughout the testing. Continued testing, and an increasing burnt note led me to believe that it may have been fouling the cotton/coils more than originally suspected. Good flavor, but the extreme darkness and perceived increasing burnt note will make this one harder to use. Because of this, leaving it at 5/10.

9 Likes

Hopefully I’ll mix some up to test yoday, I think I have 10ml bottles wide enough to use the GC or I can figure something out. Not wanting to do 30ml tests. I got a bunch of tall skinny 15mls for 10ml tests but there’s 0 chance of fitting the GC in.

Hopefully BC will pick up the rest of the line I’m sure what they have is selling well

5 Likes

And this is what I want. Have you reached any conclusions on the ones mentioned above, the SSA CMF and the WF MCC?

3 Likes

Whipped cream, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways…:drooling_face:
Being a frugal gal I should empty my 30ml bottle of FA first :unamused:

5 Likes

Why? Not an after effect, I hope? :frowning_face:

3 Likes

Do you like it better than VSO Coconut? Can you compare the two?

3 Likes

That’s going to be a tough one. Ironically I think Delosi’s is still at the top, BUT, with the VSO and this one both, relatively tied for 2nd place, it’s hard to clearly state a “winner” as they are slightly different in their own way(s), which makes labeling a WINNER, hard.

I think the VSO might be a bit more natural tasting, than the SSA, but, that doesn’t mean the SSA imparts an artificial taste either, just that VSO might nudge the SSA out in so far as the MOST natural tasting.

7 Likes

Thank you for that. And I never had Delosi’s so that’s what I’mma gonna do :+1:

2 Likes

So @SessionDrummer, with so many flavors hitting it out of the ballpark lately have you been inspired to create any new recipes? I know I have. What’s even better is I’m finding I can put together just a few flavors and come out with something really good. I’m liking this!

3 Likes

LOL @muth, that’s actually the WORST part about testing soo many flavors. All of your free time gets sucked up doing that. Maybe I’ll take a break after this batch, and start creating more.

5 Likes

Yeah, and give us all a chance to catch up. Or at the least slow down the buying process. I have another long shopping list again.

3 Likes

Is BCF having a Columbus Day sale, anyone know?

3 Likes

Nectarines (SSA) 1% (10-11-20) – This one smelled almost spot on in the bottle, and vaping it revealed a very light, airy nectarine flavor. I almost got more of it smelling off the bottle than I did in the vape. Maybe I’m test blind to Nectarines ?? Actually added 2-3 drops directly into the tester tank, mixed, and it improved slightly. Either I’m partially blind to this flavor, OR, it’s just a very light flavor. It did taste very natural with some good citrus notes, and almost some citrus oil (but only a smidge), and plenty of juicy-ness. Sweetness was lower than mid-level, and I kept thinking of how clean it tasted, but that could have been from it’s light airy-ness. If any of you test this, and get a more full on nectarine, reveal the secret to me. As it was, it was indeed a very clean, accurate nectarine, but for my tastes, it was just very light, and airy, and would be easily overcome in a mix, unless boosted. Very good, but very light and delicate at the same time. Punching it at 6.75/10.

8 Likes