What books do you like to read?

Recently finished re-reading Joseph Wambaugh’s The Choirboys. Havent read that in decades. Still a great book(so much better than the movie)! Not a PC book by any means and although a novel, it gives a little insight into what policing was like in the 70’s.

5 Likes

I’m currently reading the young adult “Matched” series by Ally Condie. After that I’ll be re-reading the “Acorna” series by Anne McCaffery.

4 Likes

I can’t get through that either. Maybe I’m not in a reading mood or maybe they just suck :woman_shrugging:

Downloading now!

3 Likes

Nelson DeMille’s John Corey series is pretty good if anyone is in the mood for crime novels. I love the main character and the books are easy reads and engaging.

3 Likes

" The Establishment: And how they get away with it" is a good examination of the establishment in the UK and to some extent the rest of the world.

3 Likes

Stephen Kings series “The Dark Tower” is pretty good. They made a movie of “The Gunslinger” which is the first book of the series, but I did not think much of that compared to the books.

5 Likes

I’ve read that several times. Weird thing was that the number 19 kept popping up everywhere when I was reading it.

One night when taking the dog out I found a painting of something that looked like a tower and also depicted a sphere and a rose.
I thought that was pretty eerie.

Now the sucker is apologising for all of us living in a Stephen King novel :flushed:

6 Likes

I read elsewhere that you like historical fiction, if you have no problem with gore, you should check this one out by Gary Jennings.
If you haven’t already :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Oh wow, that was one of my favorites! It’s been decades since I read that one. I think I read that in the mid 80’s and I should revisit Aztec again. Thanks for the reminder!

4 Likes

New one out from Stephen… Billy Summers

I hear he’s also currently working on a “Virus” novel………

7 Likes

For years I read tons of sci-fi and fantasy, along with horror. Read tons of early Stephen King and still think “The Stand” is an incredible novel. Also read tons of spy novels. Then something changed and I started reading mysteries, detective novels and psychological thrillers. Some of my favorite authors are Jonathan Kellerman and his wife, Faye Kellerman, Michael Connelly, Stephen White (a local Colorado author), Alex Kava, Robert Crais (a super nice guy) and Robert Parker. Reading is one of my ways to relax, and I read about 3 books every 2 weeks.

7 Likes

Love me some Stephen King myself. Have you ever read Nelson DeMille? I’ve read almost all of the John Corey novels and really enjoy them.

2 Likes

The made-for-tv movie was such a letdown! I expected better, tbh. However, being that the novel IS 1,000+ pages, I accept there are limitations to what they can do with it…

4 Likes

I thought the story on the new one went well, but I couldn’t care for the characters like I did the original mini-series. Maybe it was just because it was the first and the anticipation was so much.

4 Likes

There’s a new one ??!!

2 Likes

One of my favorite books “Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee” Caution; this tale is HEART BREAKING and I could only read a little a time. It took me 3 months to read it. Anyway, Looks like they made a film about it, I’ll have to go watch it.

For something not so heavy I like to read novels and Robert Jordan is an outstanding author and his understanding of the relation ships between a man and his wife is light hearted and meaningful. An excellent series of which I have read many, many times.

5 Likes

I’m revisiting a modern classic on evolutionary biology:

4 Likes

I’m just a lay person but I’ll lay down my two cents… because it feels good?

4 Likes

That’s one reason why, though two cents won’t get you much.

4 Likes

You’re right Dan, that’s a tough book to get through. Absolutely heartbreaking.

3 Likes