Wonder Flavors (WF) Part II Single Flavor Tests by SessionDrummer -- Mixing NOW!

I figured the only way I’m going to start is to actually do it! I saw on Swaggy’s site when I gave a review on the new Custard and a woman reviewed below after I did and she said she enjoyed my reviews and that I knew my flavors and was happy I reviewed the custard. I thought that was pretty cool :sunglasses: giving back to the community, Knowing I helped someone. I love paying it forward.

5 Likes

Dont think that your reviews arent valued, they certainly are and thank you for taking the time to do so.

6 Likes

I appreciate that! Thank you for saying so. I’m happy it even helped one person. :grinning:

5 Likes

Review them …I love to read peoples opinions. I never have time to do sft anymore , so i mix them in a recipe that i know to see what the flavors does . Or ill mix with a cream and a biscuit just to see . I do appreciate multiple opinions and for newer mixers it helps

7 Likes

Blueberry Muffin (WF) 3.5% 4-15-22 – Would this be a FLV Blueberry Muffin killer ?? Ummm, no, but nice try. OK, this one wasn’t bad, but it was not stellar either. I went through two full testers, because I had issues trying to figure out what exactly it was trying to be. There was a nice blueberry-ish note, with some sweet, and tart-ed-ness, and there was an underlying bakery-ish note, but it seemed to lack focus, and cohesion. Blurry, was a thought that kept popping up as I was testing it. Neither the bakery nor the Blueberry really came into focus, and combined, that didn’t improve. It was not a terrible flavor, and it could surely be used to base up, or start a BB Muffin, but sadly, I can’t see it getting the job done solo’d. Not overpowering and solid at 3.5%, and the tarty punch of the BB was one of my favorite aspects of it. (Repeating), it just really lacked focus in both of the two main elements. Not every one is a winner, but that makes the ones that are, stand out even better. As a base(r), this felt fairly placed at a 5/10.

10 Likes

Taffy (Peanut Butter) (WF) 3.5% (4-15-22) – I was originally a little SCARED of this one, as PB in Taffy ??? !!! BUT, I do it for YOU GUYS, and @Lynda_Marie. :slight_smile: OK, even though I hard feared loading this into the tank, when I smelled it, most of my fears were alleviated, BUT, as they say, it isn’t over, until it’s over. What in the HELL is a Taffy-ed Peanut Butter ? Well, it was actually quite good. Having had many bad PB’s before, that added to my initial distrust, but this PB was nice, rich, and creamy, and my fears quickly abated. It was “kinda” like CAP’s PB, in that it was sweeter, and creamier, BUT, tempered with taffy-like candy, that had some almost toffee notes to it. NOT a toffee, but with toffee NOTES in it. The ratio was close to 60% taffy, and 40% PB. The very end of the finish almost had a hint of a brule or burnt sugar to it, and it gave it a nice KICK at the end. Now the taffy part was a little harder to quantify. If WF had simply added creams or sweeteners, this would have been a “sweet PB”, or a “creamy PB” but there was SOMETHING, that did really convey a taffy-ness to this one. When paired with the fairly natural PB, it was actually a rather NEAT combination. It was a few ticks above mid level sweet, but not in an overpowering way. Nothing off-putting or out of place at this percentage, and the only “twanger” was the slight burnt sugar /brule note, but I think it actually added to the overall flavor. I can safely say, I have NO flavors like this on my racks, and that’s hard to do. All in, it was indeed a convincing Taffy PB / PB Taffy, and it actually did it VERY well. If you’ve got room, you probably don’t have one like this either. Plus plussed at 9.5/10.

12 Likes

Hmm, I never thought burnt sugar at the end. . Interesting. I only tasted at 1.5%. Maybe I’ll bump it up a little. I want to mix another PB with it, or some custard or cookie. I really can’t figure out what to do with this Taffy (PB):thinking: I’m hoping that burnt sugar or peanut skin can get hidden in a mix!

6 Likes

@Lynda_Marie I didn’t get a peanut skin, but I can see how you’d think that. It was a very interesting flavor, and unique. Because of that, I see not knowing what to pair with it. The obvious would be a strong(er) peanut butter, to see how it would flush out the PB in there. If used low(er) I could see using it to round out many a bakery, and you mentioned custards and cookies, and that sounds great. What I can’t tell from SFT, would be how or IF, it would work in a PB Cookie recipe. Might, or might NOT, depending. Hence the limitations of SFT.

:slight_smile:

Great review up on BCF BTW.

6 Likes

I’m finishing up the last tank now, and thinking about maybe some FA Cookie, and TPA Vanilla Custard II maybe.

5 Likes

Interesting, that PB Taffy might work in the Amish PB that ive been working on.

4 Likes

Damned Amish, they’re taking everything over !!!

4 Likes

Kiwi (Yellow) (WF) 3.5% (4-15-22) – This one was going to be difficult as despite regularly gorging on green kiwis I have never had a Golden/Yellow Kiwi, so I cannot speak to it’s authenticity. I’ve heard comparisons of the Yellow Kiwi to a cross between a Strawberry and a Guava, and that MIGHT put you in the ballpark with this one, but only barely. Kind of a non-descript almost tropical fruit, without much tartness, and with a musky undertone. This one was a hard one to review, as I LOVE green Kiwis, especially their bright tartness, and this one just didn’t have any, and that is allegedly correct. Just below mid-level sweet and nothing off-putting, BUT, for the slightly musky undertone. I wouldn’t call it off-putting, but it is/was there. It was very full tat this weight, and it didn’t feel overpowered, and continued testing revealed an almost citrus oil-like finish. Not bitter, and didn’t detract from the flavor, but again, it was there. It swirled around, staying fairly obscured, but at times I almost got a grapefruit/peach profile. Hard to nail down, and never having the real Yellow Kiwi, that’s about as close as I can get for you. Not sure if this flavor was in my wheelhouse or not, but that’s not the point of these reviews. I could see this being used in many fruit and tropical mixes, but not sure if it could take the lead or not. Felt pretty solid at 7.4/10.

