Squonk or rdta?

So I’ve been very disappointed with rdas in the past, there was always something wrong. Spit back, heat, build decks etc. Now I’ve purchased a wotofo profile, mainly for flavour testing but it turns out that the profile is my first rda where everything seems to be working fine for me.

Unfortunately an rda is not car friendly with the dripping so I’ve looked at the profile unity or using a squonk mod for the profile. I can’t really see an advantage for any of the 2 options apart from maybe the wicking which might be more tricky on a rdta?

So if you’ve tried both please can you let me know what your experiences were?

Thanks!

7 Likes

All I use are Profiles and Unitys. I prefer squonking but run the tanks on my Battlestars. Wicking both is easy once you get the technique down. I’m not sure what you mean by expenses, though. You can buy squonks and regulated mods at all different prices, that’s up to you. Just keep in mind that if you use SS mesh, the resistance will be around .2 so you need something strong enough to run them safely. I vary from 50-60 watts on everything I use.

6 Likes

You’ll find people on both sides of the fence with each their own opinions… and I think you’re forgetting probably the RTA section too. RDTA’s and RDAs usually have the coils closer to the drip tip and spitting will be a little more likely than with an RTA. Usually though, you can reduce spitting by adjusting power, coil placement and wicking.
Flavor can be as good (or bad) on all types these days so from my point of view, it’s all about user friendliness and convenience and IMO and R(D)TA wins hands down. Sqonking is just adding yet another bottle in the process that has to be cleaned and it isn’t as easy to fill as a regular tank atty.

7 Likes

I have both, the unity rta and profile rda, and recently got the profile 1.5
Honestly I don’t use the unity much at all anymore, I always carry a squonk mod / profile with me along with another mod / freemaxmeshpro combo.

3 Likes

Sorry I meant experiences. Mobile phone auto thingy. I’ve changed it now.

5 Likes

I loved my squonker and if squonking came in a pen I’d be there haha. I’ve now moved to an rdta and I can honestly say I’m much happier. It’s not the squonkers fault though was probably the shitty series of rdas I put on it. Spent more on a goon that was recommended to me than the luxotic. The goon truly sucks. Though it’s choice for alot of people. My rdta doesn’t spit at any temp its just well built and refilling is so easy with no mess. So yeah I’m sold on rdta. So much so that I’ve ordered a second one exactly the same as the one I have now because I’ll cry if it goes off the market :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I clean my squonk bottles as often as I clean my tanks, and the topside squonk mods are probably easier to fill than most tanks…I run boreas rta’s so I have 8ml of juice in my tank, but if I had a normal sized rta then a squonk mod would have more juice capacity, my only complaint about squonks vs rta’s is that with most rda’s you have to look at them when hitting the bottle to avoid over squonking, which sucks for driving at night, but that’s what top airflow like the ammit 22 mtl rda is for lol

7 Likes

That was true until the Topside came along. I gave up on squonking after getting fed up with the aggravation until TD arrived.

As Fishy Boy says, the bottle fill is ridiculously simple. And it slides out easily for cleaning, As squonking goes, it took out all the negatives about it. As for driving, the TD is 10ml and it comes with a second bottle and tight cap so you can have that ready to just slide in and go. I’m sold on it, but there’s surely nothing wrong with a good tank either.

7 Likes

@anon70102222 @Fishaddict420 Maybe you guys are right… but like I said in my first post, you’ll hear people on both side of the fence. I’d rather have an additional battery and a topfill port when I’m vaping :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@Bad_Influence There’s really no right or wrong, it’s all about preference. Try it out and see what you like best :grin:

5 Likes

That’s the takeaway.

3 Likes

IMO… squonking when your out n’ about is a PITA no matter how you spin it with anything but the topside.
Like Suomynona said though, it really is a preference thing… Best way I’ve found what’s worked the best for me is by deciding what messes with my vape experience the most and mitigating it.

#1- I’m either chain vaping or I’m not, and that plays the biggest role in what I would go with. I’m all about reliability & performance, and can’t stand having to fiddle with my rig when I don’t have the time to. IMO, the “tinkering” aspect of vaping belongs at home (which includes filling/dripping)
#2- a byproduct of the prior, is how much juice I go through… If I was going through 60% less juice in a day, my preferences and options would change drastically for the better (and R(D)TA’s would get a lot more attention from me).

