What books do you like to read?

Original 1994, remake 2020.

4 Likes

:hushed::hushed::flushed::flushed: I had no idea!! Then again I don’t really watch TV… like at all. Just streaming services lol

4 Likes

Oh that’s interesting. I read everything from subject readers to mystery novels. Probably read through every Christy novel written. Today I was clearing off a book shelf and came across an old one which I think I’ll read again, Anatomy of an Illness by Norman Cousins. How one man proved your mind can cure your body.

As I remember, it was pretty awe inspiring considering it was a rare disease with little to no treatment available. I’ll give you a hint…laughter was one of his weapons.

5 Likes

Forgot to add Matthew Pearl as an author of historical fact/fiction mystery thrillers. One of my favs is The Technologists, a story about the first graduation class of MIT. His first book was the Dante Club. He likes the settings of mid 18oo’s Boston/Cambridge. Couldn’t put the books down, also some very gruesome details abound! Especially in The Dante Club.

4 Likes

I’ve read some early Nelson DeMille and go back occasionally. Thanks for the reminder. Regarding Stephen King, I got to meet and chat with him in the 80’s. My brother knew a handful of “celebrities” in Phoenix, and Stephen was one of them. He really loved my brother’s dog and asked for a puppy out of Hana’s next litter, which he got. I remember being shocked that my brother knew him and had just finished “The Stand” before meeting him. A very cool memory.
@Wombatred26 I agree. It is tough to get a HUGE novel into TV or movie format. One that hits the mark for me is the Bosch series on Amazon. They really do service to the novels. The characters are mostly accurately represented and writing and acting are spot on. I watched all of the seasons (and have read all the Michael Connelly books) and felt they did a fantastic job.

8 Likes

I’ve recently been reading the Jack Reacher series. Only thing that bothers me is that this former Army MP turned drifter is just wandering around, solving crimes, having sex with a new woman in every new location he blows in to… and that’s just OK? If it were reversed in gender roles, that would be SO unacceptable by many male readers… at least that’s how it’s been in my experience…

I don’t care what anyone does in their bedroom or with whom. Within reason, of course… if you’re married or in a committed relationship, don’t cheat. Other than that do what you want, with who you want, as many times as you want, as long as it’s consentual for both (or how ever many are involved :smirk:) parties.

It just bothers me… I envision this scruffy, oversize guy going from town to town, knocking boots with a new chick in every location he stops… and no one says boo? Let a woman do that…? Shit, everyone in that town and the next would know she’s a wanton leg spreader from coast to coast! ESPECIALLY if she had sex with ANYONE in the military…

I know… I was in the Navy, MARRIED and faithful, but still rumors were spread that I had slept with half the men on the base and was approached by people I didn’t even know wanting to know “when are you going to get to MY half”?

Anyway… beyond that little irksome bother, it’s a pretty good series. Suspenseful with plenty of twists and turns, unexpected villains, and surprisingly well written dialog…for a character who is supposed to be a former crayon eater…:smirk:

4 Likes

@Wombatred26 I also have enjoyed the “Reacher” series, and understand your concern about “gets a lady in every town”. Have you tried the “Prey” series by John Sanford (one main character is Lucas Davenport)?

There are so many authors I enjoy because reading really is a huge part of my relaxation, though the fiction I read is not really relaxing…if that makes sense.

6 Likes

I have not, though I’ll take a look.

I totally get you about some books not being laid back but being relaxed by having a book in hand…:joy:

3 Likes

The Crucible by Arthur Miller is also good book. Found the good summary of this book here and the difference beetwen film, and book, and play- https://freebooksummary.com/the-crucible-movie-vs-play-2-85719 of course it’s better book for me…
The play is a fictionalized version of the trials and tells the story of a group of young Salem women who falsely accuse other villagers of witchcraft . The accusations and ensuing trials push the village into a hysteria that results in the arrest of two hundred villagers and the deaths of nineteen.

5 Likes

Welcome to ELR @Sanders222.

3 Likes

Haven’t read it yet, BUT, it’s OFF the shelf, and ON the table …

3 Likes

It’s a Toss up between Hemingway and Bukowski…

4 Likes

Thanks a lot :slight_smile: I’ts nice website)

2 Likes

What did you opt for?

2 Likes

I figured Bukowski, I rather enjoyed his poems… Coda was often thought of when I was younger

2 Likes

There’s actually stains on the book pages, which kinda proves I either read them or did drugs or got drunk to them in my possession

2 Likes

Currently I’m knee-deep in Quarles and others while working on an Emblemata thingy.

For those not familiar with the book fad which inspired The Ninth Gate, here’s an intro:

https://emblems.hum.uu.nl/emblems/educational/edu001.php

3 Likes

Are there any you’d recommend as a starter? I tend to veer towards Dante, Milton and Tang dynasty China for most of the poetry I read.

2 Likes

Honestly, my memory isn’t that great but I always like books with Poems in them, easily digestible as sometimes I can’t just sit and focus on a book, but I can read a few stanzas and enjoy it that way…

2 Likes

I understand entirely, though I do have to example how some relate for work. But, when resting, I just want a few simple lines.

2 Likes