Switching to a mod with removable batteries

They still have the VTC mini, use code July20

If youā€™re cheap as hell, why would you want to spend more money on 2 batteries and a charger? Thatā€™s about $30 extra to spend.

And if youā€™re going to spend that much, why not buy a mod that costs that much and has a built-in battery?

But if youā€™re going to go with batteries, Iā€™d agree with Cloyce - Samsung 25-R batteries and a Nitecore charger.

2 reasons that I like about removable batteries are, first 2 batteries are going to cost about 10-12 dollars (okay to be honest your going to want 4 (for a duel battery mod)). having the second set charged/charging while using the other set, so you arenā€™t worried about having to charge your mod. Secondly, Iā€™ve killed off 2 eleaf iStick enclosed battery mods, I have been seriously thinking of getting a couple of their newer iSticks that allow for you to use your own batteries for my stash box though, I do like the iSticks small size (I currently have my Therom tank on a iStick 100). Point is, once the battery dies on an enclosed battery mod, you have to purchase a new mod.

EDIT: the therom tank is on a 50 watt iStick not a 100 wattā€¦ but I use low wattage anyway so it isnā€™t an issue.

1 Like

I understand all the many reasons why batteries are good. And I understand all the many reasons why built-in batteries are good. And I understand all the reasons why each is bad.

Iā€™m just keying off the statement about the OP being ā€œcheap as hell.ā€ Being cheap as hell and spending extra money on batteries & charger donā€™t go together.

1 Like

For me I think it was mostly psychological, I would think here I was having to buy a new device instead of just a couple of batteries. I was already playing around with the zmax mod for a good while though so I did have a couple batteries and a charger.

1 Like

I would imagine that once the VTwo mini is totally rolled out, theyā€™ll stop putting out upgrades for the VTC mini. But, I could be wrong. I know the firmware for the VTwo is 4.0x while the VTC has been 3.0x. Not that that means anything. VTwo says it has dual circuit protection. Not sure about that either. And I like the clock. Iā€™ve wanted a clock on my mod for ages cuz Iā€™m super lazy. LoL. I donā€™t wear a watch and there are times at school when my phone is in my backpack that itā€™d be handy to be able to check how much time I have left without having to put my bag down somewhere and root through it. Thatā€™s just me tho. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I have many reasons to choose between different power types. They key pros & cons, IMO, follow:

1. Built-In LiPo (LavaBox, Axis, hCigar VT133) - Well, DNA200 so thereā€™s that. But they bring on a lot of power, and quickly. USB charging only, but I am very rarely further than 3 feet from a USB port. Batteries are replaceable. These are expensive.

2. Dual-18650. (Sigelei 213, Cloupor GT, VaporFlask Classic) All the pros of 18650s, plus a lot of power and long-lasting. But heavy. Though these can conceivably be recharged by USB, I would never, ever recharge a dual-18650 using USB.

3. Single-18650. (Every ProVape ever made, ProtoVapor, many others) All the pros of 18650s, easy to carry a spare, can be recharged via USB but Iā€™d prefer not to. Alas, max wattage and power strength are often not sufficient for me, so I donā€™t use them any more. Plus, they donā€™t last long enough for me, so I always needed a spare battery.

4. Built-In unknown battery types. (Coolfire IV TC100, Cuboid Mini, several others) Convenience of USB charging, almost always cheaper than any of the above considering the needed gear (spare batteries & charger). But they need to be considered ā€œdisposableā€ in the long run, though Iā€™ve never, ever used one long enough to have the battery die. I always discarded/replace then because they irritated me for some other reason (like failures due to cheapness, or a lack of features that come with newer mods).

In the end, I trust 18650 mods more than built-ins of any kind, but I love the convenience of being able to charge via USB - which is far more available than 18650 chargers. I always leave home with a USB-chargeable mod, sometimes two. I never leave home with two 18650 mods. I live in a constant fear of something breaking (thus a backup) and running out of electricity (thus the USB).

Out of all the mods I currently have, and considering my wifeā€™s mods, my current favorites are the Sigelei 213 and the Coolfire IV TC100. I own 2 of the latter, and Iā€™ve been considering another of the 213s. Iā€™m trying to hold off on another 213 since I figure (as usual) that I have enough mods - but there always comes a time that I canā€™t resist buying something new.

1 Like

If I was buying mod right now it would be another iPV5. This mod will run anything you throw at it.

iPV5 - $31.99
http://vapenw.com/ipv5-200w-mod-by-pioneer4you
20%off4thJuly

4 x Samsung 18650 25r - 4 x $4.00 = $16.00
http://www.illumn.com/batteries-chargers-and-powerpax-carriers/batteries/18650-samsung-inr18650-25r-r5-2500mah-green-high-discharge-flat-top.html

Nitecore i4 Charger - $14.50
http://www.illumn.com/nitecore-i4-intellicharger-2014-edition.html

Total $62.49

3 Likes

Anybody throwing out your E-Leaf I-Sticks, please PM meā€¦I will gladly pay postage for those babiesā€¦Batteries are replaceableā€¦:slight_smile:

1 Like

Could you possibly weigh that without tank and batteries for me? Iā€™ve debated it several times but it seems like it would be heavy. I got a Cloupor GT instead, since it weighed only 99 grams. It was like $33 and worth every penny (/sarcasm). My Sigelei 213 weighs 132gm, but itā€™s a lot more expensive.

It weighs in at 214.40g without batts. Itā€™s a bit heavy but I really like that. My wife loves hers too and I thought it would be too heavy for her tiny hands but she prefers it over her single batt evic mini.

2 Likes

Yikes. That weighs more than my VaporFlask Classic - OK only 2 grams. Too heavy for me.

Thanks for checking. Itā€™s greatly appreciated!

1 Like

One that may have been mentioned, but I didnā€™t see in reading this threadā€¦
The Cuboid 150w $37.99
http://vapenw.com/cuboid-150w-tc-mod-by-joyetech

I love mine. Love the feel and itā€™s stability. Iā€™ve purchased 3 so far from
VapeNW (I keep giving my own awayā€¦ ) These are dual battery mods
and I recommend samsung batteries and charger also from Illum, as others have
linked above.

3 Likes

My reasoning is pretty much what @CallMeTut said. If my battery dies in a mod where itā€™s built in, then itā€™s done. If a battery goes bad but itā€™s removable, I can get new batteries that are cheaper than a whole new device. I also like the option of being able to swap out dead batteries for freshly charged ones without having to wait for the device to charge.

5 Likes

When your battery goā€™s dead or you take it out, how doeā€™s the clock reset itself to correct time?

No idea. LoL. Maybe some sort of small internal battery that keeps the time? I have no idea how these things work. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

oops, i meant to say ā€œout of stock in blackā€

I think of myself as cheap as hell, and the reason I like replaceable batteries is when the battery eventually wears out, I want to be able to fix my mod for the price of a new battery rather than the price of a whole new mod.

Iā€™ll be sure to post a reply to this when mine arrives if no one else can speak from experience or has that info.

3 Likes

What is it?

If TC is not a wanted feature, I would go with the istick 100w dual battery (not the TC model - they were built with cheap components.Specifically, the +/- buttons.). The 100w is a bit clunky in size, no frills but it works and I have had no problems whatsoever. Best of all, itā€™s cheap.

For TC, I would recommend the Cuboid. Works decently, small, solid build, reasonably priced and dual battery.

Batteries: 4xSamsung 25r and Nitecore charger.

1 Like

I would assume it has a small capacitance charge that retains the info for a short while. Much the same way you donā€™t have to reset your wattage and TC settings with every battery change. It would be a royal PITA otherwise.

4 Likes