Wire coils vs mesh coils

What are your thoughts guys about wire or mesh coils, which do you prefer and why? Thnx

3 Likes

Once I used mesh on the Profile RDA it’s all I’ve used since. I never liked messing with wire. I like the ease and consistency and the flavor is great.

8 Likes

Mesh to Sub-ohm Tanks from, just ok tasting e-liquid to, Wham Bam thank you ma’am. I would say that mesh totally transformed Sub-ohm Tanks.

5 Likes

I heard mesh is more difficult to wick and it dry hits easily and mercilessly. Was that true and if so, is it still?

3 Likes

For medium power vaping mesh for me hands down. If I am going 80+ then coils but overall mesh is my favorite.

@Dan_the_Man your right, mesh has transformed subohm tanks. The Freemax Mesh Pro with the dual or triple mesh coil is still one of my all time favorite tanks.

@anon70102222 yeah, wicking can be tricky with mesh. The wick has to be tight against the mesh and evenly so. Any spot that the wick is not contacting the mesh can give off burnt notes. That is why the Profile RDA changed the game by adding a ceramic spring loaded block under the wick to maintain contact with the mesh. The wick needs to be really tight when pulling through, so tight that you think it might be too tight…lol

10 Likes

For me it’s mesh 90% of the time. Usually the Wotofo Profile mesh family.
And @anon70102222, dry hits from mesh are on a whole different level of nasty. Wicking isn’t much different than coils but you need to be aware of the pitfalls like @mjag pointed out.

7 Likes

Perhaps initially. However, once it’s figured out it becomes routine to wick. I don’t get dry hits on either the Profile RDA or the Unity RTAs. For the latter I use a thin piece of Rayon wrapped in cotton. It gives the speed of rayon with the saturation of cotton. Works like a charm every time.

8 Likes

So tight that occasionally I bend the mesh if it’s 200 SS. I like using Ni 80 because it’s much stronger.

3 Likes

I do get dry hits on occasion when squonking due to lack of attention. It always wakes my ass right up.

6 Likes

Has any one tried the Clapton Mesh that comes with the Profile RDTA? If not check it out. It’s a damn nice vape. Only available in A1 unfortunately.

5 Likes

So… all mesh coils are flat and require a clamp type system to attach? Are there any that utilize traditional posts?

2 Likes

I don’t think there are any…
One more thing about the mesh I noticed that they drink the e liquid like a camel :camel:

4 Likes

I recently bought a mesh rta after 3 attempts to wick I finely got it right yesterday I tell you guys I’m enjoying how fast it fires and the flavor, the only thing is i can’t go above 68watts otherwise I will get burned hits if I chain vape

6 Likes

Yeah, I still favor the original Profile RDA over even the newer 1.5 and RDTA versions that have come after it. Maybe it is just familiarity, I can build them in my sleep but flavor seems to be a touch better as well.

The Vandy Vape Kylin M is still my go to mesh RTA, love it. The new Steamcrave Titan dual series mesh is just damn good. I vape that everyday, well almost everyday when I am home, that huge tank never goes on the road with me. I would skip the Steamcrave plus v2 mesh deck, one of the biggest PITA to wick properly and even when you do the wick doesn’t last as long as rhe Kylin M or Profile RDA/RTA.

@natbone yeah, with the VV SS200 it can be tricky due to how flimsy it is but dammit, the flavor is just so good with that mesh. I like to use a flat head screwdriver to push down the wick as I feed it through. Never though about rayon inside of cotton, gonna need to try that out.

9 Likes

I’m not a fan of mesh. I don’t get the same warm dense vapor that I get with a nice multicore fused clapton. I can get close if I increase the power 20-30% but that puts a serious strain on battery life. I use 3 to 4 cores at 28 to 30 gauge with a 38 to 40 gauge wrap. I run mostly single coil direct lung RTA’s at 0.4 to 0.5 ohms between 35 and 45 watts.

8 Likes

Those Smok Baby Beast mesh sub-ohm coils will do 70+ watts, but you don’t NEED to go that high with the RTA’s/RDA’s, IMHO. I don’t go much higher than 55-60 watts on the Profiles and for me it chucks plenty. I’ll fog up my mixing room with 2-3 hits.

Agreed. I don’t have the 1.5 but I got the RDTA in last week and man, I’m really liking it! And the Kylin M, which I totally forgot to mention, is right up there also!

3 Likes

That I get, it does tend to be a cooler vape unless your using a dual or triple coil subohm tank like the Freemax Mesh Pro. You can definitely get more of a ripper using coils over mesh.

@TorturedZen yeah, I like mesh for the ability to kick out flavor at lower watts. My single 21700 mods will generally have a mesh RTA on top of them, same goes for my single battery squonk mods.

5 Likes

@mjag

That’s the benefit of higher gauge multicore claptons. Lots of flavor and dense vapor at lower wattage with great battery life. I primarily vape single battery devices.

6 Likes

Nah, I get it, I just generally tend to get more from a mesh like the VV SS 200 than a multicore single clapton.

Mesh is definitely a user preference though, some love it, some not so much. Both are right, it is all about what works for you in the end.

5 Likes

Do you make your own coils? Bought that Daedalus jig and I wasted a metric fuck-ton of wire trying to make some decent multi-core staggered claptons. I’ve never gotten past anything more than dual core fused claptons. I still make an effort occasionally but the little mesh strips are way less of a hassle.

4 Likes