A journey down the rabbit hole of mixing e-liquid.šŸ°

Same stuff from NR but I noticed this with another brand also. Donā€™t remember what it was. I always shake my vg before pouring into a smaller container. So now I am a hybrid weight/volume mixer. It was enough that specific gravity was way off. But even if it wasnā€™t I would still homogenize my VG/pg base separately. Iā€™m usually 70/30 but max vg is thinner/smoother afterwards.

2 Likes

I put that mixer you posted in my cart!! Very interested in magnetic after this thread and others i have read. Thanks!!!

1 Like

Iā€™ve got one of those, I canā€™t recommend it, it just doesnā€™t have the power to mix vg, and struggles with anything bigger than 30 ml. I would look on eBay for used professional stuff, the ones I got where less than 10.00 each shipped and work way better than that China mixer.

3 Likes

Oh dang. I need something for 500ml. I mix big ones for my household to lessen my table time haha

2 Likes

I will see what I can find on eBay thatā€™s a good deal, thing is I buy them broken and fix them, usually just need cleaned and oiled.

I ended up gettin* this one

So far Iā€™m happy with it.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Vintage-Fisher-Scientific-14-511-1v2-Magnetic-Stirrer-Tested-Working/1507970954?_trksid=p2349624.m4096.l9055

This is a good price with shipping, maybe @mrpipes can chime in.

1 Like

Yeah that looks decent. Iā€™m not familiar with that particular model but its certain that it is USA made. A lot of the Asian stuff use computer fan motors that donā€™t compare to these old ones. I would offer him $20 and bet that he would take it. The old ones are far better quality and can be had at great pricesā€¦

2 Likes

I just watched ā€œChef vs Scienceā€ recently on Netflix, and (I could be wrong, but I think the scientist on there said the opposite) they made a tomato soup in a seriously unorthodox way.

Itā€™s been a couple weeks since I saw it, and Iā€™m not even 70% sure that he froze it with LNā€¦ Though I know that was used too at one point. I do recall he ran the tomatoes through a centrifuge too though, to separate the solids from the liquid tomato essence.

Worth a watch: https://www.netflix.com/title/80212222

(Apologies if I remembered wrong, and this is a derail. But never in a million years could I have guessed Iā€™d be discussing that show later, much less in such a short time frame. :laughing: )

1 Like

I completely agree with you, and Iā€™m extremely tempted to move it myselfā€¦for the time being, Iā€™ll defer to someone else to handle that though. :wink:

3 Likes

He used the LN to make the steak. I watched it about a month ago, what he did with the tomatoes was a lot of work.

1 Like

I agree. Iā€™ve had a lot of concerns about this being under beginners when the subject is anything but that. I donā€™t want any beginner to get the impression that they need a multi thousand dollar piece of equipment to make good ejuice. However, I do think they need to understand the underlying principles. I plan to post separately, but am going to make sure that I present it all correctly. I need time and am doing control testing.

5 Likes

Is there an ā€œadvancedā€ mixing area? Can we make one?

1 Like

Itā€™s just an idea, more so to let people know they donā€™t need a whole lot of gadgets to make good juice, but some of them save time and ease the process.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a great question for @daath I do believe! :wink:

Perhaps ā€œAdvanced Tips and Techniquesā€?
(just an off the cuff idea nameā€¦ Whatever you think boss!)

2 Likes

Technically if your thinking about buying your first homogenizer this would be a good beginner thread to read.

I would contend that:

Then youā€™re way beyond basic mixing principles.

(And have at least a fair modicum of experience under your belt.)

You donā€™t hand someone out of driverā€™s ed the keys to a Bugatti Veyron.

2 Likes

my brand is from a company called everything liquid I get my VG, PG AND Nicotine from them.

1 Like

Maybe this is the solution to my problem ā€¦
I have noticed that when I open a bottle of 50mls juice, when I get to the middle, the juice does not have the same initial taste. Which led me to buy a magnetic stirrer (without heating) ā€¦ even so, I still have no improvement in the result.
I think the problem is in the homogenization of the liquid ā€¦
Will buying a 70VG / 30PG base improve the juices instead of PG and VG separate?

Edit: And yes, I always shake my juice before filling my RTA!

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t say that. I do remember looking at homogenizers and mag mixers back when I started. From lab supply stores $$$ kinda turned me away at the timeā€¦ until I can either save up for them or find them cheaper those ideas were placed on the back burnerā€¦almost 1 yr later I bought a cheap heated mag mixer for Christmasā€¦ probably will get one with a temp probe later or if an insurance job comes thru I may get a homogenizer

So Iā€™d based of my experience depending on your financial situation the DIY starts with different mixing tools

The James Bond Method (shaken not stirred)

Egg beater

Mag mixer

Various kitchen blender

Paint can shaker

Homogenizer

Etcā€¦