For that reason the topside (with a profile on top) is a pretty phenomenal option regarding the dependability that I require:
-b*tchin’ battery life
-massive juice capacity
-minimal fiddle factor (this is the Profile’s win, the most bulletproof RDA I’ve ever used, but it’s ‘expensive’ to keep running IMO… worth it though)
-phenominal flavor (also the Profile… I think the chip in the Topside is “bleh”)

Only cons I’ve found; It’s heavy, and can tend to beat itself up… One tends to think light means weak, but it’s easy to forget that weight = wear…the topside doesn’t stand the test of time well outside of calm environments. It’s really good at beating itself up being used as a daily. It’s a heavy duty mod that’s not designed to be heavy duty.

If I were on my feet more with it daily, I’d go with the unity on the lightest/smallest mod possible that delivers the performance you need.
I have yet to try the topside lite. It might be the magical middle ground because it does away the ridiculously weak design regarding battery containment that the original topsides have.

It really depends on what you need/want most from your rig. Pros and Cons change drastically from one environment to the next.

4 Likes

Agreed!

Agreed x2! Right on.

5 Likes

I may sound like I’m picking on you but I’m not. I have been using the Topside Dual (2x18650) for over a year and I love it. Top fill ,dual cells (yeah thus the name), 10ml, and a spare 10ml bottle too. It’s great for driving but as stated, not a pocket mod at all. Filling the flippin’ thing is silly easy. I’ve heard of the battery door weakness and am concerned, but a year in I’ve not personally seen it. But then, I vape relatively low power and change cells only once a day.

7 Likes

It really is hard to put into words how much the Topside revolutionized squonking, and also made RDAs a heavy weight contender regarding ease of daily use.
The Topside changed the game as much as PODs have :triumph::unamused:, it just did it on the other end of the spectrum.

7 Likes

I think you’re spot on here my man. After having been through more than one, I can confidently say it’s a “round count”/repetitive wear type thing… You can literally watch those teeny-weeny little tabs start to round out… but I changed batteries about 4-6 times a day, so the way I see it, the life-span on yours would be 4-6x longer… All mine gave up after about 6 months, so it would figure that you wouldn’t start seeing the same wear for another year at your current lvl of use.

4 Likes

Squonk that Profile RDA and agree with the others, the Topside is the easiest one and a good all around mod. I would skip the more expensive Topside Carbon, the Yihi chip they used is from the bottom of the drawer, it sucks. The normal Topside chip is better IMO then the Yihi chipped Carbon and I love Yihi chips except that one and the one they used in the Steam Crave Hadron, that one sucks too.

The benefit you will get with squonking the Profile is the juice feeds right under the cotton, tasty saturated vape every time, much less worry about wicking as opposed to the Profile Unity RTA. I do enjoy the Profile Unity RTA but it has been surpassed by the Kylin M, my go to mesh RTA.

8 Likes

Every time I see that, I transpose the d and the r, especially since you all fawn over Steam Crave so much. :face_with_monocle:

8 Likes

Allright… well, thanks for all the input, that’s a lot of info. I’ve been looking at pictures of the unity and apart from the tank the biggest difference to the profile rda seems to be the distance from the coil to the drip tip and that there is a chimney. Does that influence the air flow or flavor a lot?
I’m also after reliability and don’t want to fiddle with my vape when I’m in the car or out somewhere so right now I’m drawn towards the unity. Hard decision but it begins to look like one of these experience things nobody can really help you with.
I’m totally in love with the profile though, my best rda experience so far. Dry hits are coming hard and without a warning, I guess that’s where the wicking experience comes in.
One more thing that really pee’d me off are the $$$ people charge for these pre-rolled lace type cotton pieces. Before I pay that kind of money I’ll rather suffer a few dry hits until I perfected some kind of process to wick with standard cotton.
Oh and is anybody using hemp instead of cotton?

3 Likes

Another great Wotofo RDA is the non mesh Elder Dragon. Amazing little hunk of metal. I have this and the Profile, ED beats it.

Agleted cotton. Yes, too pricey for me to justify.

5 Likes

I use Cotton Bacon Prime in the RDA but with the RTA rayon wicks a little better which is important as it wicks from the ends and needs to wick quick. Keep in mind, the RTA is trickier to wick, the Kylin M RTA is a little more easier than the Profile Unity RTA, it has bigger wicking slots.

6 Likes