Triethyl citrate and emulsifying consentrates

Hi I recently noticed that when I thought my coil was finished but I put a juice with 5% TPA strawberry that I was able to use that coil for a few more days and think it’s the Triethyl citrate emulsifier that is key here.
Does anyone know of more consentrates that emulsify? Here are the one I am currently aware of.

TPA Chai Tea Flavor
TPA Dragonfruit Flavor
TPA Dulce de Leche Flavor
TPA DX Hazelnut Flavor
TPA Hazelnut Flavor
TPA Pomegranate Flavor
TPA Strawberry Flavor
TPA Triethyl Citrate

INW Shisha Raspberry
INW Watermelon WG (Wera Garden)
INW Tiramisu

RF Lemon-Lime Soda (discontinued)
RF Sour Gummy
RF Soda Base.

LA Raspberry, Natural

Molinberry Peach Cream
Molinberry Strawberry Milk

WF “None of our flavours have this.”

FA “We do not use triethyl citrate, as it is not polar, so not soluble in water and not useful for our flavor line.”

Consentrates that contain Triacetin.
(Emulsifies and numbs certain taste receptors.)
—————————————————————

TPA Apple Pie Flavor
TPA Black Currant Flavor
TPA Black Sesame Seed Flavor
TPA Blueberry Candy Flavor (Triacetin)
TPA Caramel Flavor
TPA Dill Pickle Flavor
TPA Gummy Candy Flavor
TPA Holiday Spice Flavor
TPA Honeysuckle Flavor (PG)
TPA Horchata Smooth Flavor
TPA Kettle Corn Flavor
TPA Lychee Flavor
TPA Passion Fruit Flavor
TPA Peach (Juicy) Flavor
TPA Pizza Flavor **
TPA Pomegranate Flavor
TPA Root Beer Flavor (Tri)
TPA Silly Rabbit Cereal Flavor
TPA Smooth Flavor
TPA Whipped Cream Flavor

INW Shisha Vanilla

LA Strawberry, Natural

WF BlackCheery JellyBean

FA “Almost all, as we use triacetin as base carrier for our concentrated bases then diluted to make fina flavor.
Triacetin % in final flavor can range from 1-8% roughly”

5 Likes

TPA Whipoed cream is a good blender …

3 Likes

Below are alot of the off-shoots or branch molecules of what your looking at >“Triethyl citrate”< - It’s a long List :wink:

Not sure if any of the off-shoots are used in TPA flavoring but it’s a start. You can look up their Cas# at TheGoodScentsCompany site and pop it into TPA’s list like you did below.

Opps it won’t put the results. Just pop in “Triethyl citrate” where it says (Name within name) and it will generate a long list.

Here are other names for it…
CAS 77-93-0
Triethyl citrate, 99%

Synonyms
triethyl citrate,ethyl citrate,citroflex 2,eudraflex,hydragen cat,citric acid, triethyl ester,triaethylcitrat,triethylcitrate,citric acid triethyl ester,1,2,3-propanetricarboxylic acid, 2-hydroxy-, triethyl ester

Cass%2077-93-0

3 Likes

But what is it that emulsifiers are doing for the coil? Are you thinking they reverse the gunk formations?

4 Likes

Estimated Decomposition Temperature of Triethyl Citrate is around (and higher than) 200 *C.
Hazardous decomposition products:
Thermal decomposition can lead to release of irritating gases and vapors.
Physical and Chemical Properties, Page 3

When Triethyl Citrate decomposes due to hydrolysis (in the presence of Water), the resultant products are Citric Acid (1 mol) and Ethanol (3 mol). These chemicals are also the primary endogenous metabolites (resulting when Triethyl Citrate is absorbed into the human body), and neither of them are particularly toxic.

(Perhaps) some Triethyl Citrate (near the coil-wick interface) is decomposing (in part) to Ethanol, giving the coil-gunk a “bit of a wash” in a solvent in which it is partially soluble - with the (possible ?) consequence of sending some of the resultant “flooby-dust” (perhaps safer burned-off instead) up into the inhaled vapors.

Non-Human Toxicity Values:
LD50 Rat inhalation 1300 ppm (for 6 hrs) - 0.13% of inhaled gases
LD50 Rat inhalation 3500 ppm - 0.35% of inhaled gases
https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCNO+729

4 Likes

So you’re saying that it will dissolved the gunks, thus sending the dissolving gunks in our inhalation of the vapor?

2 Likes

I am saying that … perhapssome … of the coil-gunk (caramelized sugars, and/or their decomposition products) makes it into vapor - and/or gunks the coils, and/or collects and builds-up in the wicking material. When I have applied a bit of Ethanol to SS 316L coil-gunk (together with a metal file), some of the built-up coil-gunk is indeed soluble in the Ethanol - but has a way of then invading the (in my case Rayon) mounted wicking material. When coil-wick interface is at temperature (greater than a 200 *C temp is not unusual), it (may) be that some components of such semi-soluble coil-gunk (may, gradually) enter into vapor particles.

5 Likes

Wouldnt it be easier to change wick rather than try to find a mix that has Triethyl citrate

6 Likes

I believe emulsifiers are more typically sought for their properties of being able to render an otherwise difficult mix more miscible…

First time I’ve seen the notion of using it for ‘gunk removal’.

6 Likes

I use Pods. This is the recipe I used.
5% CAP Candied Watermelon
5% TFA Strawberry ripe
5% TFA Strawberry
2% INW Watermelon
1% GLF Ultra Sweet

3 Likes

I’ve emailed most of the flavouring companies to ask which of their consentrates contain Triethyl Citrate. I will continue to update the list in my original post with their answers.

2 Likes

Smart Recipe…imo

3 Likes

Honestly, I’m a bit sceptical and probably would require more testing and proof before jumping to conclusions.
I’ve used juices that allow me to vape using a gunked up coil, even with the ingredients you mentioned, but I only ever see more gunk building up (to the point where large pieces break off, likely due to thermal stresses).

1 Like

Gotta wonder… where do those bits and pieces go after “breaking off”…
This is why it is suggested to not reuse pods and pre-built coils.
It’s simple enough to change out your cotton and coil on rebuildables…

5 Likes

Yeah, no kidding :astonished: Usually I change coils & wicks every 5 to 7 days but sometimes I forget or don’t have time or opportunity. I just drip through the drip tip and don’t watch my coils so every so often when I change, I’m appalled by the state of it. Thick black crust, bits and pieces of gunk in my wick. With some juices you taste immediately when something’s up. Other juices you can just keep vaping on and on without realizing how much too far you’ve taken it.

4 Likes

I must be an odd ball… I change cotton every day, coils eh… between 3-4 days… depending on what all I am vaping… I think the clearest juice I had (btw cookies and cream really do not darken/change coloring much) my coil has lasted me over a month… but I am more concerned with the cottons… they harbor all kinds of things :slight_smile:

Pods… once they are empty, I toss… I used to reuse… but once I saw how black they get… its a tummy turner!

2 Likes

Depends a lot on how much you vape as well I suppose. I read some people vape 60ml a day. I vape maybe about 6ml a day on a dual coil rda.

4 Likes

it does… I can do 2ml a day in pods or around 30-40ml per day in sub ohms… depending again on the juice, the recipe, if I am taste testing etc… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m waiting for a response from Flavorah but have you noticed any of their consentrates to blend or emulsify? I find FLV Boysenberry to be hard on my Pods but is such a great flavour.

1 Like

All flavors pretty much blend, given enough time. :smiley:

but as far as to clean your coils so you think you can extend your vape… I can’t suggest anything like that. If I understand correctly.

2 Likes