Who uses the homogenizer

Holy Crap!!! That 18mm head is a beast! 120ml in a 125ml flask. Probe about 1/2 inch from bottom (as far down as it would go). Max speed for one minute. Beautiful figure 8 pattern with small vortexes forming within the liquid. Zero evidence of viscosity difference at end of process.

What I don’t know. Directions not clear to me. What is the little tubular tool with a screw placed through it and the small plastic plug/spacer/bushing for?

4 Likes

@anon36682625 beyond mixing up a really big batch, and having at it with these clearly scientific grade devices, I’m trying to takle the “hassle” factor for an average mixer/DIY’er. How hard/involved is it to remove the heads (??) in between bottles to prevent cross contamination ?? Assuming a 70v/30p mix, would the one you have be able to work in room temp VG in smaller batches, say 30-120ml range ? I’ve never used one, and will very often have 10-20 30ml bottles of some same, most different mixes that I would be contending with. How would this type of a setup work for me, if you have any thoughts ? Thank you.

4 Likes

Multiple questions so I’ll take them one at a time.

Each of several manufacturers has their own proprietary way of attaching the generator/head. All that I have seen are quick and simple to attach and assemble/disassemble. On the Pro Scientific to attach you simply push up and twist. It is spring loaded. See the second pic in my last post. There are slots milled and a pin in the motor attachment. Here is the same disassembled:

At the top of the head there is a bearing. To the top right is the drive connection. The Teflon washer sets between it and the top bearing. With one Allen screw the whole thing disassembles the drive shaft and the lower bearing and and rotor knife comes out. Very easy and quick to clean.

What I do though is keep a glass of distilled water or two and run the homogenizer in them to clean in place. So whether I disassemble or not depends on what I’m mixing. I’ve found that this “clean in place” works great where I can just pop it out and dry the outside and shake what few drops of water remain. I’ve gone as far as licking disassembled parts to try to detect any residue that would cross contaminate. The parts are highly polished 316 stainless and nothing is going to stick to them with the pressure developed by running it.

Not at room temp. See the Cat Scientific video at post 13 “Preheating before homogenizing.” VG is too viscous. That is a very expensive machine and even it won’t. Like you I mix more 30 ml bottles than anything else. Here’s my ultra fancy setup for when I only want to mix four or five:

I bought this little potpourri crock at a yard sale for a couple of bucks. It maintains 60C/140F. Add a cheap candy thermometer.This works as well as anything and is not a pain to clean and doesn’t hog space. I can fit 5 30ml bottles in it.

I would love to have a 18 or 20 mm generator but it likely wouldn’t get used much. If I need a large batch I can always make multiple 120 ml mixes and do it really fast.

I mix for a few friends and it never fails, they wait till the last minute. I just tell them to come by later.

6 Likes

We want Ogrevision :rofl:

6 Likes

OUTSTANDING !! At first glance, with the “head ??” disassembled, I’m thinking, “Yeah, no way I’m doing THAT between every bottle”, but yes, rinse in place, makes MUCH more sense.

I had already watched that vid, and had hoped that maybe in smaller batches, heating wouldn’t be required, but roger that.

I appreciate you taking the time, and the pics, to help better explain the benefits, and boots on the ground usage realities. Starting to wish I had some more space (a lot more space), and some spare cash.

5 Likes

Ogre, ogre, ogre !!!

Take one for the team brother. I’d love to see an Ogre write up on one of these. I would EVEN be willing to SACRIFICE any/all scope time to boot !!!

4 Likes

I’m thinking about it. It won’t be a full review, but I just might make a “short” showing the thing in action.

6 Likes
9 Likes

so that’s how you upload vid’s . awesome demonstration .

5 Likes

Maybe slightly off topic but I ran across this today. The cannabis industry relies on homogenizers.

7 Likes

Very much appreciate your taking the time to do a “sneak peek” on the new tool!

I can only hope this thing is still the same price whenever I get the means to get one!

Looks like it ought to be a real winner, and I hope it lasts for you guys!!

6 Likes

Thanks! I / we do too! I take the liberty of the “we”. This really isn’t much of a test but a watermelon and apple mix that I put through the homogenizer tasted identical to a mix done three weeks ago using a mag stirrer to me. The homogenized mix only sat for “settling time” (maybe an hour or so for the gasses to fade.

7 Likes

the only down side I see is cant seem to order replacement probes but when compared to the price of probes for the higher priced homogenizers I can buy a few of these for the price of one probe .

but yea as @SmilingOgre said we hope it last for awhile -

ill second that . both my test mixes tasted as they had steeped for a week or two.

So in my opinion the answer to the age old question is there a way to speed up the steeping process is

Homogenize

But this is only my opinion

8 Likes

Thanks @SmilingOgre couldn’t get the vid to load when mobile, WILL be watching it tonight when NOT mobile. I appreciate you taking the tme to put it up for us. It’s not that I don’t respect, or can’t learn from the canned “scientific employee” video, but it’s ALWAYS better, when Walt does it. Just is.

4 Likes

Dunno if it’s the same with you, but for me, having grown leary of so much BS marketing, I typically value trusted sources opinions higher than promotional materials anymore.
Not saying I had any reservations (AT ALL) related to the video linked by Guitarded…because it was not the typical marketing crap. It’s directed at the professional/scientific communities, and they typically have no need/tolerance for BS. :wink:

But yes, like you, a confirmation from a trusted source is ALWAYS welcome here too! :wink:

4 Likes

And THAT is all she wrote !!!

Agreed…

3 Likes

@Sprkslfly, @SessionDrummer,

Very much appreciate that my brothers. I’m with you all the way. Soooooo tired of marketing BS.

3 Likes

Well, I didn’t mean to appear as if I was DISCOUNTING the earlier vids above, but for me, with my buying dollar, now, I want someone I can relate to, who’s IN my circle of trust, and can tell me what something can do for ME. That carries a shit ton more than flashy, overproduced, fast-cut vids. Less is more.

3 Likes

yes thx @SmilingOgre for the video trusted source is always good.

to be honest I was nervous about buying the homogenizer … $200 was god hope the results are worth the $$$. But someone has to be the crash test dummy… and at least I did look at some of the pricey versions websites and vids they had … granted it was awhile back . also glad we got a lot of useful information out of this thread.

5 Likes

Bkackberry pinacolda on left and snobbery on the right.

5 Likes