Taking labels off of old store bought juices

I like to recycle those old store bought 30ml juice bottles but sometimes l run across some pretty stubborn glue that holds the labels, would be honored to hear some of your ideas

1 Like

Some soak in hot water / boiling water and then use nail polish remover for the glue.

4 Likes

for me … boiling water for a while then rub with a cloth whilst still warm does the job.

3 Likes

Goo Gone <<<<<<< Smells good and removes all the residual adhesive. A little goes a long way!

7 Likes

A little cooking oil on a rag will take it off. Then wash with soap to get the oil off.

3 Likes

Vinegar works too.

2 Likes

If you use a blowdryer (hair) to heat up the label before peeling it off, you won’t get the glue problem. Everyone above listed alternatives to remove the glue. Goo Gone and Goof Off are great to have around the house, but any solvent like alcohol or nail polish remover or even Charcoal lighter fluid (mineral spirits) will work …a little dab on a Vaper towel …then dispose of outside.

5 Likes

Almost forgot! My mom swears by creamy peanut butter to remove labels and stickers. The oil breaks down the adhesive, and the peanut acts as a very light abrasive.

3 Likes

Goof Off I’m sure thats what your taking about

1 Like

Ha! Goo Gone and Goof Off are competitors. Home Depot has a spray gel which I get all too much use of …don’t ask :wink: at least he didn’t recommend Goof Gone [chuckling]

4 Likes

That would probably do it, it works great removing chewing gum from hair. You’ve got kids right so you know what I mean :sunglasses:

2 Likes

:joy::+1: Just saw that! ROFL

1 Like

:joy::+1: Just saw that ROFL!
Goo Gone :point_left:FTW​:facepunch:

3 Likes

I used to use a lot of different things but a soak in hot water for 1/2 hour - to 45 minutes usually gets most of them to come off.

2 Likes

On the topic of using old shop bought bottles and reusing the ones I have mixed into what is the best way to clean out bottles I’ve tried hot water hot water and washing liquid the latter I find difficult to remove the smell of wash liquid and the aforementioned I can never get rid of the original flavour smell and taste any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

I agree with Mark and Bo. Goo Gone is the only one I’d recommend, and I’ve used it for going on ~20 years?

No nasty smell like fingernail polish, not flammable like lighter fluid (Zippo) or charcoal starter, and no harmful fumes like MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone).

2 Likes

You say bottles, but then mention smell, so I can only assume you mean plastic.

If that’s the case, then it’s a safe bet the flavoring has permeated the plastic itself. Someone may have some suggestions, but personally, I’d say if it bothers you, pitch them. Plastic’s cheap.

There’s only one instance so far that I’ve had where a flavoring has actually been strong enough to permeate a glass bottle, and that’s TFA’s Kona Coffee.

1 Like

Depending on how strong the lingering flavor is, I’ve had a little bit of luck soaking plastic bottles in baking soda and water overnight. But like @Sprkslfly said, they’re so cheap it might be more worth it to buy new ones.

1 Like

I need to find a good amber glass dropper bottle seller then I’ve bought quite a few and they always seem to turn up and the dropper has the bulbous tip which can be quite a pain but thanks anyway for the input appreciate it

IPA, mainly because I have a shit ton of it through work, If the bottles are glass I soak em in hot water first, my vinyl labels just come straight off that way, then the IPA to clean any residue off after.