Steeping for maximum flavour

Hi I have recently made some juices just with one consentrate in each bottle . The flavour is definitely there but it’s not that strong . How long would people recomend steeping dessert flavours for maximum flavour ? Thanks

4 Likes

I do not think steeping will make your flavors stronger.
It’s all in how you use them.

Keep notes.
Raise your flavors or lower them, but always write down:

How much, what it tasted like at that amount… what would or won’t go with it… ideas jam! :slight_smile:

and solos are very important. They will teach you how to create better recipes!

16 Likes

Smokey are you saying there is no need to steep single flavours?

5 Likes

I have been told you need to steep single flavours well actually any flavour for maximum flavour ? :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I’m steeping but if I dont need to i will start on them.

5 Likes

For cream / bakery/ dessert recipes, i usually steep for 2 weeks, and 1 month for tobacco. For fruit or menthol recipe i would steep for 1-3 days.

20 Likes

I concur with this :point_up_2:.
Sometimes I let bakery recipes go 4 weeks.

13 Likes

I like to steep too, but was wondering about SFT

5 Likes

That would explain why the flavour I’m getting is not that strong then ? It’s been steeping a week . How do you all steep your juice . I have been told so many ways lid on , lid off on a cool place then others say warm water ? Just interesting to see other peoples methods

5 Likes

What’s sft

4 Likes

Single flavour test

5 Likes

2-4 weeks dark area, take the lid off every 2 days and squeeze the air out and let it fill with fresh air and put it away for 2 days

4 Likes

And shake after refreshing the air

4 Likes

Thanks will do that to them all

4 Likes

I think what @anon84779643 is trying to say is that steeping will change the overall flavor of a mix but not necessarily make the flavor stronger. It’s more about blending of flavors and different flavors taking their place in a mix. Personally, I don’t steep, I homogenize, but that is an entirely different subject for a different thread.

18 Likes

I will try the method that has been posted and see how I get on with that . Never heard of it lol

8 Likes

Some flavors seem to fade a day or two after mixing, but come back a bit more prominent after a week or so. To me TFA Watermelon does that.

11 Likes

Just adding my sometimes repetitive and usually questionable two cents here…steeping is the whole point of single flavor testing. The goal is to become familiar with a given flavor’s potential by natural aging. I’ve not found the process to ever increase the strength or potency of a flavor, but it will promote positive reactions of the compounds (AKA volatiles) within that flavor.

Leaving the cap off during a steep allows those same volatiles to escape into the open air. That’s what you smell when you open a fresh bottle. So un-capped not recommended until fully steeped.

17 Likes

Do not open the cap when you’re still steeping. @TorturedZen made a great point there.

12 Likes

Nopes… was not talking a flavor blend or mix… just solos, Orge :smiley:

If you want more flavor, you have to add it. Steeping does blend… but it won’t increase what you taste.
You also have to watch how much of a flavor you use, as they can mute, morph, loose flavor notes from the top bottom sides or even the middle of a flavor.

Solos rule the flavor world… Do a search for my solo taste testing thread… its here somewhere… :slight_smile:

9 Likes