The Elusive Honey Bun

So, I’ve been watching the Developed Crew trying to make a great honey bun for a few weeks and thought it might be fun to try and build the honey bun that seems to be eluding everyone. Being the geek I am I went to find the ingredients of the standard store bought honey bun and thought I’d try to recreate it from that. Want to play along LOL have any suggestions? I’ll list what I’m going to try below but here are the ingredients: (can’t add any cinnamon to mine but it’s in the ingredient list LOL)

Enriched Bleached Flour (Wheat Flour, Barley Malt, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Riboflavin [Vitamin B2], Folic Acid), Water, Sugar, Palm Oil, Dextrose, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oil with TBHQ to Preserve Flavor, Yeast. Contains 2% or Less of Each of the Following: Soy Flour, Nonfat Dry Milk, Dried Honey, Eggs, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Wheat Starch, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and/or Cottonseed Oil, Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate), Corn Starch, Soybean Oil, Salt, Calcium Stearoyl Lactylate, Calcium Carbonate, Agar, Emulsifiers (DATEM, Mono- and Diglycerides, Soy Lecithin), Calcium Sulfate, Calcium Propionate and Potassium Sorbate (to Retain Freshness), Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Peroxide, Amylase Enzymes, Natural and Artificial Flavors (Contains Lemon), Colors (Annatto Extract, Titanium Dioxide, Turmeric).

TOC’S Honey Bun Trial

0.60% Chocolate Mousse (VTA)
3.00% Glazed Donut (OOO)
2.00% Glazed Donut (SC) (WF)
0.60% Malt (NF)
1.00% Milk and Honey (Flavorah)
0.50% Sweetness (Flavorah)
1.00% Vanilla Custard (CAP)
1.20% Vanilla Pudding (Flavorah)

Flavor total: 9.9%

Haven’t mixed this yet LOL so if you want to chime in I’ll definitely listen. @fidalgo_vapes I know you had some ideas on the show … dang it… it’s a honey bun how hard can it be LOL

6 Likes

My two cents:
Don’t know what it tastes like, but standing to Wikipedia, it definitely got Cinnamon in it:

Therefore either Cinnamon Danish Swirl is in need or/Rich cinnamon/Cinnamon Crunch,by the look of it.

Glazeds from my point of view are not going to give that fried taste and the balance of 2 GDs could be very difficult, as I suggested in the show I’d put some FA Joy @ .5/.75 (I saw you used the Malt… ) and think about changing the OOO GD with FA Zeppola or even better CDS.

The baked bit, where you probably used the Choc Mousse (Didn’t see any recipe with chocolate in it) at that percentage to darken it, (just guessing) I’d go for FA Liquid Amber.
the Icing… FLV Frosting and Vanillin 10%?? just an idea.
My way? I’d layer the FLV with OOO Vanilla Frosting (it is good!) and take the CAP VC approach off… but just my thoughts, for what they’re worth…

3 Likes

I can’t do the Zepolla or cinnamon but I do think for those that can it’s a great idea. On the chocolate… it was just in the ingredients listed for the honey bun for cocoa :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve seen many people mention this over the years. I’ve tried it more than a couple times and even though it doesn’t taste bad in some recipes, I always taste the tobacco through it. No matter what % used, I’ve used it much lower as some recipes ask for, no matter how long it steeps.

Aren’t there any other methods to give it a baked flavor? Or instead of using additives, aren’t there just flavors that taste baked without any additives?

5 Likes

hard last nite I started but im trying to only make the bread base bc that going to be the hard part my First version …i did order some flavors last night that I think may help.like FLV sweet dough

3 Likes

I don’t have the frosting from FLV but someone said Cream Cheese Icing was similiar? Any thoughts on that?

2 Likes

I have that sweet dough…nice idea!

3 Likes

I disagree , but its been awhile since ive used CCI

3 Likes

oh no, two very different concentrates. FLV Frosting is definitely worth getting

5 Likes

I ate a honey bun last night and its not fried like a glazed donut per say , its more fluffy like a cinnamon roll without all the Cinnamon

3 Likes

Following that line of thoughts, probably LBs Baked Cinnamon Roll/Baker’s touch could work.
Also FLV fried or sweet dough could make the recipe something out of the usual standards.

Well done @anon28032772 for switching my brain to :ON :rofl: :joy:

4 Likes

You had me on the without cinnamon LOL

3 Likes

Are you a mind reader?? :rofl:

4 Likes

LOL so are we all in agreement? Sweet dough goes in hahahha

3 Likes

Ya as much as I love the developed guys that comparison was off…I always have to remember Flokart comes from the commercial side of development so they do mix different comared to is Snobs over here lmao…

3 Likes

LB Baker’s touch? It’s got a bit of cinnamon though.

5 Likes

Yes o thonk so but I wont have it for a few days …i do like the bakers touch idea…

3 Likes

I can’t do the cinnamon in any aspect so that leaves me with sweet dough… what about yellow cake JF or is that too much?

2 Likes

I don’t follow any of these youtube things anymore so you completely lost me… what makes us snobs and how to they mix differently?

5 Likes

Not a lot though…What will make the sweet dough rise??? @Woftam had a great idea to use cupcake batter.to make it a little.greasy

5 Likes