Tips on making your own rda/rta coils?

Hey, can anyone give me any tips on making my own rda/rta coils? What metal should I use and how do I work out the ohms, what equipment should i use etc? Thanks you in advance :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here’s a start but am sure there are other threads as well, I want to go RTA alot is personal chice w/ flavor vs. clouds, wattage, etc. This is an excellent calc for resistance of your builds http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp Have fun and welcome aboard!

3 Likes

Hi 1337! Previous to using a RTA or RDTA, what have you been using?

3 Likes

Hey TinMAN, I haven’t used any at all, thats why i was asking lol

For people wanting to get into rebuildable atomizers, I always recommend this Rip Tripper’s video. A lot of people don’t care for Rip’s on-air personality, so I’ve taken the liberty of queuing the video to bypass his “face time”. He presents a good amount of information in a clear manner, and this is what really helped me when I was learning how to build.

As to what metal to use, I’d suggest either kanthal or nichrome for wattage builds and stainless for TC(Temp Control) Titanium and nickel are finicky to get running well, so starting with these would be a great way to get frustrated and little else. When you do get ready to wrap your first coil, remember to clean the wire before you wrap the coil. When wire is drawn to the correct thickness, a lubricant is used. This lubricant tastes absolutely horrid, so using a paper towel and isopropyl alcohol to clean the wire is a great way to get rid of the lube. Simply wet the paper towel with the alcohol, fold the wet section of towel over the wire and pull the wire through. Move the wire to a clean section of paper towel and repeat until the paper towel comes away from the wire with no lubricant residue.

4 Likes

That’s a really nice gesture and very much appreciated :joy:

3 Likes

@paingawd makes a good point. Watch some YouTube videos. But don’t watch one. Watch 20. That’s what I did. Ideally one of them will hit the spot. We all learn different ways. We all need someone to say how to do it in terms that fit that person. Reading as much as you can and watching as much as you can will improve your experiance.

1 Like

Try to watch builds for the RTA/RDA/EIEIO you want to build. Each wick differently. Also, your wicking material may differ as well. I have noted that for example DJlsb uses a lot more cotton or at least wider strips that I do. Not sure if the cotton he has is less dense or what, but there is just no way I could cut my cotton as wide as he does and cram it into a coil. In general I do get a lot of good hints from him.

Honestly? I’m one of those people that can’t stand Rip’s over-the-top shenanigans. That being said, I’ve gotten a LOT of good info from his earlier videos, so when I do watch or link one of his tutorials or reviews, I just jump past the first minute or two to get to the meat of the video.

1 Like

I’ve discovered that he’s not the only one to give good tutorials and advice and just go and watch someone else’s video :wink:

I watch too many! LOL! Daniel, Phil(When I’ve got the time or need the depth that he goes into)Grimm, and that Scottish dude that vapes in his garden shed(Can’t remember his name for the life of me right now…) and a whole slew of exotic wire tutorials. There’s a veritable plethora!

1 Like

Thank you heaps guys! Has anyone had much experience with a parellel double wrapped coil? Or Coils under .3 Ohms? Are they dangerous?

If you’re using a regulated device, the resistance doesn’t matter quite as much than if you’re using a mech/unregulated box mod. Basically, you want to be above the minimum resistance of your device’s threshold. That’s about it. If your device has a minimum resistance rating of 0.1 ohms and you’re running a 0.15 ohm build, you’re probably going to feel the mod start to get warm/hot if you’re chain-vaping. If so, then you probably want to give the mod a break and maybe consider building a little higher next time around so that you’re not running the mod at it’s max.

Mech mods are a whole different beast-you NEED to know Ohm’s Law and know what the limitations of your batteries are, and then build within those limits. It’s more work than I want to do, and I’ve been building for 2+years now AND make my own juice. It’s just not worth the hassle to me, so I prefer to stay with regulated devices.

As to dual parallel coils, I’ve made them before. They produce a decent amount of vapor and flavor, but can be a bit of a pain to wrap and get glowing evenly. I’m lazy, so I prefer to make twisted wire with my drill and then use that when I’m wanting a bit more than what simple wire will give. Twisted spaced coils are some of my absolute favorites-Great flavor and easy to make if you’ve got a drill handy.

2 Likes