The ELR Users Guide to Creating Your Flavor Stash

Big Smiles, thanks so much! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I know this is an older comment but I just wanted to point out something fairly important.

If youā€™ll notice in the first screen picā€¦
Lime - Inawera Flavours 4794 (even though itā€™s the wrong naming convention) came up first simply because there were more recipes at that time than Lime (Inawera) 4751, as shown in the second pic.

The database ā€˜mergeā€™ that @Sprkslfly performs periodically had not been done on that particular flavor name yet. Thatā€™s why you see the disparity in recipe numbers.

8 Likes

Good point, but using ā€œFlavor Listā€ seems to bring up the most accurate results (as you had previously pointed out) and thatā€™s the way I have been using to add flavors to my stash with no problems whatsoever, actually seems simpler to me!
BTW @TorturedZen gotta thank you again for helping me out with my stash when I first started out here.

5 Likes

Maybe an idea - Let only mods enter new flavors, not everyone.

• all duplicates, all mistakes and nonsense entries would be removed
  • beneficial for users (no confusion; they will just have to spend more than 5 seconds to find their flavor rather than adding nonsense own entries)
  • easier to find for users
  • for new and non-familiar flavors names you can open a thread and everyone could be entering their flavors there if they want to (and mods later add them).
  • thereā€™s not much work with this since not thousands of new flavors appear (less work than with removing garbage)

It would prevent this

5 Likes

Thank you for the comment. The points you make are all valid, however those ideas among many others have all been put on the table many times before. I can only share my perspective when I say there appears to have been very little progress in terms of users entering flavor names, along with a general overhaul of the recipe calculator and DB.

The person responsible for making it happen hasnā€™t provided much more than excuses for the last couple of years. But itā€™s his rodeo and until he makes the recipe side issues a top priority all we can do remain hopeful.

5 Likes

Problem is sometimes the proper entry is not the one with the most notes/recipes. Especially on the older flavors.

3 Likes

I might be able to tell you why if you post an example.

3 Likes

I just know I have a couple in my stash, honestly donā€™t remember which ones.

3 Likes

Ok, well if I had to guess Iā€™d say the incorrect name was entered by someone and people went with that one. Then, the correct name could have been entered sometime later and a database merge was never performedā€¦which would have corrected the naming issue.

4 Likes

Yep. My point was most will go with the name that has the highest hits.

3 Likes

Donā€™t think I have run into that yet, least I hope not. There is a duplicate checker here:
https://e-liquid-recipes.com/flavor/dupecheck
Where you can check and submit dupes to be reviewed by staff :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Hereā€™s a suggestion

Example for WF ā€“ remove all flavors with less than 10 recipes and 98% of work is done; only a couple of entries need to be removed manually later (ofc do this next month since WF just added some new flavors recently).

Example for FLV ā€“ remove all entries with less than 50 recipes and 98% of work is done (unless you want to keep 5%, 10% and 20% and xx% dilutions as separate flavors; personally i would remove those meaningless entries, but what do i know)

2 Likes

If Iā€™m understanding you right then flavors with less than 10, 50 or x number recipes would eventually be absorbed into the correct convention when a database merge is performed. Assuming they were added to the Dupes list beforehand.

But thatā€™s like closing the barn door after the horses got out. Removing/merging flavor names is a temp workaround to the bigger issue.

5 Likes

@TorturedZen Iā€™m trying to add some DIY Flavor Shack flavors and itā€™s been difficult. I see DIYFS, diyfs, DFS and DIY. Which is the correct abbreviation? Also, when I search the flavor under those different abbreviations most of the time I find next to nothing. For an example, DIYFS has 2 caramels, one from their Flavor Array collection prefaced with AR on their site and the other is just called Caramel. But try a search on either/or and you donā€™t find much help. I realize they might not be commonly used but if there was a definitive place for each one it would be easier to sort out and build from there. Do we have a correct abbreviation for DIY Flavor Shack? Thanks TZ :smiley:

4 Likes

I know you directed this question to @TorturedZen and he is way more capable of answering this than I am, but just my two cents worth: I believe the correct entry is DIYFS :ok_hand:
(Oh yeah and plz let me know how you make out with the Caramel AR :wink:

3 Likes

IDK, really not following what you suggest, I go to flavor list, type in the flavor, sort by recipes, 100% done :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

(note: i didnā€™t know youā€™re working on this already; that is GREAT @TorturedZen
i just read what @Rocky02852 said ā€˜Where you can check and submit dupes to be reviewed by staffā€™ and i offered a simple solution with least work that may help. In any way, iā€™m glad this will be solved eventually)

To not be misunderstood, iā€™ll give an example what i meant: Rich Cinnamon FLV:

We have 17 entries here for the same flavor + additional with names ā€˜rich cinamonā€™, RICH CINā€™ and RICH CINAā€™ = meaning 20 entries (but probably more) for ONE (1) single flavor! Meaning 19/20 are too much (or 95% entries for this particular flavor are pure garbage and annoying for the community; not helping).

So i meant just to delete those entries (and ofc merging would be great too, but i assume that would need way more work than a simple delete). This would make searching and reading and finding flavors much easier for users and the community and especially for newbies (and users would not be making that many entries later since easier to find).

Another, more elegant way is to move all those recipes with nonsense names into private and available to their creators only ā€“ and allow them to be published publicly only with the proper names.

Maybe this sounds rough for some, but the truth is that those fictional flavor names are useful just for creators and not for the general public or average reader. And itā€™s not just Rich Cinnamon; we have 5 entries for Tahitian Vanilla Cream WF and 13 entries for Alpine SB FLV. And so on. Keeping all those alive does not help anyone and does not make website friendly to users and it is great that this will finally be solved.

I had to explain more clearly what i meant to not be misunderstood; and reading you are already working on this is GREAT news! Thanks for your work @TorturedZen. Really appreciated.

3 Likes

Precisely! I have no problem with that and itā€™s not that hard. But it seems some have this problem (and partly website is to blame for this). Just wanted to offer a solution to the problem there.

3 Likes

Ah ha, I see what you mean, the top hit for Rich Cinnamon would be the choice for me when adding to stash, as far as deleting the others (or those with less than 10 recipes etc) is not an ability of the user, and I see your point about some entries may be useful to the user that entered the dupe, the way I see it until all new flavor entries into the data base require approval itā€™s like shoving shit against the tidešŸ‘Œ

4 Likes

Yes. I wasnā€™t focusing on flavors adding to MY stash, but to general search button where 17 different Rich Cinnamon appear while there is only one.

That makes a confusion and helps noone. I have zero problem what people are adding to THEIR stash or how do they name THEIR flavors for THEMSELVES, but on a public search it would be great if one flavor is entered only once, not same flavor entered 10 times under a slightly different name.

3 Likes