Steeping time!

I imagine cold will not help the liquids meld together??

i store all my flaves in a mini refer alo g with nic /pg/vg at its lowest / warmest setting it stays between 47f to 50f but when im done with a mix which is only flaves / pg /vg i put in a box at room temp i like to go in and shake now and then which would be impossible if you left juice in refer , at the end of steep or when im ready to vape i add my nicotine , i think the reason warming up your juice helps soeed things up is because it thins the juice out and allows the merging so if heat helps speed things up i would thing the cold would do opposite especially if you have a high VG mix

Thanks. Thats why even after 3 weeks of steeping in 13 degrees i get very week flavor juiceā€¦

1 Like

After two months I donā€™t think it really matters. Within reason.

My gut feeling was always is that heat (within reason) should help the aging process. But my 2-month non-scientific experience goes against that.

I also performed a test with 8 15ml bottles of Kreedā€™s Custard. I placed each into a 140F crock pot bath with 8 hours between the placements. So bottle 8 had 64 hours at 140F, bottle 7 had 56 hours, etc. I then tested each. The results were such that I put my crock pot back into storage.

With with an experience and a somewhat scientific test behind me, now I just let them age wherever they land, which is usually in my somewhat cool basement office.

I also have concerns about what the extra heat does to shelf-life, something that Iā€™ve seen discussed on the web. Even it heat reduces the aging time, it make sense that it could also reduce the shelf-life. Iā€™d rather wait an extra week or two rather than taking a chance that a bottle will go bad a month or two prematurely.

1 Like

According to what Iā€™ve read in the 2000 post thread at ECF, and basically confirmed by other similar threadsā€¦ 140F is simply way too hot.

The concensus seemed to prefer staying under 125F, and my experience over the last 6 months with using my particular UC (at 110-118F) handily confirms this.

I have noticed that certain flavors have preferences to length of time at said temp though. IE: fruits only need about an hour typically, whereas custards and creams vary been 3-5 hours. Most all are still better after a 24-48 hour rest though! (The above does have the odd exceptions though, and is only intended as a general guideline.) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, nicotine breakdown becomes significant above 125F, but all I had was a crock pot with very limited control. I did some other trials, at much shorter times, while the crock pot was heating up. This was less scientific, but even those - after 1 week of ā€œcoolā€ aging - just didnā€™t work out.

I was debating about buying a sous vide oven which could keep 120F +/- 0.1F, but the test didnā€™t prove out for me. And since then, about 3 liters of juice has aged slowly and is ready to vape, so I really have no need to pursue such tests further. Maybe thereā€™s some magic time and temp that would work for me, but I feel that would take too much effort - especially considering all the variations of fruits, custards, creams, fruits with custards or creamsā€¦ Thereā€™s just too much effort there, and I donā€™t have the time to controlled tests with repeatable results.

And, like I said, I have about 3 liters of juice thatā€™s ready to vape, so I am no longer in a rush for anything to age quickly.

1 Like

testing on severeal different things like UC , warm bath , coffee cup warmer etc ive never used a crock pot , the one thing that has proven heat will speed up the process is UC with multiple different recipes tested its obvious the heat will speed the steeping process up drastically personally i think anything you do naturally the end product will be better so i let my juice sit plus ive been mixing long enough to where i have eniugh juice always , and never do i worry about nicotine degrading because i only add nicotine when product is ready to be vaped too many times ive gotten a tobacco taste from letting nic sit to long in juice , bottom line is heat will speed up process i think the UC does the best job

yes i find the same with steeping. i have been mixing now for approx 8 months and it that time i have had 3 100ml bottles of custard slowly steep to a point where im happy to call it RTV. i leaned the hard way regarding the diff between steeping 10ml opposed o 100ml, i thought id missed something, or skrewed up the recipe, turned out i just needed to give it more time. i find the same with blending fruits with creams, i give those mixes a min 3 weeks, thats what works for me IMOā€¦

1 Like