What are you watching? 2022/23

This Horror Film is so bad it’s Good!
Imagine Napoleon Dynamite as a Horror film.
Not sure where they found the cast?
But it’s the weirdest/wildest group of performers I have ever seen.

5 Likes

Looks like a clear thumbs up from you though, as it has been mentioned by many to me, is its brilliance coming from tripping over and accidentally making a great movie?

I know the line here is a really fine one but, I’d class The Room, Birdemic, and Basket Case as stand out examples of the further. Whereas, After Last Season, Birdemic 3: Sea Eagle and Basket Case 3 are just shit.

2 Likes

I added that to my lazy weekend queue. Oddly, it is a week for the dangers of AI.

3 Likes

It’s going to be a lot MORE than a week …

5 Likes

Ah yes, this one appeared in my feed a while ago. Things are now going so fast that anyone with half a brain is calling for a moratorium on AI use until two questions are answered: 1) which laws of computing do we need and 2), what is human consciousness. That is such a metaphysical challenge that many view a decade as a viable timeframe to codify it.

4 Likes

I’m here for an A.I. Bonzo and what it could do with a 10 minute Moby Dick solo.

PS: Not sure when NoLifeShaq became MoreLifeShaq

3 Likes

https://tv.apple.com/us/show/silo/umc.cmc.3yksgc857px0k0rqe5zd4jice?ctx_brand=tvs.sbd.4000

5 Likes

After seeing the mightiest RPG pre-quest kitting up you could ever see, I decided to find a fitting movie.

Dungeons & Dragons: Honour Amongst Thieves was the obvious choice:

Honestly, it was alright but was a tonal mess. One which made me think, and I just noticed that The Drinker did too, is this Lord of the Rings by Taika Waititi? What really got to me was the constant need to try and make everyone in each scene funny: It really had no straight man to move it from goofball into glorious. The graveyard scene would have been world-class, if they could just let it breathe and let all the layers of comedy and tragedy sink in.

For those who are RPG and D&D fans, there are countless references and none of them felt too forced. With Beholders being mentioned without needing to explain them, or Mimics just being there. Also, locations and items are not used as nudge-nudge moments, with most of the spells not being named but clear what they are.

So in summary, this is an ok movie which is accessible and understandable to all.

But, if you have become very tired of everything trying to ape the Marvel formula, give it a miss.

6 Likes

What are your thoughts on this one?

From the trailer, I have a number of 60/70s novels springing to mind, as well as countless low budget 70/80s post apocalyptic movies.

So, how would you frame or contextualise it, without spoiling it?

3 Likes

Oh, an access to media update.

As Amazon keeps trying to give me Prime for free, I thought to see if there was anything good. And, there is a week long free subscription to BritBox. This is great as the whole of the original House of Cards is there. So an easier way to see the original and vastly superior adaptation.

4 Likes

After hearing about the passing of Terrence Hardiman, why do the good die so young?, I decided to start tracking down all of the original The Demon Headmaster episodes (I only now just found out that there was also a soft reboot) and other oddball kid shows for my Little Monster.

Five Children and It, The Queen’s Nose, Trapdoor, Knightmare, Doctor Zitbag’s Transylvania Petshop, Count Duckula etc are now on my hitlist.

5 Likes

I like Peter Weller.
If you can find it, watch ‘Rainbow Drive’
It’s pretty old but it’s a good one

6 Likes

The only good ‘musical’ is ‘Heavy Metal’

7 Likes

On my watch list tonight

I know that M. Night Shyamalan is a hit or miss but i did like the last one he did

so i figured id give this a shot

5 Likes

I’ll make a note to track it down.

The one of his that really sticks in my mind is Leviathan: part of a series of ocean based peril movies of the time. The much later Virus is also definitely worth a look.

4 Likes

Personally, I’d suggest watching Knock at the Cabin over Old.

Old quickly becomes ‘wrong’ in so many ways, if you accidentally allow a few neurons to fire for an instant. Knock at the Cabin is a little predictable but is still an enjoyable yarn.

5 Likes

And a glorious work worth of a rewatch. I haven’t seen this in an age and now I’m tempted to add it and Tank Girl to next month’s watchlist.

4 Likes

Yes old was predictable but i think overall it isnt out of the realm for governments allowing big pharma from doing something like this if it was possible. Look how they pushed the covid vaccinations. But in the reality they dont want cures as it wouldnt generate the amount of income as just doing what you can without curing type of mentality

2 Likes

Hopefully, one day, a treatment will be found which removes to need to force links into talking about Covid.

3 Likes

Yellowjackets on Showtime is pretty decent and has a few crazies thrown in. Rose from 2 1/2 Men, Christina Ricci and Juliette Lewis.

5 Likes