Starting a new e-liquid business

Now that the UK has left the EU do you think they will revise their vaping laws?

2 Likes

The UK Laws on e-liquids are more relaxed than their European counterparts. so I can imagine if anything, I would think now that the UK can’t vote, maybe EU laws get tougher than here in the UK. and regarding the regulations in the UK, who knows tbh. That’s also one of my big worries. but according to the latest report published by government, vaping is up to 95% safer than smoking so I think the outlook is positive.

2 Likes

Good luck.

2 Likes

Do I need a licence to sell e-liquids?

The gov.uk website states that retailers do not need to submit details of the products that they sell unless they also qualify as a producer (see above).

Regulations dictate that producers of e-liquids or e-cigarettes must submit information about their products to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) before their products are able to be sold:

• A notification to the MHRA must be submitted 6 months before the product is intended to be put for sale in the UK
• Products can only be sold in the UK once they are published in the list of submitted products

For retailers it is advisable to ensure that products you source meet these requirements by checking that the products you are sourcing have been notified to the MHRA.

There is a useful guide for retailers produced by the MHRA which may be worth referring to if you currently run or are planning to set up a new vape shop.

Further information on the whole process for both retailers and producers can be found on the gov.uk website here.

https://www.anthonyjones.com/do-you-need-a-licence-to-sell-eliquid-uk/

4 Likes

as @SessionDrummer has kindly pointed out, you need to notify MHRA before they can be sold , if the product contains nicotine.

On a side note, thanks to all the feedbacks, the business plan has changed a lot in many aspects. most importantly the incentive for mixers has changed quite a bit. I will be posting an update in this thread soon, maybe in a few days.

4 Likes

Thanks @raysh. much appreciated. I have been doing nothing but work on this business idea for the last 10 months or so. I have also tried to get mentorship and advice from some governmental organisation which I gave up on as their service was not only useless but it set back me back by a month at least. I have tried to outsource any job that I cannot do to professionals like the website development and accounting etc. but I just can’t financially afford to outsource a lot of jobs so I am doing it myself. so far I have spent 5 months on designing the operation line and whether there will be a business at all depends on whether I can make the operation line work. but I think I will have the software part fully completed in two months and it is on to the actual physical part. Also the website is coming along nicely. So after months of frustration, road blocks, people letting you down (although thanks for family and friends who have been very supportive and lending a helping hand when needed) and second guessing the whole idea, I am seeing a flicker of light at the end of the tunnel :smiley:.
Nobody asked… but still here is the program so far and how it will work (it is a top down view).
ezgif.com-gif-maker

2 Likes

Also an update on user incentive. now mixers will be paid 10% of the sale price to their account on a set date every month. Although it will require you to have PayPal (as I would be using PayPal mass payment services). I think it should be fine wherever you are in the world as long as you have PayPal although it might be the case that it is not available in some countries. I will also bear the transaction fee. Also I am thinking of giving a 10% discount if you order your own recipe through us although still not finalised and there are some terms and conditions attached such as the recipe should be public and probably some other stuff which have not been thought out yet. All the old discounts I had mentioned in previous posts are replaced by these ones.
If you have any question or comments, let me know :+1:

3 Likes

You might want to reconsider using PayPal, they have been closing down vaping related accounts.

5 Likes

Didn’t know that! Thanks for the heads up. I will look into it.

4 Likes

Darling, there are so many thing you have to know before doing it. I mean, there are a few things you should know before starting a new company. First and foremost, no one cares about your business, so you must handle it as if it were your kids. It’s very delicate at first, because you can quickly screw up a lot of things when it comes to setting it up, and if you’re a beginner, it’s a lot of work. That is precisely why I am suggesting this fantastic group of individuals who are assisting people in establishing their new companies 8 Neetish Sarda Father ideas in 2021 | coworking space, father, work space. If you want to start your company the right way, you must give them a try; trust me, it is completely worth your time.

1 Like

Definitely sort out a VISA/credit card payment option: I hate not finding one on a site and still rather use a direct CC payment because I feel like the online store is professional if they have that, where pay-pal always hits me as a backyard amateur thing.

I’m not distrustful of paypal, it’s just nowhere near as streamline or polished as paying by VISA right at the site.

And I’ve never, probably will never, use Zip Pay or any those other weird shit because I do not trust them and MANY other people feel the same about alternative payment methods too.

1 Like

Of course here will be Visa option and almost certainly there will no PayPal. The way they have closed e-liquid related accounts (without any prior notice in a lot of cases) seems very unfair.
regarding paying royalty to mixers, My web developer said there are other services offering mass payment (Mass Payment being the name of the service that PayPal offers for when you want to pay a lot of people, potentially small amounts each). but if I don’t find a suitable service for that, then I should look into Cryptocurrency options.
It is interesting you have that perception of PayPal though, because I feel completely the opposite. For me personally if a business doesn’t offer PayPal, it seems a bit unprofessional. Although given what paypal has done, as mentioned above, now I try to pay with Visa whenever I can.

1 Like

Tell me about it! I kinda already miss my 9 to 5 job :grinning:. A lot less decisions to be made and you have the weekends to yourself.

1 Like

Seems like you want to start a business? Given that you just joined and your first reply is here?

1 Like

Vapes are slowly receding into the background of the e-cigarette market. Disposable e-cigarettes have recently appeared, and I think they are much more relevant now. They don’t smoke as much, but they are more compact and less harmful. Plus, you constantly need to change the absorbent cotton on a vape, topping up the liquid.

1 Like

Less hamful than what? “Normal” vaping devices? And instead of replacing the cotton and clean the atomiser / replace the coil you have to replace the whole cartridge. Apart from it being easier to handle I can’t see an advantage which would make me want a Juul or whatever there is these days.
I mean it’s fair enough if you want to have the vape experience without the DIY aspect of it and rather buy ready made cartridges. I’m just interested why you think they are less harmful.

2 Likes

I also don’t see how they are less harmful! yes they might be more compact but they also need to be recharged more often or need to be in a casing (that you have to carry) that charges the battery, in which case it will end up being less compact. I guess you can get ones with disposable batteries but it will end costing you MUCH more than mods/pods.
in any case, there will always be enough potential customers for me to make a living from this business, and I have already spent the last 12 months exclusively on this for me to give up now only because there is a slight trend towards disposable products.

1 Like

here is what I have been up to in the last year and hopefully I will have another video update in a few days showing how it works. this is not the final version though and is still a prototype. but it is finally very robust and as soon as I have finished running tests I will 3d print what will be the production version.

5 Likes

Wow that looks fantastic!
I think i see a raspberry pi, and are these stepper motor on the other side? I really need to see that video!

2 Likes

First of all, welcome to elr.
Second, please dont be afraid of those dudes. They’re on the deeper end of the rabbit hole. Almost no saving them at this point :grin:
Anyway, if pods could make you stop smoking, it’s a great result in my book.
Safety is important. If you feel safe with it, great. For me personally, I like to know what I inhale in my lung.

4 Likes