What Ya Vaping/Mixing Today? 2024

The French Toast? How would you rate it against RFSC?

4 Likes

I’m mixing with it, but haven’t solo’d it yet, so I can’t directly compare to the RFSC yet.

4 Likes

Oh definitly. I think a big portion of taste to people is how the brain perceives a flavor based on past experience. it can sometomes trigger a not so accurate memory of a flavor note.

Speaking of raisins. I been wanting to get around to making a oatmeal raisin cookie but keep putting it off for another recipe.

5 Likes

Join the crowd, I’m always putting off for yet another recipe/flavor distraction. Somehow I recall a good Black Currant that may also work. Maybe someone who knows what I’m referring too can pipe in with the brand name.

3 Likes

Not that I like bringing up VTA with the uncertain future of that brand…
but VTA Red Dates is a good raisin

7 Likes

I gotta find that bottle

6 Likes

It’s too bad that VTA discontinued it. Before their website went down for “Maintenance” it wasn’t even listed on the website. Has anyone ever tried TPA Raisin I’ve thought about buying it a few times but never got it.

3 Likes

I have tpa raisin and vso. I havent got around to sft either yet though

4 Likes

From reading the reviews of TPA Raisin Im guessing that it’s ok up to .50% most reviews say over that % it gets weird. Though of course the reviews are all over the place on the taste. I’ve tried the VTA Rum Raisin and FLV Raisin Rum and I got more rum than raisin. Both were pretty good.

3 Likes

I was chasing something to try my own rum and raisin ice cream and this appeared to be just about all I could get. I was unsure if I was wasting my effort and money but decided it was worth a go. I mixed it as a standalone at 10% and left it for 3 weeks to steep. Initially I wasn’t really enjoying it tasting a kind of weak aniseed with a touch of alcohol of some sort. Therefore I left it alone but returned to it after another 7 weeks and my perception of the taste changed completely. It appeared to transform into exactly what I was after being a rum/ raisin type taste… perhaps even an alcohol steeped grape??? Tasted magnificent on its own and transformed a couple of existing recipes. Therefore moving forward I’m going to buy a bigger bottle and ensure any time it’s used its left to steep for 2-3 months. One I would give more than 5 stars to if possible…as long as it’s left to steep that is.

These were my notes on TFA Raisin @McDuckie. I did SFT it a long time ago and haven’t since but I do remember the shock of returning to it. If memory serves I nearly didn’t bother getting it as there wasn’t a lot of love out there for it.

7 Likes

Same here @Gazza7 i haven’t purchased it due to the slim pickings. When it came to reviews on TPA Raisin. I guess it won’t hurt to throw a 10 or 30 in my basket @ DiYVapor. One recipe that I think needs to be perfected is an oatmeal raisin cookie. Time to get the wheels turning hopefully someone has RF Oatmeal Cookie for sale. Yep just as I hoped

6 Likes

@Frunkster gave the RF Oatmeal cookie a 7.5/10 I’d have said 8/10 but it’s a great starting point for an oatmeal raisin cookie. I had a 10ml years ago while trying to clone Yogi Granola. I know it pairs really well with FLV Granola, FLV Caramel ( maybe now ULTIMATE Brown Sugar) and VTA Red Dates. My first attempts at an oatmeal raisin cookie seemed to be too dry, (that’s before I learned that .50 Cap VC1 helps keep cookies from being too dry). I think it’s time to try oatmeal raisin cookies again. :+1:

6 Likes

FA oatmeal cookie from their last release could be a one shot, it’s the whole darn cookie with a little icing. It’s got crunch, it’s smooth, sweet. It made one of my top10 for 2023. The bb muffin as well, one shot material. Both worth picking up if you’re ordering from Nomz!

8 Likes

Thank Lynda I’ll check it out.

7 Likes

Can anyone suggest a sub for LB Vanilla Ice Cream that’s available @BC. I want to get just a few flavors for my rainbow sherbet and BC doesn’t carry LB VIC. I’ve noticed a lot of folks seem to like SSA Ice Cream or Ice Cream Vanilla. I’m thinking SSA Ice cream as VIC tends to mute the fruity flavors. Any suggestions?

6 Likes

I like ssa vanilla ice cream way better then lb . Its my number 1 ice cream

8 Likes

@McDuckie SSA’s VIC and IC are very good, BUT, they’re “clean” versions, and lack the obvious “buttery rich” dirty-ness that LB’s is known for. I’d pick up both SSA’s VIC, and FW’s VBIC, as it is a little dirty-er, and rich/thicker. Still not buttery rich, BUT, pushing in that direction.

8 Likes

Thanks guys for responding. After seeing your review on SSA Ice cream, I’m thinking that to keep the sherbet an ice cream but without the vanilla note, (to allow the fruits to shine) I’m gonna try SSA Ice cream. As you stated in your review it’s very neutral. “Now, despite this being as great as it was, it would be easy to overpower this in a mix”. It might give me the ice cream body but it won’t mute the sherbet or fruit notes.

6 Likes

Ahhh, I COMPLETELY missed that you were trying to Sherbet. Yes, SSA’s will be the cleanest, most neutral one you can get from Bull City.

6 Likes

Thats why i love ssa. I grew up on mr softee. Ssa is more of a heavy thick dairy soft serve ice cream vs more of a tub of ive cream.

7 Likes