What could this be?

Photo SIREN 2
I’ve always been getting this scary black with just under 3 tanks in any of the atomizers: Siren 2, Kayfun LITE, Kayfun Prime … they all have the same black look.
Even taking turns the Vapor Polar Mod, Vaptio N1 pro. Changing the wire: Using khantal k1, NI80 or alien of several ohms (different temperatures). The Liquids are varied, in common only being VG80 / PG20.
I wonder if this could harm health.
Very little time in the vape I may be doing something basic wrong.
Help me, any idea what it might be?

2 Likes

What juice do you vape it with? Such gunk usually (but not always) came from the juice, in my experience.

Oh, and how long did you left the coil and wick before you change it?

1 Like

I find that mine look that way after 2 or three tanks if they are extremely sweet (sweeteners do that), nut blends or anything with yellow cake.

3 Likes

I only use juices I produce (diy).
Daily use different types / flavors and black occurs and evenly, regardless of the use of different juices.

In common:

1. the fact that the base is 80% VG and 20% PG.
  2. The use of supersweet - CAP 0.3 to 1% … and / or stevia 0.3% to 0.5%.

around 48 hours. Or about 15ml to 20ml

Hoje :

KAYFUN LITE

1 Like

The super sweet + any flavors that already contain a sweetener are the likely culprits. Also lack of af and higher temps will speed up the caramelization.

8 Likes

Have to agree with all posts before this one blaming sweetener I would also add that it could also be flavours containing sugars (Many flavor west flavours fit the bill)

6 Likes

Looks like someone’s clogged bathtub drain! :flushed:

2 Likes

What they have already said. To me it looks like you have way too much wick for the Siren! I’ve always had dry hits with any wick sticking past the wick channel cutout’s. You sure you’re not burning the cotton? What’s the center of the wick look like when you pull the cotton to the side or out? Gently pull each side of the wick. If it tears in half at the center and the inside core of the wick is black throughout, it’s getting burnt. With Kanthal wore I would change my wicks about every 3 days, first dry burning the gunk off before the rewick. I much prefer SS 316L and temperature control.

1 Like

You might try lowering the coil some too. Maybe you’re having to overcompensate Watts to make up for innefficient air flow against the coil.

2 Likes

Unlikely, that wouldn’t leave so much gunk on top of the coil. Looks like sweetener or some flavor to me. I use super sweet up to 1% and get the same thing.

Using sweeteners? Rewick often to keep your juice tasting clean.

3 Likes

Thank you all answers.

@Letitia You are right: the sweetener is the cause …
Coincidentally began to happen ha just over a month when replacing vanilla swirl and sweetner - TFA by supersweet - cap.
By using much smaller amounts of supersweet compared to others, I did not presume, I could easily believe, that a few drops could cause something so destructive and catastrophic in heated titanium wires … I imagine in health.

Too bad he had been enjoying supersweet.

4 Likes

What flavors are you regularly using? Try 1 drop super sweet per 15ml and a sweet tasting flavor like strawberry for example at just 0.5%. With a steep should taste sweeter but not be as hard on coils. Also building for less heat helps.

2 Likes

@brasilVAP I started omitting sweeteners some time back, testing new mixes without them. I found so often that I didn’t need to add additional sweetness to many mixes. Those that do need it I will often try up to 2% TPA Marshmallow. More often than not that does the trick. Marshmallow will still gunk up coils, but not as badly as most sweeteners. As a general rule, I start out at 1%, then if it needs more, 1.5% - 2%. Perhaps give this a try. I think it was @Ken_O_Where who I got this suggestion from and it’s been a coil saver for me over the years.

6 Likes

I’ve been using Sugar Daddy sweetener for over 6 months at usually 1%. It tastes better than every other I’ve tried and it never blackens my wicks. It’s worth trying.

5 Likes

Is WL still the only US vendor for this?

2 Likes

So far yes.

@brasilVAP welcome to MTL. All of my MTL RTA’s do the same thing. Like everybody else has already mentioned, sweetner will make it happen sooner but it will still happen. I vape mostly Custards and that happens to me about every 4 tanks or so.

3 Likes

I use SS… when I use to burn them in hot or burn off flavors the cotton ended up black like that. When I just lightly burn then in not fully glowing hot they stay alot cleaner. I can even clean them back to their silverish gleam after 2 tanks even using 1% supersweet. if I use low temp vaping TC.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t know. I’m not in the US so I get all my flavors from the UK mainly CF and Rainbow Vapes.

1 Like

I have read that not enough power can cause more gunking, as there is stuff not getting fully vaporized.
This seems to happen to me as i like long tokes to usualy run relatively low power.

3 Likes

I agree with most of the above and can tell you it is the sweetner, try some other more concentrated flavors, I vape sweet strawberry and get a month on a wick and it is just barley discolored usually it is the coil needing to be cleaned that changes the flavor. I vape a kanger subtank with rebuildable coil at 30 watts with twisted SS wire. I learned a long time ago to use as little or no sweeteners as possible.

3 Likes