Who uses the homogenizer

Here’s a 20 mm.
by PRO Scientific

PRO Scientific PRO-72-20115 316 Stainless Steel Saw Tooth Homogenizer Generator, 20mm Diameter x 115mm Length

Price: $1,457.00

Crazy. There is a 10mm on amazon for $202.00 which is normally about $1100.
There is a 5mm for $1140. A 7mm for $170. This is just the probe.

Anyone considering a Pro Scientific (good quality) unit should watch Amazons pricing before purchasing. For whatever reason, it fluctuates wildly. I was about to spend 2k + or so and bought my equipment for about $700.00. The motor alone lists for over 1.2 k and generally the probes are over $1k each.

Edit, I don’t know why I can’t post links. Too dumb I guess. Anyway, if these 200 units work as well as they appear to, its a steal for this kind of equipment. Most lab stands cost $200 or more.

4 Likes

Lazy 10k for a sft mixer

https://www.amazon.com/PRO-Scientific-Multi-Prep-Homogenizer-System/dp/B01LZ4RN89

8 Likes

On the bright side it’s only $60.54 shipping !!!

7 Likes

Here is a very affordable early model homogenizer. A few advancements have been made since its development though:

11 Likes

Here’s an article from Pro Scientific
https://proscientific.com/homogenize-vegetable-glycerin-for-e-juice

5 Likes

I like this part at the very bottom of that article

Will homogenizing affect my steeping time?

We have been working closely with many customers lately in regards to these specific type of applications

From some of our customers processing smaller volumes (10-50ml), we have been told that 15 seconds of homogenization is like a week or two of steeping. Our homogenizers are high shear homogenizers which create a uniform particle bandwith of your sample. This is different than a traditional blender. Blending isn’t the same as homogenizing and it would definitely take a lot longer. It has been reported that 15-30 seconds of a homogenizer would be equivalent to what might be accomplished by a blender in 20 minutes. The benefit of our equipment is there is minimal to no heat produced during processing.

7 Likes

Too bad these homogenizers are either soo big, or expensive, I’m feeling the need to homogenize. I’m not mixing up 500-1000+ml enough to justify the price, or real estate loss in the cave. Most of mine (beyond personal) is in the 120-480ml range. It is interesting to see the compare/contrast to blending @tartarusspawn.

5 Likes

Inorite! :confounded: Lets see… :thinking: food, bills, car, gas, clothes, education, medication, etc. or homogenizer?!? Damnit! :rage:

Such a hard choice :rofl:

6 Likes

Hehe, yeah, right ?? !! I mean who here, doesn’t know, that I like to TEST !!! Would love to test it out for a spin, just to see what’s what, but, I think it’s off the table. If someone told me I could add gold flakes to my recipes, and make them all winners, I still couldn’t do it. But if you’ve got the room, the cash, BOOM, I am jealous. For the masses however, I suspect few will partake. I did learn a few things from this thread, and THAT, is FREE. Thanks to @tartarusspawn for starting this rodeo off.

6 Likes

Just for interest’s sake I would love to try a Homogenizer, but I sure couldn’t justify that sort of cost.
So time steeping for me still.

5 Likes

You and I both brother.
There’s always the “poor man’s edition” (ultrasonic)… chuckles

Hours still beats weeks in my book! :wink:

9 Likes

Fortunately I have a shit memory, so I put it away and actually forget it, then a month later come across it and am excited that I have a new recipe to try.
Yes I know, small things amuse small minds.

5 Likes

been wanting one try the homognizers my self for awhile but thousands of dollars was out of my price range. right now . but $200 i said sure lets give it a shot …

got plans for the small bootles that came with the homogeniozer perfect for small 10ml test batches

7 Likes

OK, so what’s the SMALL one, that you can use to homogenize 30-120ml bottles ?

4 Likes

Glassware capacity:5ml,10ml,15ml,20ml

i used the Small blade:12mm for the 100 ml test batch of snozberry

5 Likes

I think it’s way cool how they do that. It’s like the bubbles are literally
imploding! I’ve taken my bottles out just to shake 'em up again so I can watch the carnage all over. They all but disappear in under 2 min.

7 Likes

This withholding of the nicotine…it’s understood that heat induces oxidation in the nic. But if heat is not in the equation is it a better practice overall to just steep out first and add the nic at a later time? For years I have always been in the ‘no shortcuts’ camp in terms of steeping methods, including the use of heat. But my nic is always added in with the flavors. Now ya gots me wondering.

@Kinnikinnick…I goofed on the “quote” option. Sorry.

6 Likes

To me, as long as the nic isn’t heated then it can be added at mix time. Because in my case, I mix 100ml at a time, and even when time steeped it doesn’t last long enough for the nic to weaken due to oxidation. But for big batches that will last a long time, like a liter of juice being meted out over 6 months plus, then yeah I would add the nic when I transfer some of the liter bottle juice to a smaller bottle for consumption.

7 Likes

Phil uses nic salts. I don’t know how salts react compared to normal pg/vg base but they are claimed to be less prone to oxidation. Maybe another factor to consider.

4 Likes

I have Pro Scientific equipment and never mix more than 120 mls. I have a 7 mm probe perfect for ten or 15 ml tests. I have a 10mm that works great for 60 ml and really doesn’t have enough through-put for anything larger than 120. For me the biggest advantage is for testing and recipe creation.
For 7mm test I use a dropper cap/ bulb then slide the probe out and spring clip it while it cools down.

For all others I use variations of this:

I use a stand

I have it where I can simply lift the motor up and insert the bottle, then it returns to a set height.

8 Likes