Storing and organizing your DIY supplies?

nice ipv! I love mine.

I was getting ready to mix up some juice so I thought I would take a couple pics of my set-up to share with ya. As ya can see I do most of my mixing on my coffee table in the living room.

Overall shot of the work station

My scale and labeler

Magnetic Mixer

The stands for the flavor bottles I built last weekend out of wood so I could get a little more organized. I drilled a bunch of holes for the 30 ml bottles and then made some inserts so the smaller bottles will fit in the larger holes without falling over. The bottles are placed in the same order as they are listed in “My flavor stash” so it’s easy to find the right flavor. I made 4 stands and each one holds 35 (10 or 30 ml) bottles.

The wood in front is where I put the concentrates for the recipe that I am currently making. The flavors that are sitting in there right now are for my Grilled Bananas with Ice Cream and Caramel recipe. After I add a flavor in the beaker I move it to the empty slot to the left. I usually get distracted while mixing so this way I can keep track of where I’m at and not forget to add one or even worse, add one more than once, which I think I have done a couple of times … lol.

When I’m done mixing everything goes into a tote and placed back in a closet.

17 Likes

Haha this would be great if those boxes weren’t bank. I’d spend more on that than my DIY supplies thus far!.. So you haven’t had any problems with anything leaking or dripping?.. I’m quite nervous about coming back to my stash and having everything sitting in liquid! Probably just paranoid these bottles seem pretty spill proof

1 Like

Containers look really nice, I’ve never seen them before. Do they keep everything in place too or can the bottles fall over?
I’ve got a couple smaller containers but I have a ton of bigger bottles, 30 90 120ml. I may need to just order new bottles for my DIY trials.

1 Like

They can fall over if they aren’t filled up (though you could make a cardboard cutout to prevent that)… It was some boxes I found in my local supermarket (in Denmark though), they’re awesome - they seal completely (there is a black rubber thing sealing it when you close it)…

I think they make bigger ones as well, but I haven’t had a need for them for my bigger bottles (yet)…

1 Like

I am really tight on space because we moved down here not to long ago and are renting a temporary apartment. So I had to put some thought in where I can store/mix my stuff. I really only had a corner in our bedroom where I could do my work and the spawns wouldn’t be able to get at my things. I had to think about building up and not out…

I’m a big fan of those big wooden wine boxes and thankfully we have endless supply of them at work.

And I had some yard stakes from when we had our moving sale, so I cut off the excess length (pictured) and turned them in to shelves for flavorings…

We had a cool small computer/office desk a friend gave us, so I put that in the corner and 1 wine box on top of the desk and made shelves, spaced according to the bottles I use more frequent

Then I put the second box on top of the first and secured it with 2 binder clips

and so on…

As sexy as it looked, I decided to make a curtain for it, so I can cover it all up and remove any light that may or may not have an effect on them. Took me forever to find something I could live with…from cardboard to beach towels it was an eye sore when it was closed.

I was working an event one night and some dumb ass burned the corner of a 70"x70" black table linen. So I cut that bitch up and made it a few layers and now I can roll it up to the top when I’m in business or roll it closed when I’m not…

I had my lights off in this pic

I have a few more made and ready for the next stack

This concludes picture book story time :slight_smile:

24 Likes

just made this for my work station… might make another just cause it didn’t take long I’m here @work and BORED :grin:

16 Likes

I love seeing the DIY solutions for DIY storage!

5 Likes

Wow. Some really nice setups here peeps. I am just getting started so my setup is just a small set of drawers. Knowing how crazy I get with everything I do I am planning ahead. I have ordered a couple nail polish racks and I am going to organize by flavor number. All of my bottles are labled with the flavor number used on the web site here.
For example:
TFA Dragonfruit here is
http://e-liquid-recipes.com/flavor/8535.

So my bottle has 8535 on it. (guess these numbers change so this doesn’t work)

It would be really nice if the calculator here had inventory control. That way when you mixed a recipe it removed the quantity from your flavor stash :blush:

5 Likes

That’s planned :wink: I call it batch control, because it will record what you mixed and will allow you to put notes along with your mix of a recipe… Don’t know exactly when this will be realized though, but hopefully in the not too distant future :smile:

10 Likes

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it agin, I would hate to have to read your to-do list Lars :smile:

Nothing gets passed you brother

4 Likes

Nice. I can’t wait. Like I said, I am planning ahead. And I can see keeping track of inventory becoming a real pain. Quick question - do the flavor numbers stay constant on the website here? I am hoping they do. Otherwise I need to rethink my numbering system.

1 Like

You might want to re-think it :wink: At some point I will re-organize the flavorings, to help prevent all those duplicates, and actually make some things function much better… May I suggest just creating your own ID? I do the same, and keep an Excel sheet with my inventory - it so much easier to find what you need in a hurry! :smile: See the first reply:

1 Like

I did see that. I will have to organize like you then. Care to share your spreadsheet? All I have is a tablet. I can edit them. But I have no idea how to create one from scratch.

1 Like

I’ll take two…lol

3 Likes

Do you ever have anything leak in there?

How does this stirr the juice? I defiently like the heat plate idea.

@Chris_C - Not to get the topic off course, I am sending you a message.

I improved on this idea. I stuck the chopsticks into a block of flower-arranging foam. Not they don’t move and my bottles dry nicely! I also added toothpicks for the caps and tips.

5 Likes

In continuing with my DIY flavorings Lego style wine boxes, I was lucky enough to receive a nice size box with an operational wooden lid! I can’t tell you how nice that is and I don’t know if it’s just my luck or it’s common place but in the past 25 years I have had only 1 box that had the original lid.

So anyways I have all my juices stacked up in chests of varying sizes, some with 10 bottles all the way up to some with 100+. My point being it’s horrible when I want to find a specific juice and it’s akin to playing the game of memory, which really sucks when I don’t have one…

So I took the wine box and filled it with my more frequently used or advs as it were and since it came with the lid/door, it helps with any light too

The box as is

Lid partially open

Lid off and before shelving

I didn’t have anymore stakes left for the shelving in this one, so I temporarily cut cardboard shelves, bent a wire hanger in the shape of the shelves, took some smooth leather like gaffer/duct tape and Voilà! I’ll spare you the step by step pictures of all that :wink:

So now I have a fast and organized place to keep whatever and will be stacked in the “lab”

Just need to remove the shipping labels but it sure beats playing memory

10 Likes