Who still buys commercial juices?

One of the first commercial fruity flavours I ever tried (I acquired a handful with a 2nd hand Coolfire Mini kit) was Area 51 by Alien Vape. It’s a sweet melon mix, honeydew forward and very lovely especially in the summer. I’ve been trying to recreate it since I started mixing, starting with looking for others’ attempts, but no luck so far. Now that it’s been discontinued I really have to concentrate my efforts as I’m down to my last 20ml.
I’ve tried probably half a dozen other commercials all told and none has been enjoyable without tweaking in some way, and most just revolting. It makes me realise how expensive things must get for folk who don’t mix, trying ~£10 bottles they find they don’t like.

5 Likes

Halo Tribeca was the first juice I used and the only tobacco flavor I ever liked. It got me off the analogs from the first day. Big props to Halo.

5 Likes

I picked up one of these, just for old time’s sake.

7 Likes

Yeah they look … well packaging can be deceiving obviously, but I often find it swings the other way too: companies that invest in good packaging often do so out of pride in their product.

4 Likes

Re: net, I also never thought to buy someone else’s net and haven’t gotten to making, but the whole leaf tobacco places might make us rethink that, pick out some whole leaf blends and give it a whirl, leaf only has quarter lb samplers.

I’ve been having good luck doing some of the terpenes, with some basil or zen garden mixed with tiny bit of Flavorah tobacco flavors. Getting close to that fresh pouch of old school ryo

2 Likes

@Guido_Possum Got killer kustard I Like it reminds me of my grandmother’s pound cake batter but I think the acetaldehyde gave me headache going try watering down with some vg see if it makes a difference

3 Likes

Did a little mixing this evening. That 100ml of Killer Kustard disappeared much faster than I thought it would, I was even mixing it with some strawberry cream in my squonk bottle…Anyhew, I was looking at a bunch of recipes here and on ATF and came across one of Wayne Walkers & tweaked it a little here & there …resulting in a virtual shake and vape, fairly close (as to my palate & aroma perception). Cap Vanilla Custard V2 7%, Vanilla Swirl TPA 2%, New York Cheesecake CAP 3%, Shisha Vanilla INW 2% (I was going to use CAP French Vanilla V2 @ 3-4% but my bottle had turned blackish) (I went for a purer vanilla, actually vanillin would have been awesome, but I don’t have it). Lastly I added .5% Super Sweet. It is really quite tasty & close.

4 Likes

Are you announcing a Vanilla Custard mix that is shake and vape fast??

NO steep time?

That would be as big as Bruce Lee’s “I’ve invented martial art method with no fixed positions”

We’ve been talking about the steep time of custards recently, with my telling @Scotty that even though she prefers ‘fresh’ tasting commercial custards she should definately NOT expect her own mixes to be tasting like much fresh because creams and custards just seem completely tasteless when they’re first mixed: it seems to be just universal, but then as the days roll on that flavour slowly seeps out.

• First, you taste fuckall and are dissapointed by the nothingness…
  • Then after a few days you begin to get some light vanilla and a LITTLE creaminess…
  • Finally, you notice you can taste custard on the exhale which is pretty exciting given how tasteless it’s been up until then, but that takes around 7 days for the ones I’ve mixed.

From there, the taste/flavour just keeps slowly coming out a little each day.

Yeah no steep time custard would be very popular.

3 Likes

Yes, it is definitely quite vapable off the shake. I also added about 3 drops of TPA signature custard just as a booster because my Cap V2 is quite aged and even mahogany looking. I am no stranger to the nuances of working with (steeping) custards, that is one of the reasons I used V2 over the original. The Killer Kustard base is 100% for sure Cap v2! WW had mentioned this in one of his video’s a way back and he is correct! Anyway, I expect it to get better with a week to 10, but really tasty (repeating myself I know) now. The color is spot on too.

4 Likes

Does Cap VC v2 have a long steep time if that’s the only VC in the mix?

