The Flavor Apprentice Reviews

I cant even stand 1 drop in 30 mL … I know exactly what you mean Bro!!!

I did the sucker punch clone and I guess its the flavor (CAP). I thought it would be one i really liked but to me its musty and maybe spicy? My next flavors I will be ordering will be FA I’ll get a small sample from them and see??? or maybe my wizard labs nic is spicy? I’ve been considering ordering another brand NIC in vg since i mainly try to stay at 30/70.

I agree…nic has a major effect on flavor …also add during testing…your method btw…read it somewhere on a forum a couple yrs ago…ty…

I can’t seem to find that document?

@Taz1 I checked that link and the file was gone. I have it on my HD as PDF.
I’ll figure out a way to upload it somewhere to share. (Maybe there’s a way to do it here in the forums)

I’ll let ya know.
Iceman7

Sweet thanks iceman😉

Here is the Document “How to test flavor”. Iceman sent it to me. We couldnt figure out how to upload pdf file so I just copied and pasted the 1st page. Thanks Iceman for sending it to me.

Test flavor process using NON nicotine PG liquid Base

NOTE: Units can be drops, cc’s or anything you are comfortable/accurate with using. Big eye dropper,
syringe, pipette, etc.

Page 1 of 3
Quick TIPS and TRICKS in making ejuice recipes.

The first step after buying your supplies is to start DIYing .Testing and getting a feel for your flavors and
FlavorNotes. If you don’t know what your flavors taste like at various percentages its like trying to mix blindfolded.
Test your flavors individually so you know how each one can work in a recipe. This will also give you a general
idea of how concentrated each flavoring is.

How to test each flavor.

Fill a 3ml bottle with 20 drops of PG with a dropper .
Then add 1 drop of flavoring with the same size dropper. Can be the same one.
Shake the bottle and drip 3 drops into an atomizer and vape it (5%) .
o NOTE : Hold in mouth and exhale through nose. You are NOT taking a hit, you are testing for
flavor (“FlavorPuff”). You will get better Hints of Flavor.
Then add 2 drops pg and 1 drop flavoring to keep the bottle at the same level .
Next drip 3 drops and vape (10%) .
Then repeat for 20-25% .Be sure not to undershoot the “sweet spot” *Remember what it tastes like when
its at the over % flavored point.
On flavors you think are going to be stronger, start with a 40 drop base to start at 2.5% . Its not 100%
accurate but its pretty close .

With each flavor, take notes and write down the flavor perceptions and the “SweetSpot” percentage. Save the
remainder and let it steep for a day. Try it the next day and making notes on the taste after steeping .This will help
you find the “SweetSpot” for every juice . Don’t be too concerned with the standalone percentages because the
numbers you use in recipes will be probably be much lower with the addition of other flavors. Numbers (%'s) do
vary a lot with vendors.

How to use the flavors after learning how each one works alone.

You really need to think of these flavors as a base notes to work from .They don’t really give you the can of icing ,
they give you the ingredients that make the can of icing .Thinking this way will bring out a lot of flavors in your
juices. Say you want to make a chocolate juice .Just using chocolate flavoring will be decent but not anything real
special . You’ve got to make the notes for that chocolate. Say you want it nice and creamy, add some vanilla , to
tweak the chocolate taste add something like cinnamon .Your not trying to make it taste like cinnamon, your just
trying to alter the note of the base flavor. This is just an example . When making a juice you will learn what flavors
will alter the “FlavorNote” to give you what your looking for . You then have better control of which flavors
become more pronounced .

Most flavors will take time to create but it gets fun especially when you nail one. Don’t be afraid to experiment .The
more you play with them, the better you’ll get at making great stuff . Just like a cook, you’ve got to be aware of how
to use FlavorNotes together and the only way to get there is to try it. You learn just as much from doing it wrong as
you do doing it right.

Sometimes your “mix” will be lacking the desired taste. Knowing which flavor should be the “base” is probably the
problem. This is important .Try using the opposite base/dominant flavor in your juice to see how it comes out.

