Sweeteners When , Why , What and Where to use

Appreciate that, I just worry sometimes about posting in the wrong places so I don’t “derail” the thread. Chalk it up to newbie fears, lol.

8 Likes

Derailing is always going to happen…

7 Likes

I gave hubby some alpha lipoic acid, which you get get at Whole Foods or Health Food stores to help him conquer the “Covid tongue”. It helped him after a few days, but he still has trouble eating steaks, bacon, pepperoni and roasted peppers, items he used to love.

9 Likes

What does ACV or vinegar or saline do to a recipe and why? How do you know when to add it or not?

6 Likes

@KC111

@ozo (The Expert), just got into that …

9 Likes

Saline, I use fairly often, and if used correctly, can enhance flavors JUST like they do in food. It can open up your flavor receptors. TOO much however, just sizzles, pops and gets salty. Very light enhancer.

10 Likes

Thank you SD! Will watch video when headache goes away. Appreciate the advice!!

7 Likes

When I looked in my notes, the only time Erythritol came up is under Rick Daddy’s or VSO Sweet. Are their any other common brand sweeteners from BCF that contains Erythritol? I have many sweeteners, but I don’t know which ones contain specifically Erythritol.

5 Likes

I’ve watched 2 out of 4 videos, will finish them tomorrow. Very informative, yet leaving many more questions. It is a learning and educational process. Thank you.

5 Likes

Post away- and let Fiddy sort it out!! :innocent:

7 Likes

I’m trying not to ruffle any feathers quite yet… Maybe after I gain more knowledge then I can stick my tongue out at anybody, then I will. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

My experience, least coil gunking first:
Sweetness FLV > Sugar Daddy (don’t know if i have original) > Sweetener WF > SS Purilum

I stopped using it for this reason. I never had SS CAP (i’m probably the only one; i totally hate any artificial tasting sweetener in RL, so i never bought it), but they say Purilum is less gunking than CAP (and also not tasting that artificial, which i can confirm; i could tolerate it if it wasn’t gunking so much).

Another point for Purilum if gunking is no problem for you is that it doesn’t mute flavors that much (here i’d probably go Purilum/Sweetness > Sugar Daddy > Sweetener WF)
and regarding the strenght (Purilum > Sweetness > Sugar Daddy > Sweetener; they say CAP is stronger than Purilum and the new Ultimate Sweetener JF is exceptionally strong).

10 Likes

FJ sent me a free JF ultimate sweetner, frankly a bit wary of trying it out. PUR SS gunks at even 1 drop per 30ml. FLV sweetness and SSA vanilla sugar are my current gotos. I use them low, 1-3 drops per 30ml.

11 Likes

@Mikser (and all), has anyone ever compiled an ACTUAL list of popular sweeteners, and their ingredients ??

7 Likes

My brain doesn’t work in that fashion… I just read your reviews- and buy them!

11 Likes

Isn’t Ultimate Sweetener sucralose?

5 Likes

I have all that and more except for that one. Isn’t that sucrose?

4 Likes

“Ultimate Sweetener (2x Strength Sucralose) by FlavorJungle”

Never heard of it before and not sure why it would be needed if it is just sucralose.

Good discussion about sweeteners. My 2 cents I have had the best success with CAP SS, PUR SS, NR Stevia and FLV Sweetness. I do have Sugar Daddy, WF sweetener, FW sweetener and TFA but they are not as effective IME.

I do like to use a marshmallow or another sweet flavor before resorting to a sweetener. I have no problem reaching for a sweetener if it needs it.

I was anti sweetener when I first started DIY because it was just frowned upon. When I started mixing for friends I started experimenting to get a little closer to commercial juices. I find that 0.50% super sweet can really make a difference and is not the coil death machine I initially thought.

I am currently making a juice for someone who wanted it sweeter than I normally make. It is pretty close to commercial sweetness with 0.25% PUR SS and 1% FLV Sweetness. It is more coil gunking than my normal recipes but surprisingly not as bad as I thought it would be. I have gone through 30ml myself in a subohm tank and it hasn’t gunked up yet.

My advice is try the same recipe, one with sweetener and one without and make up your own mind.

10 Likes

What is IME?
I agree with you, if I do use sweetener, it is in small amounts. I don’t change the coils as often as I should, and definitely not as often as every 60ml of juice. Some of my sub ohm coils are great until about a month, and my favorite MTL device is the Smok Fetch Pro, and my coils lasts me several months in that one. However, with my Aspire Prime X device, I feel like it needs a coil change every week.
I appreciate your advice and I do have CAP SS, PUR SS, NR Stevia, FLV Sweetness, Sugar Daddy, WF sweetener, FW sweetener and TFA and a few others like Sweet (VSO), Sugar Mate (VTA), Sugar Cane (VTA), Vanilla Sugar (VTA), Ultra Sweet (GLF), Candy Sugar (FE), but many of them are still unopened. It is for that “in case, someday I will find a recipe to use it in” scenario. I will make note to self regarding your percentages like 0.50% super sweet cap, 0.25% PUR SS and 1% FLV Sweetness.
Thank you!!

6 Likes

I think so, pretty much just a strong super sweet from the little I read.

5 Likes