11 Likes

Thanks for the review as it’s cemented my thoughts on what I’ve read from others.
I have a few peanut butter concentrates but find most of them a bit heavy in the peanut and not enough butter. This one could be a bit creamier which is what I’m hoping for.

I’ve just ordered it anyway so I’ll find out soon enough.

8 Likes

You’re welcome @Gazza7.

4 Likes

Milk (Condensed) (WF) 3.5% (4-16-22) – Ahhhh Milks and Cream, the BANE of my SFT existence. Why ?? They can be really hard to test many times, and others, can be hard to fully flush out solo, as sometimes their effect is really only fully realized in mixes. With THAT said, I’ve been a long time PUR CM user, and although it is close, I am always on the prowl for the SUPER CM. IS this the one ?? Read on. This one was an interesting one, and to my tastes, it didn’t immediately convey CM (Condensed Milk), BUT, it was full of dairy, had a somewhat creamy mouthfeel, and was solidly in the “Dairy” camp. I never picked up on a pure cream, but dairy/milk, and sometimes any almost powdered milk peeked out. There was a slight acrid finish to it, and was in no way a deal breaker, but be advised I did pick it up. Curiously throughout both testers I kept picking up on a light, very light coconut element, but, it was in NO way a Coco Milk, just a light afternote. I think the closest I can compare to would be a nice, semi-creamy dairy, with hints of powdered milk, and a very light kiss of coconut. To rate the creaminess/mouthfeel, I’d put that at about a 6.5/10, and it’s effects on a mix are outside the scope of this review. It was about mid-level sweet, and except for the very slight acrid tip of the finish, nothing off-putting could be found. Despite the fact that it didn’t entirely nail a CM, it was very good, and I can see it being used a lot, either with, or possibly subbing TPA Dairy Milk, FA Cream Fresh, etc. Not the creamy-est, nor the richest mouthfeel, but still a great Dairy contender. It was unique enough, and unlike most other dairies that I have racked, that may end up making a space for it on your racks. Finalizing this one @ 7/10.

13 Likes

Bubble Gum (Fruity) (WF) 3.5% (4-18-22) – I think it’s safe to say that I’ve typically not used a lot of Bubble Gums, and that always makes for an interesting test, when I get one. This one presented perfectly as TWO things. About 75% Juicy Fruit, and 25% Pink Bubblegum. Despite thinking (at first) that it was JUST a Juicy Fruit, I just kept getting little bits and pieces of a really good pink BBG. Now, I don’t know if that was by design or not, but it actually would allow for MORE uses for this one, which was, I think, a pretty smart move. At 3.5% it was nicely full, just above mid-level sweet, and was just as artificial tasting as you’d expect from a bubblegum or juicy fruit. I think that a typical BBG has Pineapple, Wintergreen, Banana, and Cinnamon, but I can’t say what’s in Juicy Fruit. One note that kept peeking through was the almost powdered sugar dusting that you find on many gums. Not all Juicy Fruit, not all Bubblegum, but a pairing of the two, and a nice one at that. Kind of hard to nit pick this one, and if you’re in the market for Juicy Fruit with some Bubblegum, this one should do it for you. Easily a 9.5/10.

13 Likes

Deep Fried Sugared Taro (WF) 3.5% (4-23-22) – Having never eaten a Taro, and unable to directly compare this to it, this proved to be an interesting flavor. My FIRST thoughts were a Sweet Potato, with earthy elements, a little funk, and a sugary pop. Now, the “funk” hehe, what WAS that ? Great question, and maybe if I’d eaten one I could better compare/contrast. It felt mixed in with the earthy element, and COULD have been true to an actual Taro. It wasn’t off-putting, but it WAS there, so be advised. Now the Sweet Potato is/was merely an approximation, as it wasn’t a spot on one, but pretty IN the ballpark. I didn’t really get much overt “fried” from it, but perhaps that was the funk/earthy-ness, but it was hard to say. The sweet poppy finish, had an almost tart-ness to it, and it is hard to directly convey, other than to say it WAS there, at the finish, and it kept this one interesting. Now, when was the last time I mixed up a Sweet Potato-ish recipe ?? Hehe, probably been forever, BUT, because this flavor was very unique (at least on my flavor racks), I could see it filling a large void. At 3.5% it was full, and plenty strong, with the only off-putting note(s) being the slightly funky earthy tones, and whether or not that’s off-putting will be up to you guys. I didn’t find it offensive, and as a cohesive whole, the flavor really worked. If you were in need of a Sweet Potato-ish flavor, with nice earthy tones, and an almost tart, sweet finish, this one WILL work for you. All in, even though this type of flavor was not in my typical wheelhouse, it was hard to fault it, and it felt good @ 9/10.

10 Likes

I’ve never eaten straight Taro but I’ve eaten at a couple Chinese restaurants (authentic where I’m the only one not Chinese and there’s no english menu) where the free dessert after the meal was a sweetened red bean and taro dessert, served cold. The taro was cubed very small and had a delicious crunch. I do have FA Red Bean, and even at .1% was plenty strong. I’ll have to pick up the Taro with my next order. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

@big_vape I’d be curious to hear what you think, as you have actually eaten some. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Pretty sure @SquirrelSmash must’ve had taro :+1:

3 Likes