I’ve never used it, but I know it’s arguably one of the most popular custard flavours and the only custard I have here is VTA’s Warm Custard, which has the same lovely flavour and rich exhale of Killer Custard, but took over a week before that exhale become - present.

Their site recommends up to 8+ days steeping too, but I wonder how long it takes for these (both Capella’s and this one) custard flavours to fully steep or rather, how long it would take for the flavour to hit it’s maximum.

2 Likes

Yes, I still use V1 and that does certainly taste nicer after a long steep. Usually around 2 months + for my taste.

4 Likes

JUST Vanilla Custard v2?

(and some amount of sweetnener, I’m just ignoring that because I’m sure it’s in Killer Custard, though I really don’t think they use much because compared to some custards I’ve tried, KC almost tastes to me like it’s on the fence between savoury and sweet).

I should actually add some custard to some VG tonight, even with no idea what mixes I might use it in it’s better off started than in the flavour bottle.

But… WHY does it need to steep when it’s been sitting suspended in PG since it was manufactured? Surely it’s steeping in it’s own bottle - you would think… someone will find an answer to that one of these days, because we’re not using actual concentrated powdered forms of flavours here, they should steep in their PG…

That’s always been a question that’s sat at the back of my head and make me wonder.

2 Likes

V2 does have a much shorter steep time than V1, I don’t believe it will react and turn redish with age like most custards do either. There are other “quick” custard recipes out there, some with INW custard and some with lower percentages of custard. I was as shocked as anyone when tasting this mix. I almost always try a drip or so when I mix, you generally know if it is bad it isn’t going to turn into something exceptional. I just found a 100ml of a Boss Solo Reserve I made in 12/19, it is a bit dark but it is actually really good. I am not personally fond of aged out oxidized colored juices but in this case the dark improved it immensely. Mix up a 10 or 30ml of my recipe and see for yourself.

4 Likes

No, the Vanilla Swirl & the NY Cheesecake are definitely in the KK also. I guess it is possible my V2 which was purchased sometime in 2016 (in glass and the dark since) may have aged in the bottle?

4 Likes

I did and still do drip fresh mixes just to see what’s going on, but I’ve stopped bothering to test custard and creamy mixes when fresh now - they just never have any taste, and I know they won’t.

I’ve gotta order some Capella VC v2 - just so I can mess around and get a feel for it.

Though I’ll append to that, it’s not because the VTA Warm Custard isn’t good enough: I like that enough to order a 100mL bottle of it this week - it’s got no ‘off’ notes at all and now I’m finding it has that KC-flavoured exhale I’m down with that being my primary custard base.

But Capella’s version will be somewhat different I’m sure, and everyone seems to use it - so I want to know, means I’ve got to get :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That could very well be the reason it’s shake and vape now, you know :slight_smile:

If it’s old enough to have turned dark brown/red, yeah it may be you’ve just got a bottle of super-steeped flavour, which makes it almost priceless compared to a fresh bottle! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

One caveat to V2, if you have any sensitivity to butyric acid skip it. It “bothers” some people…If you like KK you probably don’t!

3 Likes

I’d gladly trade it for a fresh one - in fact I am going to be ordering a new bottle.

3 Likes

Yeah nup: I’ve not had any issue with any irritation from anything I’ve shoved in a vaporizer so far.

The closest I could even come to an irregular experience is that the strawberry commercial liquids I’ve tried, I could not taste any strawberry at all, in any of em.

Stopped bothering with strawberry altogether actually: until this order - that’s got a bottle of Glazed Strawberries in since I’ve got cheescake coming too.

Still, it’s only a 30mL bottle of S/Berry and I would not have added it except for the fact the other 10 VTA flavours I have don’t have any weird flavours and seem pretty on-point, so I figure maybe they’ve sorted strawberry or created one that’s tastable now shrug

4 Likes

Why?

Taste off? Strange?

Sounds like superior custard to me: being that well aged :slight_smile:

These bottles state “Shelf-life: 3 years”, but even then if they still taste good (or better, if they last 3 years), I won’t have an issue using em :smirk:

2 Likes