Say you want to make a cookie juice, 10% cookie and 4% vanilla custard. But it just doesn’t taste right. Try 10%
vanilla and 4% cookie to see if this makes it better. Sometime what you think should be your base flavor is the
opposite .

Don’t judge a flavor by its name. Sometimes you can use a flavor that has nothing to do with the juice your
making. You won’t taste that flavor at a lower percentage, but it can tweak the FlavorNote. Popcorn in a strawberry
juice sounds weird but stuff like that can work wonders sometimes.

DONT BE AFRAID TO EXPERIMENT <> The more weird stuff you try, the more you will learn the little tricks
to making the holy grail of ejuice.

8 Likes

With a little clean up on this post of

, @daath might add it to the :: Master Mixer's e-Juice Tips & Tricks e-Liquid Calculator portion of ELR.

Not everyone tests flavors as described, however, some folks might find it useful and a direction to choose, if desired.

3 Likes

I can say the TFA SweeTANGY is just that! Kinda reminds me of Pixi Sticks; nuff said . 5% to 7% is going to be the optimum percentage for this flavor in a mix; choose your fruit flavor(s) and go for it. It’s in the catagory of a shake and vape. Quite enjoyable!

Here’s my first mix using this flavor; very nice.

3 Likes

It’s on my list. I think it’s supposed to be a Sweet Tart flavor, so it sounds like they got it right! :smile:

1 Like

A lot of Vape Shops are using it as Sweet Tarts. At 15% standalone it’s pretty close but may also be compared to Smarties…

1 Like

I tried some TFA Apple Candy recently. It smells fantastic before being used, and even after mixing and steeped. However, it just tastes burnt and horrible! I used it at 7.5%, then 7.5% with 2.5% EM, and then 7.5% with 2.5% TFA Apple. All taste god damn awful and burnt. Anyone else have some experience with this flavor?

I also tried the above with TFA Grape Candy, but not the final mix with TFA Apple and it doesnt have the burnt taste at all. Just an FYI

Sadly this does not always mean it will taste good, agreed. EM would not do a whole lot other than mute the flavor (Maybe this was your intention, I can see where it could be). Perhaps this is one of those TFA flavors to avoid. Wouldn’t be the first. You have convinced me!

1 Like

I just ran across something and thought of your problem @FlyingTurban . This recipe with the TFA Apple Candy, does it contain TFA Brown Sugar? If so this is what I just read and I quote “Make sure you do not put too much brown sugar in, or you will get a burnt taste”. They used no more than 1.5% in their recipe. Hope this helps!!!

2 Likes

Just throwing this out there @ringling and @FlyingTurban, I’ve used TFA brown sugar in upwards to 4% in my mixes (one mix at 4% is an ADV of mine) and I get no burnt taste whatsoever. I use this mix in tanks and drippers, running dual .6 ohm set ups, but never over 30 watts. This is just my experience with this flavor.

2 Likes

@jimk I experienced this burnt taste with just TFA Apple Candy. Funny thing happened yesterday though. I bought some dish soap that was something or another green apple scented and was using it. Once I was rinsing it off with hot water i smelled the same burnt scent i experienced with my TFA Apple Candy!! Im gonna have to get a friend to taste my juice and see if he tastes it as well

2 Likes

This person did not say a max %. The recipe called for the 1.5% so I thought I would mention it. Perhaps 4.1% would give you a burnt taste…lol

1 Like

Hmmm, have you tried it at much lower percentages? Just curious being this other person claims high percentages of Brown Sugar taste burnt. Maybe you should try using it around 2-4% as a mixer flavor and see if you can salvage it…

1 Like

My favorite flavors from tfa i use as stand alone:
Cinnamon red hots at 5%
Jackfruit at 10-15%
Fruity loops w milk at 10-15%
Rainbow drops 10%

The only lorann ive found to be vapable are
Licorice 10%
Bubble gum 10% with 5% lorann tutti frutti

1 Like