What batteries to pick?

Think I saw wrappers on Illumn.com under accessories

Has anyone used these yet?
HOHM LIFE INR 18650 20.7A(CC) 36.3A(P&P) 3077MAH BATTERIES

Itā€™s a 20A battery. They seem OK - Somewhat equal to the LG HG2, only running a bit hotterā€¦

Iā€™ve tried just about every brand out there but recently have settled on the 30A Imren 3500mah batteries and definitely recommend the nitecore chargers. I bought my last batch of batteries on amazon for a 10 pack for 70 bucks.

Is it green? If so, beware; itā€™s a 10A battery, not a 30A one

2 Likes

damn, i hadnt seen that beforeā€¦thanks.

No problem - Itā€™s annoying that we canā€™t trust whatā€™s on the labels :frowning: I always check Moochā€™s list - and for now, I only stick with Samsung and LGā€¦

2 Likes

That is so true my son worked for a large battery import company they bough a experience machine just for testing batteries by the container load first they would weigh the smaller boxes as they unpacked and would find battery spacers they call them empy cases then they would random test some at first he could not understand why they would purposely mislabel boxes of batteries known that they would be tested as they used the batteries to build packs they were texted again so the fished products were certified and could be used in medical equipment and LG dose the same from what I understand they test each battery and from the stores I have heard you got to they will throw the wrong label on a battery in a heartbeat some times right over the real label . O so sorry Chinese you just can not be too careful

This weekend Vape101 or 101Vape (?which is it?) LOL is having a sale on batteries.

Just picked up some 40 amp, 3000 MAH AWT batteries. Anyone familiar with those able to tell me if they are safe for use in a series mech mod? Got a 0.61 ohm dual build in the Velocity ready to rock n roll. Am I safe?

I suppose I didnā€™t blow myself up - being that I couldnā€™t resist not trying my new Noisy Cricket. Soā€¦that 0.61 ohm build actually was a lot less impressive than I was expecting out of the 2 - 18650ā€™s in series. I pulled the coils and removed 2 wraps from each, leaving me at 0.52 ohms. Now weā€™re getting somewhere. Vapor is dense and flavorful. Iā€™m sure this is where many vapers start, and in typical ā€œTool Manā€ fashion, continue making lower and lower ohm builds chasing those crazy clouds. While I do love a thick cloud, itā€™s not my thing so hereā€™s where Iā€™ll stop. Iā€™ve been told to keep it at 0.5 or above with series batts to be safe, and so far it seems very stable. Batteries arenā€™t getting hot and Iā€™m only taking like 1-2 second pulls on it. If anyone has any advice for me Iā€™m all ears. I like the vape Iā€™m getting on this setup but if itā€™s a time bomb I would love for someone who knows to chime in.

Curious to know myself.

Mooch on ECF loves :kissing_heart: testing some batteries:

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/list-of-battery-tests.7436/

Your battery has been tested by him; itā€™s listed in his blog.

2 Likes

looks like we have a winner in the ā€œhardest hitting batteryā€ competition
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/aspire-40a-1800mah-18650-retest-results-only-25a-but-hardest-hitting-battery-ive-tested.733715/
(be sure to read comments after)

Still might stick with the LG ā€¦Iā€™m looking for battery life LG HB4 are next purchase
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/lg-hb-series-batteries-which-is-the-best-performer-round-two.736243/

I donā€™t know anything about that specific battery, and my approach to mechs was always keep it over 0.8 ohm and Iā€™d have no reason to worryā€¦ but Iā€™m curious to know too.

A serial box is gonna max out at like 8.6V (4.3V * 2) when the batteries are fully charged, right? (I rounded up to 4.3 cuz some batteries are gonna be more than 4.2V fully topped off for whatever reason, yours might not have an issue like that)

So plug 8.6V into an ohm calc with 0.52 ohm (it doesnā€™t matter that your coil is dual build, only your total circuit resistance matters).

