Steeping for maximum flavour

I don’t know why anyone would do this…Even a flavor with Alcohol in it diesnt need to breathe , the head room in the bottle will allow for evaporation …

15 Likes

When I first started mixing I purged until I had a box full of steeped juices. It does reduce the harshness of of newer mixes.

6 Likes

How much head room room do you leave in the bottle I only have a little bit

4 Likes

Even a small amount should allow for evaporation if the concentrate conatains alcohol…ill use a 15ml bottle to mix a 10ml tester

6 Likes

I have to adamantly disagree with this. Leave the cap (lid) on for the duration.

11 Likes

Enough to allow room for shaking and the inevitable bubbles. When I do sample batches using 15ml glass bottles I set my calculator to 13.85ml. I’ve used 30ml bottles that easily go to 31 though. Go figure.

6 Likes

Which one is it lid on lid off lol

3 Likes

Leave it ON.

10 Likes

Just fruits i Shake and vape cream bakery dessert recipes i steep for 4-5 weeks and keep the lid on you will loose some flavour with the lid off

6 Likes

@Dannychef my take on steeping runs deep. There ARE indeed flavors (Medicine Flower comes to mind) that UP-steep. Meaning, they get STRONGER as they steep. That is NOT typical of all flavors however. Steeping is ALWAYS a great idea in my opinion. Fruits, and simple recipes maybe a few days or a week, but heavier custards, creams, bakeries can range from 2-4 weeks if not longer to fully mature.

Beyond the up-steepers, fresh mixed recipes can sometimes taste, well, BAD, hehe, but after some steeping can really turn the corner. Some are just so-so fresh mixed, but over time can fully blend, get richer, creamier, fuller after a steep.

What CAN happen (might be affecting your current recipe), is that fresh mixed, all of your individual profiles can be punchy, sharp, and individual, but after a steep, the sharpness can drop, and the individual punchiness of each note, can meld together, AND, pull together, instead of in their own directions if that makes sense. If you are vaping it fresh, all of the individual punchy notes can be distracting, and APPEAR less strong, but after they blend further, it’s possible that as a WHOLE, the strength overall could be greater after a steep.

You stated “desert flavors”, so I’m thinking 2-4 week range depending on how many creams, custards, etc.

12 Likes

@Dannychef, @brian41 I always steep my single flavors for tests, and try to keep them at a 1-2 week min. before testing.

12 Likes

@Dannychef lids/caps on, cool/dark place, never fails.

10 Likes

@brian, @Dannychef be careful with venting your bottles as they steep, as you can and will release flavor molecules when you do this. I believe the whole venting thing was predominantly used for alcohol based flavors, to off gas, but really isn’t required for normal flavors, IMO.

15 Likes

This is what i do as well.

Absolutely! I found that harsh smelling fruits that have that floral bittersweet scent tend to even out after a few days.

I do cool dark place, lid always on. And I shake it before I divvy it out into smaller bottles!

and one can never find out until steeping at various lengths. There’s some flavors that bounce back after a few months too. I mix 500ml bottles and sometimes there is a dead spot, so I let it be and try again in a month.

11 Likes

It started a while back with Baker’s flavors, as some say they are sensitive to the alcohol that was in the flavors. issue is if you keep taking the cap off, your flavor molecules will start to degrade, and wont steep fully due to the missing gasses that ejuice needs to fully steep.

Keep the cap on, reguardless… sure you can test a batch… in fact its a good idea to do that, so you understand what is happening in your juice. Keep notes!!! :slight_smile:

I work with only flv flavors, and can say my fruits are about 2-3 days… my custards and even tobaccos… about a week for me… however… these all do not really shine till they hit the 2-3 week mark…

hope this helps better!

9 Likes

Steeping is not something I consider a subject of concern. Some juices change a little with aging; some change a lot. I use to mix many mixes per mixing session and everything recieved 4 weeks min. and more often, 2-3 months steep is not unusual. It’s all about managing what you mix vs what you have left in stock. I believe If a mix is not good or has not approached my minimal taste acceptance (after a few shakes various times through the aging process) the mix is a failure. If the taste is good only after 2-3 weeks and goes down hill, it’s not for me. If anyone believes a more rigorous mechanical/thermal intervention hastens and improves your mix, go for it.

8 Likes

The glorious thing about tobacco extracts (NET) is… there is a low steep time upon mixing your liquids. Yes, there is some amount of steep time when the tobacco maceration period is happening; anywhere between 30 days to a year. But, once that is over and you build up a supply of tobacco extractions, mixing new liquids is basically a shake and vape scenario.

However, when I was mixing with synthetic flavors, usually the steep time ranged from 14 to 28 days. Steep time always was dependent upon the flavor manufacturer… some concentrates just take longer to meld in the mix. With this hobby/lifestyle… patience is a, must have, virtue. :wink:

5 Likes

how about breathing better ?

1 Like

How did this turn into 38 replies of opinions on the subject of steeping when steeping probably has nothing to do with the problem the OP is having?

I feel like I may be able to help by asking a couple questions that I’m surprised nobody has asked.

Can you provide us with a list of the flavors and the percentage you’ve mixed them at that you feel are weak?

What device/ atomizer are you doing your testing with?

What are you mixing them with or what is your final blend ratio of PG/VG? I don’t know how much this would contribute to your problem but I wouldn’t mind hearing some input from expierenced mixers in regards to single flavor testing.

5 Likes

Have a read…

There are at least 2 of us that I know know about taking a flavor from lowest to highest…
I know I am the only one here that makes it a regular practice.

If there are others… more than welcome to chime in. :slight_smile:

4 Likes