What % to mix?

Hi there! I’ve been mixing my own for a month or so, atm I’m vapeing chocolate mint cream, I use 15% flavour but find the flavour a bit mild, if I go stronger with this flavour it starts to taste burnt. Anyway! I’ve ordered some vanilla & custard flavour & looking to mix them. What % of each should I use to get a good flavour? Thanks Elaine :neutral_face::roll_eyes:

Could you post your recipe or a link to your flavor stash? A lot depends on the brand of the flavors and the ratio of PG/VG in your mix. Also, what is your setup? Things that are really strong in a dripper will be a little more muted in a tank.

3 Likes

Not sure if this will work! I’m new to this so not sure what I’m doing. I use the curve 2 for vaping, I get my concentrate liquid from vape mate. Anything I’ve missed out just ask! Not sure if I’d be better 50/50 rather that 60/40. Any suggestions would help. Thanks :blush:

I think the ratio is fine. PG is a better flavor carrier than VG so that can sometimes make a difference. I’m not familiar with that concentrate brand, though. It might just be weak and need to be increased. Maybe another of our UK people can chime in on it.

People around here, in general, tend to stick to 10-20% total flavoring, with the average being on the lower end of that range. Less is usually more. You can add a little more easily than you can dilute. Also, too much flavoring can have the same effect as not enough. I’d start with a 10% total flavor mix and go from there. If you want it with lots of vanilla, do something like 7% vanilla and 3% custard. If you want the custard to be more in the front, do the opposite. Or if you want a balance, try 5% each. If you wanted to do all three you could try 4% chocolate mint, 3% vanilla and 3% custard or something similar.

Hope that at least gets you started in the right direction. You could also try to check out some other recipes that use similar flavors and see what their flavor %s are. Good luck! :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

What is the brand?

Welcome to this forum…A bunch of good people here… What kind of tank are you vaping with on that Curve 2?..Like JoJo mentioned a Tank will be a bit weaker than the sub-omh dripping devices…

I have experienced much of what you are describing and will offer my experience, and also need a few questions to ask…Are you Mouth to Lung vaping (similar to the way we smoke a cigarette) or direct to lung hitter (similar to hitting a bong)?..What kind of atomizer and coils are on your set up?

I am a mouth to lung vaper…and use tanks…and experienced much frustration, similar to what you are inquiring about…

Not knowing anything about your flavors, I did research them on a UK site and read some of the reviews…15% flavor seems to be the starting point that people report to be pleasing…

I experimented with MANY PG/VG ratios and Flavor percentages %…and 60/40 is a good flavor ratio to experiment and as you learn your flavors, you will be able to make adjustments to vape experience…But NOW, you are looking to achieve some results in Flavor…

What seems to be a good experiment to try would be to mix your 10ml batches…Do 2 batches at 15% flavor…Do another 2 batches at 20% flavor

Not sure what your burnt description is for you, but for me, it sounds like a harsh sort of description…Harshness can be attributed to high flavor%s…but proper steeping can solve that problem…Sometimes too much flavor tends to mute flavor, but in your scenario, you will find that steeping can deal with this effectively…

OK…Shake the hell out of your mixes and set 1 bottle from each batch to steep (mature) for about 2-3 weeks in a cool, dark room, drawer or closet…On a daily basis open them up and squeeze the air out first, then re-cap and shake them daily, then put them back to steep…

What this does is help the flavors blend with your base ingredients, but also, and perhaps more importantly, helps remove the volatile components (which can cause harsh taste) .from your juice…which in turn, brings out the flavor in your juice…Since you are working with Chocolate and mint creme…my experience has been that at least 3 weeks has worked for me, sometimes longer…This takes patience, but is definitely worth it…Fruit flavor experiments may be a little bit easier, as well…

With the other 2 bottles, I would do the above for 1 week, then test them on a daily basis (while the others are steeping)…and note the flavor of the vape daily, and observe if there is a flavor change during the course of time.

Not knowing what kind of atomizer you have, I will at least give my observations as to what determines flavor…

Larger surface area of coil and wick produce bolder flavor profiles… PG/VG ratios contribute greatly to flavor and are generally chosen as determined by what kind of devices one uses and vaping style Mouth to lung vs direct lung hitters…Some also have an allergy to PG or simply prefer the inherent smoothness of VG…as well as flavor %…It then becomes a balancing act.

Those who sub -ohm direct to lung hitter can get away with lower flavor percentages due to the fact that their equipment typically has very large surface area in addition to higher temperatures…They also tend to use more VG in their mixes…which is generally a smoother recipe than higher PG blends…

For me, since I mix for slightly smaller surface area atomizers with lower power, I tend to require higher PG values in my mixes…which tends to be a harsher component to deal with…HOWEVER…

Steeping of my juices has become one of THE most important factors in producing a smoother and more bountiful, flavorful vape… The high VG mixers also steep their juices…

I find that patience, and the willingness to experiment to be of great importance…

I would absolutely follow JoJos’ suggestion to check out some recipes on this site for information pertaining to ingredient percentages PG/VG ratios…This site is an excellent resource for you to learn how to create some nice stuff…

mix-STEEP-vape …and get to know some of the cool people here… :slightly_smiling:

3 Likes

If I make up a batch up & think it needs a bit more flavour can I just add a few drops rather than make up another batch? What brands of concentrate do most people buy? I’ve just got the tank that came with the curve, it has a cs duel coil. Thanks :blush:

I think that’d be fine. I do that sometimes. Or I will mix up single flavors at an average percent and test them. If they’re too strong, I know to go lower or if they’re too weak I go up.

People buy a lot of different brands, but the main ones are Perfumer’s Apprentice, Flavor West, FlavourArt, Inawera, Flavorah, Lorann, and Capella.

2 Likes

That is excellent advice/info and was put into words very well… Great post!!!

Hi Elaine I’m from the uk also. I’ve never used VapeMate in the uk they make there own flavour’s i believe. I prefer to get "brand"names if you will, because they have known % and are of far better quality.
Heres a few i use in the uk.
http://www.flavourart.co.uk/

http://www.leisureliquids.com/?m=no

I’ve used all of the above, good prices and fast delivery. Never had a problem with any of them.
Also this might be of use for your bottles, good prices but there normaly very busy and i had to wait 5days on my last order but they kept me well informed.
https://www.ibottles.co.uk/
Hope this helps.