What do you use for measuring?

A cheap scale is a cheap scale. I have observed where mine (one of the popular Etekcity 500 g scales) will straight up ignore as much as 0.05 g in specific (but repeatable) circumstances.

For me scales are all about ease, speed, and convenience. The accuracy of the scale is not where it shines. Syringes were fine for the degree of accuracy needed to mix a 30 ml bottle of whatever. And if you want a truly precise scale youā€™ll need to budget another digit into the price tag anyway, and I believe that really isnā€™t worth it for what weā€™re doing.

Unless youā€™re doing nicotine titration tests for for your commercial e-liquid line, but then Iā€™m obviously not talking to you. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I have to agree with @zigz ā€¦scales are for "ease, speed, and convenienceā€™ and I canā€™t understand where some would think they are ā€œmoreā€ accurate than medical grade syringes.

A great scale for e-juice doesnā€™t need to cost over $25-$35 , and I recommend either an AWS LB-501 or AWS LB-3000
I have seen comments that the 3000 is not as accurate as the 500 (501) and I SMHā€¦
I have some scales that cost as much [or more] than a house payment and I have put them at a test against themselvesā€¦and they are all very accurateā€¦given you never dragged them behind your pickup.
The main thing I have noticed, weight-wise, the calibration weights for the cheaper scales fall short of ā€œtrueā€ versus the calibration weights that come with the high priced scales.

For e-juiceā€¦I am VERY comfortable with an AWS LB-501ā€¦in all ways.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve heard good things about that one and if I got another in the future that would probably be it. I totally agree about scales being about ease. When used correctly, I imagine syringes are at least as accurate if not more so than scales. But I really hate washing syringes and pipettes! LoL.

5 Likes

Hmmmm, too bad itā€™s not your birthdayā€¦or something. [long time til Christmasā€¦] :smile_cat:

4 Likes

I agree on both counts! lol

The easiest fix I have for washing? Donā€™t. -Buy more syringes!!

@0.30ea (including the needle), theyā€™re not that big an investment, at least to me, and itā€™s nice to not have to wash/clear a syringe each time you change a flavor. Simply grab that flavorā€™s syringe and roll! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I agree, I have a syringe for each of my 4oz and 8oz bottles. I use a hair tie rubber band thingy on each bottle to hold the syringe to the bottle when not in use.

2 Likes

For most of us, I think consistency is more important than accuracy. Even if our numbers are off a tad, as long theyā€™re off exactly the same each time we make a bottle then we get a good bottle of juice. With syringes - assuming your eyes work consistently well at reading the lines - consistency is pretty easy. With scales that may or may not register a few drops of PG the same each timeā€¦ maybe itā€™s not enough of a difference to matter. But the speed, convenience, and easy cleanup more than make up for it in my mind.

10 Likes

No kidding! :grinning: A good scale makes mixing by weight a breeze. I was a bit timid and unsure about mixing via weight at first, but once I gave it a go, there was no going backā€¦:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Amen to that!

1 Like

I started using a scale pretty early on. I didnā€™t really hear to many other people doing it at the time .One day I noticed that an e-juice calculator I was using at the time had an option for grams. I had no idea it was going to be that much easier for me. Iā€™ve been making juice for around a year and still have brand new syringes I bought with my first DIY order. Itā€™s great people going this direction. saves so much time. BTW I love the bike . I ride a 1968 triumph bonneville 650 that my dad and I restored about 15 years ago.

3 Likes

Yeah, but who wants to keep track of 20-100 different syringes? I tried just going generic to keep it simple (one syringe for all my strawberries, one for creams, etc) but even that was a hassle.

Also, $0.30? If you skip the needle and go bulk you can get em as cheap as $0.09 if you really prefer volume measuring.

1 Like

I still use a syringe to measure my nicotine, and with a 12ga SS blunt tip VG base nic is easy.

I have to agree with ozo on this scale. For the money the best scale I have ever owned.

3 Likes

If ozo recommends it and you second it, Iā€™m in. Itā€™s time to get a new scale so Iā€™ll make the AWS LB-501 my next purchase.

By the way, I ordered a new Etekcity scale from the Walmart website. It was advertised as 0.00 but when it got here it only went to 0.0. I contacted Etekcity who would not replace it, only issue a refund they say is because it was purchased through Walmart. Well bull effin shit. Ok, not going to blow a gasket over it but not giving them more business either. They did send me a UPS label to return it, but Iā€™d rather just keep the damn thing then take the time to package it back up. My time is worth more than $14.00.

2 Likes

You wonā€™t regret it. Love mine. Awesome that when using the AC plug it doesnā€™t auto shutoff. Sometimes takes a couple seconds for small drops to register, but Iā€™ve never had a problem with it reading correctly.

3 Likes

I listened to them bought that scale lb-501-AWS
Love it no regrets
I now mix in my beakers then to the magnetic mixer then pour into the bottles works great

They syringe is for nicotene with tip from Mr OZO
Thanks to these guys on the forum it is easy and accurate

5 Likes

Itā€™s all rainbows and pink elephants from here!
Nice set up @Machinist2.

2 Likes

What a drag! Sounds like maybe you got the 2000 gram capacity scale?

That oneā€™s better for the kitchen where 500 g capacity doesnā€™t always cut it. If you arenā€™t returning it, and have no use for it, maybe you know someone who bakes or whatever who could use it?

1 Like

Post withdrawnā€¦

I would avoid putting a magnetic stirrer on top of your laptop lol id hate to come on here and see a post saying ā€œmy harddrive was whiped from mixing ejuice!ā€ lol

3 Likes