Storing flavour concentrates

need help what’s the best temperatur e to store flavour concentrates at from day to day got a good few now and obviously not going to be using them all at once any help appreciated

10 Likes

Well, I store them on shelves and have no direct light in the room: As more of a vampire that keeps them all happy for me in the UK. If you are in a hot region, then storing in a fridge may be a better idea.

8 Likes

Oh and welcome to the forums. Sorry, I forgot the welcome: I am distracted by a PM chat with another new member.

8 Likes

Mine are in a cupboard as my mixing room is very bright and hot in summer. I prefer to keep them as cool as I can without too many fluctuations, but I don’t believe you need to refrigerate unless you live in a really hot area.

Welcome to the forum. :smiley:

10 Likes

Same here. I keep mine arranged in a few spice and nail polish racks on a wall…room temperature, out of direct sunlight

11 Likes

Where we differ: I have mounted guttering to accommodate my mains. And, the nail polish display holders for the VTAs and additives. But it’s cold enough here to use mounting tape on all.

6 Likes

Welcome and glad you joined.

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @Seth16.

Some i store in glass in the fridge, they are mostly natural extracts. The rest i normally store on wood dvd racks in a cool part of the house but we are in the middle of a move out of state so they are in small bins by brand in the basement.

9 Likes

I store most mine in a coule mini fridges . I have done this for years . One thing i would suggest is to keep the fridge set to its warmest settiing , this should keep fridge between 50 and 55 degrees Farenheit which i have fou d the best temp for flavors also our old pal Walt for RF suggested the temp . Cool dark area is more than suitable though

9 Likes

Welcome to ELR @Seth16. You’ve already received some good answers, and “Room Temperature” about sums it up. Now, I don’t know where you’re located, or how hot it gets in the summer, and/or whether or not you use air conditioning, as I had a friend who’s HVAC went out last Summer, and he had window units for their bedrooms, but left his mixing lab un-conditioned, and the room got QUITE hot, and many of his flavors darkened substantially because of this. Sunlight, and higher temperatures should be avoided it at all possible.

For all of my small bottles (and there’s quite a few), I use nail polish racks, with multiple table top, and wall mount racks. All of my Natural Extracts i.e. Medicine Flower, VSO Flavors, I store in a fridge.

12 Likes

I keep my fridge at 40 is that ok still? I keep my concentrates in my crispers.

6 Likes

I’m going to have to let @fidalgo_vapes answer that @ladycrooks. I briefly tried storing some of my artificial flavors (everything except VSO, and Medicine Flower) and I had some darkening in some of them. I have no clue why that happened, and pulled them out, and have had all of them (artificial) on racks since. I should probably research and find out why that happened to me. Didn’t make sense, because oxidation occurs faster when things are warmer, which is why we freeze our NIC, so I figured, colder temp, longer lasting right ?

5 Likes

Well 40 is cold and you will get more crytalizing from some of them .Walt was a Manufacturer of flavors and advised keppimg flaves 50 to 55 so i take his word…Ive never had a problem in almost 7 years beaide the occasional flavor crytalizing which doesnt happen at the 50 to 55 except for AP , Malted Milk TPa, and INw Shsha vanilla

7 Likes

Agreed @fidalgo_vapes.

4 Likes

Wth? SD, that is one huge stockpile of flavors. Do you keep them after they expire and if so, have you observed changes in flavor profile?

@Seth16 , welcome mate.

5 Likes

I have yet to throw any flavors away, regardless of age yet @IsNoGood1. I track my burn rate(s) so I try and rotate product as best I can.

5 Likes

@IsNoGood1 I haven’t noticed much change, some darken with age, and citruses might loose a little zing, but overall, I’ve had no issues.

5 Likes

I recently retested a concentrate which has to be at least seven years old, probably older. I presume a concentrates actual ingredients play a part so for the sake of clarity it was Lorann Butter Rum. All my concentrates are in their original plastic (HDPE?) bottles.
Others far more knowledgeable than me perhaps can help with that.
Initially I kept all concentrates in a new fishing tackle box which was simply sitting behind my bar. As time progressed and my stash grew I kept them in plastic containers with lids in a cupboard.
I live in Western Australia which can become a little toasty at times but my home does have air conditioning. In summer our temperatures are regularly above 35 deg C.

That rather lengthy preamble was leading to the fact that the Butter Rum tasted just fine and in fact I really enjoyed it.

7 Likes

There you go @Gazza7. Don’t toss it, unless the bottle is on fire !!!

I’m SURE, there have to be some flavors that just plain go funky after years past their Best By Date. Surely, right ??

I’ve not experienced any yet, but doesn’t mean they’re not out there.

7 Likes

That’s my thoughts but I couldn’t say with any certainty. As I posted that the thought occurred to me that with any DIY NETS that I attempt I do differ.
My thoughts have always been that its probably wise to keep them in a fridge.

5 Likes