White Whale Recipes

I saw this topic from the upcoming AAFL show about the same topic. White Whale recipes or in other words that one recipe that seems impossible to get it right. For me that has to be an authentic Irish Cream. I’ve come close many times though it never seems to work out after the steep. For me it always comes down to the whiskey note. All of the whiskeys I’ve tried (except JD Whiskey from MB which is too sweet) always has a strong peat/oak note. I personally don’t get peat/oak notes from something like a Bailey’s Irish Cream.
Who else has a White Whale recipe? What’s that recipe you’ve been chasing I know for Lynda its probably Cream Team Buttercream (sorry still working on a clone Lynda) and for Session D it would have to be an authentic S’mores. And of course Fiddy I don’t know maybe Kilo Dewberry. :wink:

11 Likes

I’ve been trying on getting this right for 2 years now,

7 Likes

Eggnog… I have mixed SO many different recipes and while not bad there is just no vape equivalent. I wish that LA’s Eggnog was color free, it was at the top of the list for me but made my throat tickle. VSO and FLV the only ones you have? I have a few others, FW, TPA, NF, FF and i think i have 2 from RF. Be happy to send some if it helps capture that turn whale fer ya. Gotta say tho @muth and her Cuban Eggnog made me branch out a bit using Condensed Milks for the base.

I dont really have any WW recipes with the exception of Thimbleberry. Since i started mixing all them years ago i have tried to make a proper Thimbleberry Jam and failed with ZERO advancements. Its more of a flavor than a recipe tho i guess.

7 Likes

That’s another tough profile, finding the right mouth-coating eggy vaniila cream with the perfect blend of spices for a really amazing EggNog.

9 Likes

Hmmm Thimbleberry Jam. :thinking: I know I’ve heard of that before. I had to check my amish cookbook collection. Yep found it. A Sweet Tart Jam reminiscent of red currants and raspberries, with hints of roses, and soft, nutty-flavored seeds.

7 Likes

Its sooo good and one of the few things that the Keweenaw is known for as they grow very well here but are near impossible to cultivate as just touching the leaf can make ripe berries fall to the ground. Shane taught me how to make an extract, i have all the stuff to do so i just havent had the time to try yet and i think that the nuttiness of the seeds is gonna be lost.

Ive asked many of the flavor houses to make me one but its been a NO thus far. Walt, RF, started to but then he sold the company.

7 Likes

Lol…I would have to say mine is an Accurate Spumoni dessert.Weather its ice cream or a cake or whatever. The layering of the 3 flavors has been tough. Ive come pretty close but once i add the Cream or Cake part it falls apart.

8 Likes

Ooo ya a layering of Cherry Pistachio and Chocolate would be quite a task. What’s your fav choice for pistachio? I would think most pistachios would overpower most other flavors.

8 Likes

That would be my White Whale! I do think they used all FW for some reason. It’s seems like an easy one, but I’ll keep working on it :smile:

9 Likes

I just bought some last night :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

8 Likes

I used TPA…It has to be pushed to 5 and 6pct but seems to work the best

6 Likes

TPA is a good pistachio. Have you tried INW Green Joy it’s a really good pistachio cream. I used it to make a Watergate Salad (my daughter calls it pistachio fluff) It pairs really well with Marzipan for a almond/cherry note. Then you would just need a chocolate and an ice cream base.

6 Likes

A good caramel recipe that has the sweetness of the real thing.

7 Likes

Which whiskeys have you tried?

7 Likes

Omg, if you get it I’d love to see it. Spumoni was my dad’s favorite and I even remember the day he introduced it to me. He brought home both a Spumoni and a Tortoni. My dad’s favorite pastime was introducing his kids to different food experiences. I’ll never forget, on my 16th birthday, he took me to a fancy French restaurant and ordered me soft shell crabs.

7 Likes

I’m waiting in the wings for that, too.

7 Likes

I think i may have found the trick to perfecting eggnog. I was actually gonna do it for the contest and it was coming out good but had to scrap it cuz i needed more then 5 flavors in it. If it comes good when i get back around to it ill post the recipe. You think outside the box with flavorings on this one. Just going with eggnog type flavors dont work. The one im working on has a fruit in it but not used to taste the fruit

8 Likes

Eggzactly :tada:

5 Likes

VTA Red Dates, not sure why I thought of this when I saw these posts but I just get a feeling :thinking:

8 Likes

Funny I was just thinking of Red Dates today for my bread pudding recipe…

8 Likes