Steeping for maximum flavour

@Dannychef, @brian41 I always steep my single flavors for tests, and try to keep them at a 1-2 week min. before testing.

12 Likes

@Dannychef lids/caps on, cool/dark place, never fails.

10 Likes

@brian, @Dannychef be careful with venting your bottles as they steep, as you can and will release flavor molecules when you do this. I believe the whole venting thing was predominantly used for alcohol based flavors, to off gas, but really isn’t required for normal flavors, IMO.

15 Likes

This is what i do as well.

Absolutely! I found that harsh smelling fruits that have that floral bittersweet scent tend to even out after a few days.

I do cool dark place, lid always on. And I shake it before I divvy it out into smaller bottles!

and one can never find out until steeping at various lengths. There’s some flavors that bounce back after a few months too. I mix 500ml bottles and sometimes there is a dead spot, so I let it be and try again in a month.

11 Likes

It started a while back with Baker’s flavors, as some say they are sensitive to the alcohol that was in the flavors. issue is if you keep taking the cap off, your flavor molecules will start to degrade, and wont steep fully due to the missing gasses that ejuice needs to fully steep.

Keep the cap on, reguardless… sure you can test a batch… in fact its a good idea to do that, so you understand what is happening in your juice. Keep notes!!! :slight_smile:

I work with only flv flavors, and can say my fruits are about 2-3 days… my custards and even tobaccos… about a week for me… however… these all do not really shine till they hit the 2-3 week mark…

hope this helps better!

9 Likes

Steeping is not something I consider a subject of concern. Some juices change a little with aging; some change a lot. I use to mix many mixes per mixing session and everything recieved 4 weeks min. and more often, 2-3 months steep is not unusual. It’s all about managing what you mix vs what you have left in stock. I believe If a mix is not good or has not approached my minimal taste acceptance (after a few shakes various times through the aging process) the mix is a failure. If the taste is good only after 2-3 weeks and goes down hill, it’s not for me. If anyone believes a more rigorous mechanical/thermal intervention hastens and improves your mix, go for it.

8 Likes

The glorious thing about tobacco extracts (NET) is… there is a low steep time upon mixing your liquids. Yes, there is some amount of steep time when the tobacco maceration period is happening; anywhere between 30 days to a year. But, once that is over and you build up a supply of tobacco extractions, mixing new liquids is basically a shake and vape scenario.

However, when I was mixing with synthetic flavors, usually the steep time ranged from 14 to 28 days. Steep time always was dependent upon the flavor manufacturer… some concentrates just take longer to meld in the mix. With this hobby/lifestyle… patience is a, must have, virtue. :wink:

5 Likes

how about breathing better ?

1 Like

How did this turn into 38 replies of opinions on the subject of steeping when steeping probably has nothing to do with the problem the OP is having?

I feel like I may be able to help by asking a couple questions that I’m surprised nobody has asked.

Can you provide us with a list of the flavors and the percentage you’ve mixed them at that you feel are weak?

What device/ atomizer are you doing your testing with?

What are you mixing them with or what is your final blend ratio of PG/VG? I don’t know how much this would contribute to your problem but I wouldn’t mind hearing some input from expierenced mixers in regards to single flavor testing.

5 Likes

Have a read…

There are at least 2 of us that I know know about taking a flavor from lowest to highest…
I know I am the only one here that makes it a regular practice.

If there are others… more than welcome to chime in. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I didn’t realize Flavorah had enough flavors to have 4 or 5 going at a time and still be testing regularly.
Did you just recently start using Flv only or do you go back and re-test flavors if it’s been a while?

Typically…
What’s your starting %?
Increase in increments of 1% or does it change somewhere between min and max like when you feel you’re close to the sweet spot?
How long do you wait to re-test after increasing %? Like does it need time to steep with each increase in flavor?
Do you account for the amount taken out to test in the tester bottle when adding flavor or make a new sample with every new %? Since you can’t know how much 1% is without knowing how much you’re adding to.

I’m not organized or disciplined enough to do a rigorous single flavor testing. I’ve been DIYing for over 5 years now but don’t really consider myself a mixologist as I usually mix published recipes or create my own based heavily on others’ recipes. SF testing is always something I’ve known I’d need to do if I really wanted to create my own shit.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, I obviously haven’t read your post on SF testing yet lol. Hold off on your reply…

3 Likes

204 flavors to date with more coming… where ya been?

over 900 recipes public and private, can be found here:

My wall of public recipes

My booklet on My thoughts for flv’s rate of use can be downloaded here:

It’s all in my booklet, without going into flavor descriptions and that might come, depending on the time I have to put into it. I’m rather busy atm. :slight_smile:

I test in drops measured on my scales, if you read the booklet, it will show where I started and how high I go and what is my preferred amount for solos. Its been downloaded now over 1478 times.

I take everything and every scenario into consideration, yes. and I test with tanks and drippers as well as pods… I run from .2 ohms to 1.5ohms and from 15 watts to 120watts… my fav is at .4ohms and 30 watts… I have spent a lot of years with ultras and lost count with how long I have played with Flavorah, but its always been delightful. :wink: I enjoy it… and it is all I use.

7 Likes

Too late lmao :slight_smile:
I hope you have a night of good reading… as I am hunting my pillow and fuzzy blankets now

3 Likes

As far as this… only by running solos from low to high will you understand how techie a recipe can become, and by doing them, can and will improve your mixes. I have too many I have shown that agree. :slight_smile:

Practice makes perfection, no matter how different we might taste between us both.

5 Likes

Wow you’re fast on the reply. I think most of my questions were answered in the one post you linked but I’ll definitely download your booklet and look at your recipes. Thanks and have a great night!

6 Likes

You welcome and hope the booklet is as simple as I tried to make it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Spot on. You can usually tell what you will end up with after 3 days though. But your averages are bang on.

2 Likes

NET´s do need some steep too, because they are mixed (as the total ejuice ready) with different components with different molecule sizes. By check and tastesenses ok enough, its tasted.

4 Likes

True, I reckon :wink:

Guess I was feeling super opinionated that day when I said “NO” steep time. Perhaps an, IMO, should have been the precursor to that statement. Thus, I did a little edit to my post and said “a low” steep time… since, there are folks that have more discerning tastebuds than mine. :laughing:

It is true that I can taste the difference between a fresh mix and a mix that’s been sitting around for a couple of months. However, sometimes my need for juice can mask a host of sins. :wink:

6 Likes