Which Nicotine base

I’m starting to make my own e juice. I like great flavor, but want huge clouds! When I go to buy my nicotine, I’m asked what base I want. I’m so confused on what to buy because I’m buying pg and vg separately as well. So can someone recommend a base I should use. Or would it be better to buy the nicotine, vg, and pg all in one? Thank you, and any advice is very welcomed.

3 Likes

Welcome. The nicotine comes diluted, you can choose PG or VG, up to you. It won’t likely change much depending on which one you use, because you probably aren’t going to add enough nic to make a profound difference. The VG base is a lot thicker which makes it a bit harder to deal with (harder to mete out with the syringes) which is why I use PG based, but that’s really going to be up to you in the long run. I use 100mg strength nic base, which is easy for me to math out plus uses less per bottle, so even less impact on clouds using PG based nic. And personally, I use separate PG, VG, and nic, never a pre-mixed lot.

5 Likes

Welcome home @Tyson43. Just wanted to say hello and @anon70102222 Does it the way I do too. So good luck and whenever you have a question don’t hesitate to ask or search the forum to see if it was already talked about.

3 Likes

I think I’m gonna buy everything separately as well. I’ll definitely get a hold of you soon. One thing though, when buying my nicotine, should I buy the 100% pg or vg? Or 70 vg 30pg. I want clouds so what should I do

3 Likes

If you absolutely want 100% vg, then get the vg base nicotine. It will take you longer to shake after mix, though.

3 Likes

Personally I get the 50/50. If you get the fifty fifty on your first buy, you could decide whether to get pg or vg or 50/50 on your next buy.

How much nic will you put into your recipes? I ask because I doubt it will make a big difference if you get the pg…

The vg is harder to work with IMO. It takes longer to mix together and longer to steep.

4 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with buying it premixed. I do buy it separately because I like to have control of what I do, but honestly speaking, 99% of the time I make my own premix because it’s a hell of a lot more convenient to work with and saves me a ton of time when I mix.

PG and VG ratio is important if you’re not vaping on an RDA. PG makes your liquid thin, VG makes it thick. If you vape on a commercial tank, you’ll probably want to aim for a 60VG/40PG to 80VG/20PG ratio. Thicker: you’re not going to get good wicking and you’ll burn your coil. Thinner and your tank will start to leak. For MTL devices you usually want a higher PG ratio. PG also gives you more of a throat hit than VG does.

If you mix everything yourself, you do have a lot more freedom and it’ll be easier to make different liquids for the different types of devices you may have.

A lot of your questions are extensively talked about in the forum. I advise you to read a lot before you get into mixing and use the search function on the forum. The E-liquids:Beginners section is full of good information to get you started with base liquids, flavors, equipment and everything else you need.

4 Likes

There’s a statement you should really abide. We’re not going to doink you for asking a repetitive question, but the wealth of information here and across the tubes is very much worth digesting for your own sake. A lot of people that have come before you have made and learned from a lot of mistakes, and have shared that knowledge for your benefit.

4 Likes

I’m gonna be using 12mg nicotine. So my question is still not answered. I’m buying everything separate. Because I want to have the control. What I need to know is if I buy 50/50 nicotine, is it easier to then mix my recipes because then vg and pg are on equal ground for lack of a better phrase? Basically, the recipe calculator will help me make the adjustments anyways right?

1 Like

Also, why would anyone buy different ratios. This nicotine thing is quite confusing. I mean if I buy higher vg in nicotine I would have to use more pg and vice versa right?

1 Like

right

That’s the way I figure it.

I would guess that nobody wants to tell you “get this or get that” because we have all been there and its a question of doing your research. We give you the pro’s and con’s and let you make a decision but if you need an answer then I will answer.

Get the 50/50.

You’ll get the hang of it. Just hang in there and read. Start here :: Resources e-Liquid Calculator
it’s on the recipe side under the heading Resources. It will help a lot.
Good luck and Vape On.

3 Likes

@Tyson43 I’d say get 100% PG nic to get as thin as possible nic base (easier to avoid hot spots) though. If you have PG and VG separately, it really doesn’t make much difference with your mixing.

What I would recommend though is to get sample size nicotine bottles (like 100ml or smaller) and try a couple different ones (regular, salt, different brands, …) to see which ones you like best. I’ve heard lots of different people with different preferences and you can’t know until you try. Once you know what you like, stick with it and you can buy bigger bottles.

My first bottle was 72mg/ml and 100 or 150ml… took me nearly a year to finish it. It’s strong stuff, don’t go too wild on it, especially if you don’t yet know what you really want (and that advice goes for flavors too, start small and work your way up).

3 Likes

There you go. You asked, you got two different answers from two people. Why? Because there is really no ‘right or wrong’. What’s ‘right’ is just what’s going to end up working for you.

VG is thick, hard to work with, definitely makes the big clouds.

PG is thin, easy to work with, harsher on the throat, makes weenie clouds. Unless you use a profoundly absurdly high NIC ratio, it probably isn’t going to make much difference. So get some and test, find your happy place.

4 Likes

Welcome @Tyson43 Basically, the answer is already given. It depends on the device and tank is usually mixed between 50pg / 50vg and maximum vg that can reach 95 or more vg. I recommend that you play with the calculator to understand how it works. And buy everything separately to play. Sorry for my bad grammar. Have fun …

3 Likes

What kind of set up do you have?

Ya got a tank, dripper or ???

More info you give… the better someone can help! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Aegis mini, smok priv 8, nord, and I’m getting a legend

2 Likes

I don’t know but I never got a clear answer

2 Likes

Give it time, my friend. Multiple threads asking the same question are typically ignored.

3 Likes

So it is a sub ohm, you can get by with a 70vg 30pg up to max vg which is considered a 80 vg 20pg or even 100%vg base…

now if it was a mtl tank, youd go from a 60pg 40vg up to a 60vg 40pg

I hope this makes sense… I know it is tough to be new to mixing… hang in and keep asking questions…

1 Like

I’d start with a 70/30 ratio and see how you like that. Too much VG will give problems with flavors / steeping. Unless you have a PG allergy or you compete in cloud competitions, it’s always better to have a 5th or more PG in your mix. (note that most flavors are PG based). Read up on it and use the search function, there’s plenty info on these forums

1 Like