Using "The Juice Calculator" recipe import function

So I messed around for a bit. I like the import but still trying to get pg/vg ratios to zero on import. Uggg.

Basically I have almost always marked my flavors of/vg free because 95% of the time I have mixed with fa flv mf and inw. Tpa/cap is the other portion.

So far when I import from a rec/ejuicemeup up it imports everything except that value.

3 Likes

Try this…
Tools–>Options–>Recipe Defaults

That will allow you to specify default values and use them as a template.

OR

Try Tools–>Options–>Pre-Sets tab in the same section.

1 Like

I have always kept a workbook of my concentrates in excel and have found that I can use the calculators template to import most of the information by copying different columns in my workbook to the template. I would imagine if I reworked my concentrate workbook to match the calculator it would be a breeze!

I did notice this as it kinda dicked up my the sorting as i added lists of concentrates from my workbook! My Workbook has a seperate sheet for each brand or MFG! Big red X took care of that! Will import recipes once my stash is sorted and added the way that I want it!

Was getting irritated with the calc until i found this! :+1:

2 Likes

Sorry. I didn’t realize this would create some frustrations. The goal was just to show an easy way of importing recipes. Shoulda thought this through a bit more before posting the tutorial.

4 Likes

I’ve used the Juice Calculator for years, the only thing I really disliked about it is when importing a recipe if you don’t have the ingredient in your inventory it adds the ingredient to your inventory. While on the face of it, it sounds good but if the recipe your importing has the spelling off for a specific ingredient, you have to go back though the (now) new recipe and change the ingredients to those that you do have in your inventory and go into your inventory and delete the item that the import placed for that ingredient.
As a side note, what I often do is while the imported (copied) txt is in the window, prior to hitting the import button, I will edit the text from the copied text to what I know I have written in my inventory so I won’t need to delete a ingredient later… i.e if the importing recipe calls for Bavarian Cream (FW) and all I have is Bavarian Cream (TPA), while the import window is open I’ll change the “FW” to “TPA”… just something to be aware of.

6 Likes

244 flavors to add manually and not just the names, but manufacturer, folder, weight, notes, price, amount left …

Yes totally love it but if I get into that, I won’t be mixing for the next 3 months till this is all added and categorized in the way I would like it.

Import function of the stash would be nice lol.

6 Likes

thanks for the tip and thank you @TorturedZen for the tutorial, otherwise this method wouldn’t even be an option lol. After reading that this calculator does have this feature, and I was too lazy of adding my flavors manually, I went on ELR created 7 private recipes with 40 flavors each and then imported it into the program.

I tried 60 and even 80 but it just makes the calculator take a long time, so I stick with 40 at the end.

It’s still manual “labor” of course, since you have to create the recipe, but it’s much faster than typing the flavors by itself into JC.

Now I only have to go and change some of the flavor details that weren’t imported due to this method, but definitely saves a bit of time :wink:

9 Likes

Looks like a lot of work ahead of me.

5 Likes

No Apologies necessary! It’s kind of to be expected when changing from one program to another! Especially for us computer illiterate individuals!
The method I mentioned above took me a few tries but I used it and managed to get all 500 flavors into the calc in just an hour or so! Complete with dates, costs and all pertinent Info!
Key for it to work was converting ELR’s .CSV file to the calc’s template!

Nice! This would save a bunch of time!

5 Likes

I think you’ll find it very worth the effort!

5 Likes

I have over 500 now @estorm (yes, I have a problem), and I found myself in the same boat as you. “I gotta spend HOW long, doing what, for how many flavors ??!!”.

Frankly, I did NOT want to do it. Started playing around with it, made it past the n00b learning curve (yes, there is one with this program), and alerts is worth all the time it will take, for me.

5 Likes

6 Likes

I am rethinking using this calc! I thought I had everything just right and imported a few recipes and was blasted by the red warnings in the bottom box and for some reason I can not tolerate that! It’s like the little red notifications on an Iphone, Drives me insane! So i am back to the drawing board! :sweat:

2 Likes

@atssec97 Don’t sweat it, I have added over 200 ingredients and 60 recipes and still have some red.

3 Likes

@atssec97 Just let the RED take you away !!!

3 Likes

If you go on ELR and click “create recipe” then put your vg/pg at 40/60 and then start adding flavors.

Add 40 flavors from your stash, or whatever quantity want, set at 1% then save the recipe, but keep private lol. Press the blue wrench, copy as simple text…

Now like TorturedZen explained, open juice calculator, go to tools, import recipe from text. New window opens.

Paste as described above your recipe in that window. Don’t click import yet!

On the top of this little window it says,
“Add missing ingredients to ingredient list” or something down the line (sry not at home to look at it :()
Make sure this is marked/enabled. Now press import once. (Important because this button won’t grey out, if you press it multiple times, it adds it multiple times)

This will import the flavor names, manufacturers as listed in your elr stash (if you spelled them correctly lol)

All you have to do after is press exit and go in the ingredient manager, and modify the labels or add weight/price all that stuff. same for manufacturer and vendors.

After you done all that and moved the flavors in folders you want and what not, you can then go an delete these recipes or leave them there, don’t matter lol. Up to you how fancy you go with it.

Again it’s not a faster method, it’s just a small short cut that saves a bit time here and there, especially if somebody just installed the calculator.

If someone does have most of this setup already, probably not worth the hassle. But still could try, make sure to back up your stuff prior tho. That guarantees as usual a easy roll back if necessary.

Hope I explained it well enough lol

4 Likes

LOL, I was kidding @eStorm, but I like how you think. “Dump Em” !!!

4 Likes

Damit I’m never sure with you, made me write that whole thing for no reason LOL.

Oh well maybe it helps someone else…

7 Likes

Hehe, I know what you mean, my wife says the same thing. I do however, think it is/was/is a neat way to inject a lot of your stash without a ton of effort. I wish I had thought of that !!!

5 Likes

It keeps saying I have no nicotine, but I have a freezer full, can I import ingredients from my freezer?
Also Do I have to input the weights of each flavor?

6 Likes