What is the benefit of higher wattage?

OHM’s law appied to coils and thermal dynamics. Less resistance in a coil means more voltage applied across the coil is needed to generate an amount of heat. (difference of potential (+) to (-) is less in a low ohm coil) The result is higher current load on the battery and across the coil. This in and of itself isn’t beneficial in any other way than to reach a desired temperature more quickly.
Electrically, a higher resistance is more efficient. Thermal dynamically less resistance is more efficient.
Think of it as a 50 watt lamp giving off (X) amount of light, a 100 watt bulb gives off more, but draws more current doing so with the same voltage applied resulting in more power being consumed. Also, think of power (wattage) as being more a function as a resultant than something being applied. Even with (wattage) regulated mods, we are still merely changing the voltage applied which results in a quantity of power being consumed or converted to heat energy. A dimmer switch on a lamp reduces voltage to lower the amount of light (power) being consumed.
Now I sound like my advanced electronics teacher from the Navy.
Hope this clarifies something for somebody.
My Twisted Messes RDA loves a .3 ohm dual coil rig running on my iStick 100w set at 57w LOL.
VAPE ON!

2 Likes

He is right…your coil (resistance) is constant. With less voltage…you get less watts. Increase voltage…you get increase watts. Changing your voltage is like driving a manual transmission car. Changing your watts is like driving an automatic transmission car.

1 Like

A belated Thankyou @bradslinux …I’m starting to get it, I think…(I hope). I really dont have an intuitive sense for this stuff, but lets see if some of it has sunk in…

A .3 ohm coil, for example, offers less resistance than a .5 ohm coil… but draws more current from the battery. Right?

You mean more efficient in vaping terms?..more efficient at producing the good stuff… flavor & cloud, yes?
But less efficient in terms of battery life…?

So, you’ve got 2 coils, coming in at .3 ohm. If you ran only 1 of those coils, that would = .6 ohm?

At a given applied voltage yes.

Yes, too a point. Some like warmer vapes. A hot vape just sux for most of us. Less resistance results in more current at a given applied voltage. Think of resistance as resistance to current flow. Remember, power (watts) is what is being used at a given voltage and resistance and power or wattage is the result, not the variable input. Although our devices would have us think otherwise. Changing wattage is a misnomer, albeit a convenient one to represent more finite voltages changes.

Yes. And you are most welcome.
B

Got it!..Its so simple!
Thats great! I feel a lot more confident about it all now. Thx again @bradslinux !