Summertime handcrafted soda

Today’s sodas are super expensive, laden with not so nice ingredients kinda like commercial e liquid, and if you have a carbinator, why not make your own soda?
I’ve dabbled in this a bit but getting the sugar water recipe is critical. Using powdered stevia is a different animal. Trying to get the flavoring right for a quart bottle is tough too. For syrup, I used 2 cups sugar to 20 oz water. Use 4oz syrup and flavoring for a quart bottle. Thing is how much flavoring? Anyone play in the soda craft?

8 Likes

i havent i dont drink a lot of soda but have wanted to get a soda maker because my girl drinks at least one dr pepper a day

2 Likes

Sounds interesting. I like soda but I’ve been trying with marginal success to cut back (hmm sounds like how I used to talk about smoking)
My kids like soda but like you said, expensive and with iffy additives.

Curious: What kind of carbinator do you have? What’s good… cheap?

1 Like

It’s different making your own. Sure you can get syrups but the ingredients and preservatives of some of the energy drinks are not good. One had sodium citrate I think as a preservative and the stuff made me puff up like a blowfish. Not to mention the price. Found a source for liquid caffeine today. Called Kaffin8. Not very expensive. Need to use a liquid and not tablets(utter disaster)
The 2C sugar and 20oz water yields a decent base. I’ve got some flavors that I don’t use in e liquids but I’m sure I could find a use for them elsewhere

1 Like

I just picked up the soda stream a few years ago, got a adapter kit to use with a 5 pound gas cylinder from air gas. The adapter is from fizz doctor or something like that. Soda stream replacement gas cylinders are $20! I can get a 5 pound bottle co2 for $10 which will last several months

2 Likes

If I take up another hobby my husband will… divorce is not a strong enough word.

6 Likes

But if you made it seem you were making it for him he would go along with it.

Hmmm… it is an idea.

Nope, wont work he doesn’t like pop. Maybe Vodka flavored pop. Can you make Vodka flavored pop?

3 Likes

Dunno. Vodka is bitter sort of like caffeine and water. Could try something like that. I did try a Capella cola and it’s pretty spot on for coke. Used .5 ml per quart water. Kinda weak. With sugar in there plus caffeine and carbonation, I think I’d have to go with 1.5-2ml flavoring per quart

2 Likes

I’m very far from expert soda maker and really kinda fishing for help. Lots of smart people on here to make all kinds of things

2 Likes

I’ve always wanted one of those soda makers but it just seems like it would break me financially with the initial investment.

1 Like

Guess all hobbies are initially $. Try getting someone in the family on board and the husband will follow

3 Likes

If you didn’t want to get the carbinator, you could always use club soda. I need to find some acacia gum but for some reason it’s a very rare find. Guess the big brand soda makers hoard it. It adds mouthfeel. A fuller richer taste compared to soda without. Without gum acacia, the finished product will taste ok but very light giving the impression that something is off. It’s not but also not what one is used to

Does not surprise me a bit.

1 Like

Maybe @Walt_RealFlavors can chime in on this. Those Hip syrups he is working on may consist of RF flavorings. Perhaps he can share a little info.

4 Likes

he may even have a possible source for gum acacia btw acacia is a beautiful hardwood floor :wink:

4 Likes

250ml of purified water
2 pounds of cane sugar (Do not use beet!)
60 ml of flavoring (Super Concentrate)
3 grams of Citrus Acid (citrus flavors) or 3 grams of Malic Acid (if berry or other)
(add extra if you want the flavor to be sour)
8ml of coloring (your choice)

This yields a 32oz bottle and cost you $4.24 (using prices for a gallon of Super Concentrate and other supplies bought at Sam’s Club)

1oz Syrup to 12oz of carbonated water.

To make!

Heat the Sugar and water mixture until it dissolved but do not let it get too hot… (Not making candy here)

Once clear, remove from here and let chill. As the flavor is chilling and still warm, add the color, flavoring, and acid to the batch. The flavoring will fizz a bit, but that is the little bit of alcohol burning off super fast.

ALERT: If you burn your house down or make something super gross… SOOOOO not my fault. Also, do not try using PG based flavors… Eww ha. This is just a recipe I have used before in our testing, nothing more.

6 Likes

Would you extract some sap from your floor and send it over?

2 Likes

Thanks Walt for coming to the rescue! Have any acacia gum too?

2 Likes

I have some, not much but how much are you looking for?

I LOVE mine. We have a machine here that makes fizzy water just like it on demand.

3 Likes