The Goon RDA

Just went out and bought me a Goon RDA. I’ve only been vaping just over 2.5 months and have come a long way thanks to this wonderful community. All I have to say is thank you to everyone here that has helped me or from the posts everyone has contributed. I have smoked for 35 years and quit cold turkey since I started vape. Wonderful and so much fun.

I purchased two custom fused claptons (26/36 nichrome .15) right away to get me started. Running dual coil setup at .145 ohms. Tonnes of flavour and massive vapour production. Had it running at 100 watts, since turned my Alien down to 80 on hard hit mode. Can you say nic rush with only 2mg. Wow.

Any suggestions on max and min wattage. 3mm inner diameter at .145.

6 Likes

u could fiddle w/ this calc
http://www.steam-engine.org/modrange.asp

2 Likes

Thanks @worm1, too bad it doesn’t have Smok Alien in mods… Great coil build utility that’s for sure. I know I paid too much but couldn’t sleep thinking about this setup since Thursday lol. 10 bucks for two custom coils… Fasttech here I come. At least I supported the great vape shop I found. Dude in there is really helpful and I returned my Smok TFV8 last week then bought a Cleito 120 and returned that and bought the Goon with no problems. Can’t believe the difference going from TFV4, normal Cleitos to this Dripper… indescribable is all I have to say …WOW Period.

1 Like

sounds like u need to start building your own, u can get rebuildable decks for those…more fun, less cost
p.s sry typed too fast, the goon is rda

1 Like

I am going to start, it has rebuidable deck that is huge, giant clamp style post that can fit any build and any rooky like myself should have no trouble fitting anything in.

Bought some .24 gauge Kanthal to practice simple wraps on for now. I will run these coils for a long time till I need to build. I also have a 10 dollar Aspire RDA I will build simple coils for to practice.
The ones in Goon are Nichrome Fused Claptons
26/36 .15 ohm and I plan to keep these in as long as I can. lol For now! After all, I need to recoup my 10 bucks I paid for them lol.

RDA’s are the best for flavor IMHO. Picked up a few over the last couple of months and love them. The best wattage is the wattage you like best. That’s about all there is to it. I’m sure you’ve heard, start low and work your way up. You will know when you have too much wattage. The flavor will start to diminish and or the heat will become annoying. 80 watts sounds like a pretty decent wattage for a .145Ω build.

3 Likes

Bang on @Walt3, I’m finding in the 80’s somewhere depending on the Flavor I am running… way better than tanks for flavour, juice useage etc. I have use next to F all in juice this weekend using RDA’s. I plugged my TFV4 tank in with the Girl with Dragon Cheeze Cake and I would say it sucked more in one hour than I burned in RDA in 3 days.

I run a .15ohm build at btw 65 and 75 watts depending on the flavors I’m vaping.

1 Like

I’m right in there now about 75-78. Think I will ohm up next time, maybe try .3 ohm next round.

i have the same set up. i keep mine at 60w always and hold the trigger longer. that way as you are hitting it you can tell when to let off. keeps me from scorching the cotton. flavor is best if you can keep the cotton fresh and unless you drip every two hits its easy to get it a touch too hot and it may not taste burnt, but it def loses the premium flavor

3 Likes

i wish the goon didn’t have the single coil airflow option. they should sell it with it or without it. i always have to double check if it’s the right way and will definitely Never use a single coil build so it’s just a pain in the ass. other than that, it’s the only atty i use unless I’m traveling I’ll bring an rta.

1 Like

Thank you for reply @g_man2 … wonderful looking setup, hmm, looks a little familiar except for color lol. I am running it at only 65 plus or minus how my lungs feel …eg. morning or night. Flavours absolutely are killer and density is beyond with this setup IMO. That’s so cool you have exactly the same setup.

Mine is gold by the way…not my first choice but only 3 choices when I bought it.

I also release trigger after a quick pull then hit again while coils are hot. I think it works a little better than blow into mod first. I find coils don’t kick in until 1.45 seconds then you hear and feel the kick.

1 Like

As per the holes, just pull off the entire top. Once holes are set you will never need to adjust. Pull it right off base. Holes stay the same once set. Did I mention this RDA rocks way better than any tank lol. Just did a test of Aspire Clieto and Goon. Goon produced 3 times at least thicker vapour and the same with flavour and uses minimal ejuice compared to tank

2 Likes

Pull it right off base to expose coils then drip. Not sure you know this but if you do I am just trying to help.

1 Like

I just drip right down the center. Not one issue for months.

2 Likes

You couldn’t have made a much better choice, definitely among the very best RDAs out there.
I run N80 Alien coils, 3mm, 5 wrap, 0.1 Ohm mainly on a mech mod, but if I use a regulated mod I vape at around 110 Watts.
But as previously mentioned, do what works best for you.
As you’ll probably get addicted to buying vape gear, like a lot of us.
I’d recommend the Apocalypse or Skill RDAs as your next purchase.
They’re both as good as the Goon, possibly even slightly better flavor.

3 Likes

Thank you @benjy337 I will look into those RDA’s for sure. Wow, you vape way up there. I keep my watts around 65 still but slight pull of air till I hear coils kick in then vape harder. I’ll crank it up and have a test at 100 again, its too strong up that high for me. lol … Ok, I tested it at 100 and its great but I find flavour fades after 2 or 3 good hits. At 65 ish watts I find I drip less often and still great vapour and flavour production…hmm, its great both ways …I’m liking it !

@Chrispdx …Just tried that drip down the middle … not bad I must say
Still like to take top off once in a while though to paint coils and cotton with juice … I will try this more often as well. Vaping is just too cool, many different methods and all are friggin great . I think I’m getting way too nic ed out man, trying out different wattage settings and drip styles lol.
Vape on!

2 Likes

Once my husband and I bought our Goons, we havent looked back. It is nice to find an atomizer that fully meets your needs. I liked some of my old RDA’s and RTA’s but it always seemed like they had a characteristic flaw for me, such as not enough airflow, or limited build room, or even a pain to wick, but the Goon suits my needs perfectly. It has gotten cheaper not buying vape stuff all the time.

2 Likes

i drip down the middle sometimes, but i squeeze it out of the plastic bottles (don’t have a glass eyedropper style right now ) and tend to overdrip and it spills out the airholes. as for taking the barrel off to drip is tough. the o rings on the bottom are pretty tight. i like to keep mine to the brim with juice. it seems that i get the best flavor that way. sometimes i am not paying attention and put it back on with the single airflow, then i hear the difference in sound and am like what the shit! ive heard complaints about the goon airflow being noisy. it is kinda but it doesn’t bother me at all. as i said i like the juice really full, so the sounds of the juice heating is noisy so the airflow sound is nothing. I’ve been only using this set up for quite a while and have no complaints at all with it. i don’t buy anything else as far as hardware either bc what i use is great to me. …although i do have a SMPL mech mod and another goon boxed up in the closet in case the fda bs really happens. the smpl mod is practically unbreakable unless you run it over with a tank so i think if shit hits the fan that is all i should need

1 Like