Tweaking a Recipe

Recently I started testing my first batch of DIY tests. 2 of the 6 are decent at a 3 week steep, but they are not nearly as tasty as I was hoping. I plan to remix one of them tonight or tomorrow and would like to run my changes by the experienced mixers on this forum. I am aiming for a Miami Vice type vape and used a Lava Flow clone recipe as my starting point. My original test batch was as follows…

Coconut Extra (TPA) 1%
Pineapple (TPA) 1%
Strawberry Ripe (TPA) 5%
Strawberry (TPA) 3%
Sweet Cream (TPA) 1%
Sweetener (TPA) 1%

After 3 weeks I get a good, strong coconut vape with a little sweet. I get no pineapple or strawberry. That said, it is very vapable. Smooth and tasty as a coconut vape, but this is not what I was going for.
After a little research, I altered the recipe and hope it will help bring the fruit out in the mix. The tweaks are as follows…

Coconut Extra (TPA) 1%
Lemon Sicily (FA) .5%
Liquid Stevia (Pyure) .4%
Pineapple (TPA) 2%
Sour (TPA) .5%
Strawberry (Ripe) (TPA) 4%
Strawberry (TPA) 4%
Strawberry Shisha (INAWERA) 1%
Sweet Cream (TPA) 1%
Sweetener (Sucralose/Maltol) (TPA) 1%

I am looking for a strawberry pina colada kind of thing. I added the Sour, Lemon Sicily, and Pyure in the hope of getting the strawberry and pineapple to pop out in the mix. The Strawberry Shisha is to reinforce the strawberry.

Is this a decent starting place or is this overkill? I understand too much could turn this into a vape full of nothingness. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Coconut extra is pretty potent for a tpa flavor, I’d probably dial that back just a touch if it’s coming through stronger than the other flavors. Good call on the sb shisha!

3 Likes

Thank you. I was thinking the same, but not sure what would happen to the coconut with the addition of the other flavors. Would the coconut at 1% mute the fruits? As is, the coconut isn’t bad at all. If I can get the fruits to come out it should be a nice mix. Would dropping the coconut to .7% or so help with this in your opinion?

1 Like

I wouldn’t say it would necessarily mute them but it might just be more of a main note than you’re wanting.

Imo, yes. If it was me I’d mix v2 as you posted, and then also v3 with .7-.8% coconut so that they can steep together and be compared side by side.

2 Likes

An alternate opinion.

As @VapeyMama said TPA Coconut is pretty stout, But it does help pop the Strawberry. Only a very small amount is needed though… I’d say about .2%

I also see you added lemon and sour to the v2. It’s kinda redundant because they both offer a similar effect, but together might overrun your mix. If I was to drop one it would be the Lemon, only because it adds another flavor layer and less value of making the fruits pop.

4 Likes

Do you think .2% would be enough to come through as coconut still?

Or… maybe I’m misreading what’s wanted…
@WitchWolf Are you wanting the coconut to pop or just be a background layer? If it’s just as an accent then I 100% agree that way lower like @Pro_Vapes suggested would be much better.

2 Likes

It’ll be there but faintly. To this day I still can’t say exactly how Coconut and Pairs, but too much Coconut really takes over. In very small %s it really does enhance the SB IMO.

But for a more coconut layer maybe .3 or .4% tops.

2 Likes

That is a great idea, thank you.

2 Likes

Thank you. I can definitely that the coconut at 1% might be hiding the fruits…it is stout. That said, I am going for a strawberry pina colada type vape, so the coconut will need to be a little more than a background note. How would .5% work in your opinion?

As for the lemon/sour, I am stabbing in the dark a bit with those. I read a thread about making fruits pop and the use of acids to achieve that. Is sour a better way to introduce a complimentary acid than using another flavor. I was thinking lemon or dragonfruit to help with the strawberry and pineapple coming through. Are there other options?

1 Like

I want the coconut to pop, but with the fruits out front a little. Do you think .5% would be a fair starting point?

1 Like

Do you know if the coconut will fade any after a long steep or does it just get stronger?

My 1st thought is to sub for FA Coconut. But working with what you have I suggest using the TPA Coconut at lower %s because it is strong, (kinda what I call an upsteeper as it seems to get stronger as other flavors settle or fade). My second opinion is I’ve read several times that TPA Coconut is like shoe polish when used at higher %s.

1 Like

Like others are saying, for me personally I can’t use the coconut extra… even a very small amount and it is the only thing I can taste in a mix, I would drop it to a very low percentage (you can always go higher later with it). Also while Pyure is a good sweetener I see your using both it and another sweetener, if it was me I’d look toward using a sweet coconut and possibly a sweet cream (thinking on the order of sweet thick coconut milk like you would use to make an actual pina colada with) and then drop one or both of the other sweeteners.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, TPA is all I have right now. It isn’t bad at 1% at all, but it is strong. Shoe polish would be no bueno. Ack! Thank you.

1 Like

I think I will drop the coconut to .4 or so to start with. When I order some more flavors I will look into another coconut or 2. If I dropped the sweetener and just used the Pyure, would .5 be enough? I was basing the decision to use both from the first batch. The 1% sweetener was there, but barely. I was hoping the Pyure would boost that a little while adding a little pop to the fruits. Does Pyure gunk coils like other sweeteners?

2 Likes

I’ve used Pyure a few times (I tend to stick with Marshmallow, Sweet Cream, and/or condensed milk to sweeten (toasted marshmallow is great but probably not for what your mixing)). Too much Pyure can give the juice sugar lips so I would go slow on upping it’s percentage until you’ve played with it so and see when/if you start hitting that sweet limit. I have not noticed my coils gunk up when I had used it though.

EDIT:
The most I see in most of my recipes that have Sweetener in it… 1% is the max I’ve used

2 Likes

A little something to help you research flavors before your next flavor order…

2 Likes

Thank you, Tut.

1 Like

That looks like a great post. I will definitely read through that, thank you very much.

1 Like

A bit of info from others using Pyure around this post…

4 Likes