You get 142W and 16.5A. Which seems pretty well below the 40A rating on your batteries.
ā€¦ OK, now I just read in that link @Kinnikinnick posted that that battery is only actually a 20A battery (then why does it say 40A?!), so if Iā€™m using the calc right, anything under ~ 0.5 ohm on 2 of those batteries fully charged in series would be sketchy.

In conclusion, I love my regulated mods. :sweat:

edit: just read this in a tab I had left open, and it seems like pretty solid advice to pass along:

Stacking batteries in series like that is dangerous with out very careful care in how you are doing it. The batteries used need to be paired for life. I.E. Brand new when you start, and always charged together, and swapped in their placement in your mod after each charging. 1 battery should be labled A for examble, and the other B. And the first time you use them, A top and B bottom. Then next charging B top and A bottom. That way they both are worn the same. In series what can happen, is one cell will deplete itā€™s life cycle before the other, and one will begin discharging into the otherā€¦ you could have one cell reach critical charge and not be aware of it. As far as what being in series does to the discharge rate, Iā€™m not real clear, Iā€™m still learning about Stacking and have been very cautious about it so far.

2 Likes

Zigs my friend, thank you for that well thought out response!

I too love my regulated mods. In fact Iā€™ve done far less mechanical than regulatedā€¦just for argumentā€™s sake say 98% of my experience is with regulated. However, back when we all first started really discussing the possible ā€œvaporgeddonā€ wrought by the FDA, I stated then that I would have a survival plan that includes mech mods and RDAā€™s, which I also have used RDAā€™s less than tanks. So my getting 2 noisy crickets was simply part of my plan, but having them and not being educated is pointless.

@Kinnikinnick I read Moochā€™s test results on my batteries, and the results were anything but exemplary. But I also see that all the batteries except for 1 which were rated 30a or higher were found to have a continuous discharge of far less. So the fact they didnā€™t rate at the 40a as advertised doesnā€™t bother me, especially since Iā€™m not putting that big a strain on them.

Since reducing the resistance to 0.52 ohm I made a point to use this mod all day. I found a much better vape at this lower resistance and in fact, have enjoyed the Velocity today more than ever. Once I get through 3-4 more charge cycles with these batteries I should have a better feel for them and whether or not theyā€™re stable. So far so good. And if not Iā€™ll try a different set/brand.

1 Like

Iā€™ve always used (to my knowledge) regulated devices. I am not mechanically inclined nor do I know electronics. So my question is out of pure ignoranceā€¦ why are you putting mechanical devices in lew or regulated devices into your FDA survival box? Are they simpler devices to work on if something breaks on one?

Youā€™re welcome, I just hope I havenā€™t said anything really dumb and wrong!

A mech is certainly easier to fix than a regulated mod when it breaks (I suppose - unless youā€™re an electrical engineer who thinks tinkering with circuit boards is a good time). After my old K101 quit working I spent a while trying to figure out what was wrong (it kept shorting, frying my vapesafe fuses), but eventually just set it in my junk pile with the old evods, protanks, and egos. Iā€™m thinking in a pinch they could get some use again. Might even find someone whoā€™d be willing to fix the mech, but that apparently ainā€™t me.

In hindsight, it might just be fine and the batteries just needed a rewrapā€¦ so battery wraps might be something to add to your vapergeddon kit!

1 Like

With a regulated mod, the board is to me practically unserviceable. More so with the ones that are sealed, but even if they arenā€™t sealed, I own no testing equipment nor have the ability to work on such small electronics either with my eyes or hands .So if (big if, I know) FDA were to manage to basically ban the sales of the regulated equipment Iā€™ve grown to love - TC, DNA and such - and the ones I have go down, then I would still have the mechanicals which are completely serviceable with my skill level and easily obtainable parts. I got 2 of the Noisy Cricket mods and have already seen that the vape I can get off these simple little devices is very satisfying. So even though Iā€™ll put them away for a rainy day, it just gives me confidence Iā€™ll be able to continue vaping despite the jackwagons in Washington.

3 Likes