Video Edit

Hey, there my vape fam. I have recently started learning Davinci Resolve and am having a hell of a time figuring out the frame rate (FPS).

I used to use windows movie maker and it did not prepare me, at all for a better editing program.

IF Anybody out there uses Davinci Resolve or knows how this FPS works I could use a hand.

Thank you

5 Likes

I have no clue but I just wanted to comment and applaud your efforts making these videos and reviews. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

FPS in this case refers to Frames Per Second.
(Not first person shooter :crazy_face: )

What you want to end up with, all depends on what you are expecting the video to be viewed on.

Eg:
TV, pc monitor, etc.

24 and 30 are probably the most common.
But I would suggest finding out what YT wants/needs (assuming that’s what you’re targeting). Please let us know if you’re interested in some other application.

Others can help far better than I can on this, but I wanted to mention some basic aspects.

5 Likes

Pretty sure @SmilingOgre is a real whiz-ogre at this suff.

6 Likes

oops.

Anywho, the issue I am having is my sound and video are not syncing properly and halfway through the video It looks like I am the star in one of those old Chinese karate videos.

5 Likes

Ok, Just watched a quick tutorial on the prog and it looks pretty standard. First question, did you record the audio with the video camera you used or did you use a seperate audio recorder?

6 Likes

like out of topic but yea… try using Adobe Premiere and after effect… its many developt there…

5 Likes
5 Likes

I was going to suggest that @Dan_the_Man

5 Likes

Premiere Pro is a very good editor however it is quite expensive both in terms of subscription and demand on computer components. It demands a lot of ram, cpu, and gpu.

6 Likes

Elements perhaps ??

https://www.adobe.com/products/premiere-elements.html

5 Likes

Elements would be a better place to start for sure. For myself, I have made it through the learning curve of Pro and there are some functions that I would have difficulty not having. Not sure what all is included in elements. Not sure what all Dan would need.

5 Likes

Completely agreed, but like you stated Pro carries a heavier learning curve, and a much higher price. My wife is using Sony Vegas, but they sold the product line to a Russian (no kidding) company, and they’re having problems getting it to work on W10, so say goodbye to the once workhorse of Sony Vegas.

4 Likes

I used Sony Vegas for years until they sold it off. Damn nice program but it made the switch difficult. Where Vegas often manipulated the track, with Premiere it’s all done at the clip level. I tried Premiere many times and put it back because I just couldn’t figure out how to “speak adobe”. After the sale I knew I had to make the switch and bulled through it. It’s taken some time but once I started to become fluent in adobe it became more intuitive. There are still some things I have to google. I know there are there just can’t get to them, lol.

5 Likes

That’s what happened to me with Photoshop (pre-subscription).

4 Likes

They bury a ton of shit under “right clicks” key commands and such. The menus reveal maybe 1/4 of what can be done. Adobe is definitely it’s own language.

5 Likes

I used the audio on the camera

@SessionDrummer and @ianvape I did a lot lot lot of research and like @SmilingOgre mentioned Adobe is expensive and resolve is not only free but you get an awful lot with that free. It’s amazing really. Anywho, thanks for the advice everybody and thanks for the video’s @SessionDrummer The bottom video I have watched already but the top one I will look into.

I might have solved the issue (I hope). I am using a Logitech C922 I think it’s called. Anyway, I went ahead and downloaded an app for it and it has a tab where you can change the FPS. I will try it at 24 and then when I get to resolve, I will set it at 24, and in my mind, that should work. right???

3 Likes

Hope that works but in the mean time, have you tried rendering your video with resolve? With a rendered file is there still a problem with the sync?

Do you know how your camera records? There are two specifications involved 1 is FPS for the video and 2 is sample rate and bit rate of the audio. A lot of cameras use 23.9 fps for video and 48khz @ 16 bit audio. In the change FPS video that @SessionDrummer sent you there should be another segment if you pull down the slider to address the audio specifications.

Rather than downloading a ton of free shit software that will end up gumming up your registry and bring your computer to a snail crawl, it would be better to do a few tests first.

4 Likes

like what?

I don’t know, I have not gone that far. I will try that in a few minutes.

3 Likes

Like the prog you downloaded with a tab to change the fps. I looked up your camera and it uses standard fps settings. Resolve should not be having a problem with that. The audio sample rate however is still in question.

4 Likes