Tweaking a Recipe

Yeah i think .5% is a fair starting point. You might even want to go just a tiny but lower.

2 Likes

Thank you guys for the input. How does this look?

Coconut Extra (TPA) 0.4%
Liquid Stevia (Pyure) 0.4%
Pineapple (TPA) 2%
Sour (TPA) 1%
Strawberry (Ripe) (TPA) 4%
Strawberry (TPA) 4%
Strawberry Shisha (INAWERA) 1%
Sweet Cream (TPA) 1%
Sweetener (Sucralose/Maltol) (TPA) 0.5%

4 Likes

Looks good!

2 Likes

IMO from my experiences with sweeteners, you only need 1ā€¦ the Pyure is far superior to the TPA sweetener. At .5% Pyure is all youā€™ll need. You can add the TPA later if you feel a need to, but I donā€™t see where itā€™s needed. Your coils will thank you later. Simpler is sometimes better.

EDIT: I also noticed you increased the Sour by .5%. That also isnā€™t needed. It kinda cancels out some of the sweetness.

4 Likes

Good point. .5% pyure is very sweet (imo). Its a different kind of sweetness than artificial sweeteners, its hard to describeā€¦ But the pyure by itself might very well be plenty.

4 Likes

Thanks for cosigning my comments. Iā€™m known to speak out of turn sometimes, but itā€™s great when we agree on some things.

1 Like

Just on a side note. Some mixers have a problem mixing @ .2% or lower, but for some flavors itā€™s really all thatā€™s needed for a slight influence on a mix (what I call the MF zone). But for some flavors (even some TPAs), thatā€™s all thatā€™s neededā€¦ coconut extra being a prime example (itā€™s not very forgiving).

2 Likes

You are right. I need to remember that mixing is similar in concept to cooking. Sometimes a little of a spice goes a long way. Thank you for the advice and tips. I appreciate any and all the help I can get. There is a lot to mixing well and a fairly decent learning curve, but if I can find 1 or 2 mixes that we like enough to vape, we can stop buying juice and experiment with and learn more about mixing.

1 Like

As you implied earlierā€¦sometimes less is more. I have always applied that to playing music, but it seems as it would apply to mixing at times too.

2 Likes

Continue bearing the comments after your post I quoted (but before my reply here) in mind, as I think they offer sound advice. But having read through all the comments before replying (this time), Iā€™m actually quite surprised that no one has suggested what Iā€™m about to.

Personally, youā€™re attempting what I would consider a ā€œdual lead noteā€ mix. In so much as, if it were me, I would want to taste the strawberry on equal footing with the Pina Colada portion. Thatā€™s a bit tougher to do than just an ordinary single flavor lead, and secondary notes.

I would probably suggest nailing down the Pina Colada aspect first, as the strawberry will be easier to balance into it later. Thatā€™s just me though, and YMMV. :wink:

The other key thing that I wanted to mention was that to my taste buds you have the emphasis on the wrong strawberries. (But I only suggest this from a gut impression that you havenā€™t done any SF testing -or I doubt you would be having some of the issues youā€™re experiencing/asking about. Please Forgive me if Iā€™m wrong about that) Anyways, my suggestion would be to try the following with regards to the strawberry aspect:

Strawberry (Ripe) (TPA) 2%
Strawberry (TPA) 2%
Strawberry Shisha (INAWERA) 3%

Shisha is a much brighter ā€œstar of the showā€ (taste-wise), and I would use 1.5% FA strawberry with it instead of the two TFA. Butā€¦ as above, and since we already know you have those three in stock, I would say keep them there as your accents, and dial the Ina up to let it take itā€™s ā€˜rightful placeā€™ (doing the heavy lifting for the strawberry portion). :wink:

Again, just my thoughts!

3 Likes

You would actually be correct in your assumption that I have not tested all my single flavors. The strawberries would be included in those. I am new to mixing and this recipe was based off of one I found on this site. That said, I do understand the need to test each flavor individually, but I have not taken the time to do all of the flavors I have. I guess I was trying to cheat the learning curve. I was hoping to be able to learn from otherā€™s recipes and flavor notes, at least enough to find a couple of juices that would fill the gap until I could test and experiment more. I just need to stop paying for commercial juice, it is way too expensive.

I actually have a couple of other strawberries as well. I like strawberry. Lol. I have Sweet Strawberry (Cap) and Sweet Strawberry (Jungle Flavors) as well. I am planning to mix a couple of versions of this today, so I will try adjusting the strawberry and see what works best for me. I am open to anything in order to achieve a good result.

Hopefully once we get moved and settled in, I can find the time to test all of my single flavors (I will need a lot more small bottlesā€¦lol). In your opinion, what is the best method to test single flavors (at least a starting point)?

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sprks but Iā€™ll throw in my 2 cents. For sf testing I usually read any notes that there might be to get an idea about the flavor and then land somewhere around the median single flavor recommendation. I make 15ml testers usually, which gives me plenty to test along the way. I try to test the first time within a day, then at 1-2 weeks and again at a month. Iā€™m not always very disciplined when it comes to sf testing but thatā€™s my general routine.

4 Likes

Surprisingly that thread starts off with a Pina Colada mix.

Also here are a few other ideas.

2 Likes

Thank you. 15ml testers doesnā€™t lead to a lot of wasted supplies? Do you mix with the same vg/pg % you use in your juices with no nic or use something else as a base?

2 Likes

Not too much waste. A little bit but unless a flavor is bad I usually end up vaping most of it. I do testers at the same pg/vg/nic as the rest of my mixes.
I also save my sf testers and tank/drip mix them sometimes. That helps eliminate more waste too.

7 Likes

Absolutely, and I totally get that! :thumbsup:
You have to have things to get you by while you learn! Take things in the order you need to (of course). Some never SF test flavors, and thatā€™s perfectly fine too. Itā€™s all about doing what fits your needs, in ways that work for you.

Since you mention this, I would recommend exchanging the TFA strawberry (keep Ripe) for the Cap sweet strawberry, as those two are a very common pairing that many mixers have enjoyed over the years.

You can find my thoughts here:

Hope it helps!

6 Likes

Thank you for the link about testing, some good info there.

If I swap Sweet SB Cap for the TPA will it the same % mix apply? SB Ripe 2%, Sweet SB Cap 2%, and Shisha 3%?

2 Likes

Yes. Most people who use that combo (TFA ripe/Cap sweet) seem to prefer a 1:1 ratio.

So keep the 2% numbers the same in this case. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you very much.

2 Likes

Mixed the first test batch today. Thank you all for the input. Once it has steeped a bit, I will report back on where it is at. @Pro_Vapes @VapeyMama @CallMeTut @Sprkslfly @TheTinMan1 You all rock!

5 Likes