Vinegar, Saline, Lemon Juice (Old topic revisited)

I have to admit that while I’ve heard people talking about saline, I somehow missed the discussion back in 2016 about lemon juice and vinegar here. The only reason I’m bringing it up here today is because Fresh was talking about it on a show last night. So what are your thoughts on these additives? I’d love to have more opinions.

He was talking about white vinegar being what was missing in a red velvet cake mix.

5 Likes

These ideas work , i believe it was @Amy2 who lead me down that path…I used the lemon juice quite a bit with fruit recipes , I do believe these additives are uses by commercial companies and that is why cloning is so tough beside the proprietary flavors they use as well…Give it a go Michelle …I stopped using the additives bc imo they arent typically needed if your using the right flavors together …Maybe these also help keep the liquids clear as well while they sit in a store…Ive always been amazed how ckear commercial liquids stay on a shelf that is lit up all day lol

I belive ozo uses the apple cider vinegar in his Stevia blend

5 Likes

Hey @fidalgo_vapes… there are 3 types of vinegar all used with different effects…
lemon juice, not with sugar or anything else… either fresh squeezed or the plastic lemon found in the produce area.

then there is white (light) agave… with a 10% dilution… but you do have to be careful with this one…

I talked with Dr K years ago on agave… he said at the rate I was using it, if I got any sweetness from it, its more of a placebo, rather than anything else… (1-3 drops per 30ml) but I have not used it in over 6 yrs as flv sweetness at 3-6 drops in 30ml is more than enough.

eh… main word is be careful what you add into your juice… and to remember, your lungs do not work like your stomach can. There are things you can add, and be alright… When in doubt… ASK. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

People have used these types of additives but I am in the school of thought that I don’t want to add more than what is already present in my flavorings.

So I go with the line of bending flavors. Adding a random fruit to enhance another…like pear, lemon, lime, jackfruit, or others.

3 Likes

There was talk, back in the day, of using ACV (a few drops) to change the ph of a tobacco liquid, to make it more palatable. :smirk: I tried it, but came up with the notion that it was basically a “snake oil” fix for, less than usable, synthetic tobacco concentrates or store bought concoctions. :joy:

Saline just made my liquids “snap, crackle, and pop”. :confounded:

Less is more, in some cases. :wink:

4 Likes

Ya the only good result i had back then was the lemon juice trick and that bc the flavors i had were mediocre…but it did help ( i think ) lol

4 Likes

Lemon juice - I would use citric acid as it has no sugars in it.

Ya it will do that is you a s little too much if you stay super low under .4 (more usually around .25 ) it will give everything a little nudge.

Vinegar - have used but only in a stevia mix as a preservative, it will stop the stevia mix turning brown. I used apple cider vinegar down low.

4 Likes

Agreed @woftam, I’ve had great success where you almost want a tick of salt, but in other places like creams/custards. Not sure why, maybe the salt opens up your flavor receptors a bit more, still unsure.why exactly that works.

Yes, yes yes. The Master @ozo got me on board with that.

3 Likes

The lemon juice that was used has ni sugars…similar to the little plastic lemons full of pure lemon juive

3 Likes

Lemon juice has sugars between 1 - 2% Fructose - I don’t know what is in the little plastic lemon shaped ones but if it is lemon juice as in from a lemon and is unprocessed it will have sugar - if it is processed lemon juice and has the sugar removed then that is a different thing.

4 Likes

Those are definitely processed juices. About as far from feshly-squozen as you can get. A drop on the finger will let you know the difference. Edit: No idea if they have any added or unremoved sugars, though!

5 Likes

@Plunderdrum

5 Likes

May be pasteurized also, with added sulfites! Far from squozen, if true. Not sure about this source, though…
“Two very popular brands, namely Jif and ReaLemon produce their juices this way. Besides the concentrate and water, there are also some preservatives (usually sulfites) added and the whole thing is pasteurized to kill any bacteria that might have been there.”

4 Likes

So is there added sugar in this

5 Likes

I don’t believe there is, it’s a question of whether the processing removed the natural sugars found in fresh lemon juice. I have a sense that the process of concentrating and heating to pasteurize wipes out the natural sugar.

5 Likes

Something i forget to think about oops

4 Likes

This is very similar to my post on unconventional ingredients… I’ll bookmark it to keep up.

Also, I’ve used DWV in a commercial liquid that seemed pretty lacking in flavor. It did seem to punch up the flavor without adding a vinegary flavor.

It was Vapetasia’s Blackberry Lemonade. It made the lemonade noticable and the blackberry was more of an idea rather than an actual flavor, IMO… :confused:

6 Likes