A PUBLIC and Civil Discussion on the Rules

Is the rare case of abuse a fair trade off for what would be a constant strain on the mods over a relatively minor issue? It’s up to Lars and the mods how to handle this.

3 Likes

An example was provided earlier. I didn’t see how the change done by the other member was an improvement - it just was his wording preference. In that regard, another member’s personal preference is being forced on another. Why? Who elected anyone else to be the grammar police, or syntax police, or I know better than you police? But the fact is, this privilege has been abused.

Why? Why is it important for one member to be allowed to change another member’s words? If it was simple as @VapeyMama states, adding [REQ] or something similar, that’s one thing. But to reword someone else’s title. Why stop there? Why not let people edit other member’s posts? To me there’s zero difference. Like I said, I’ve had people do this. I quietly changed it back to my own wording. Never again. I’ll raise a stank, you can bet on that.

5 Likes

@oldvaporuser @50YearsOfCigars I disagree, it’s done very rarely and if trusted members can’t be trusted then remove that trust level. It’s a piddly task - the mods have enough on their hands imho.

I’ve done it three times that I can recall, none in a malicious manner.

6 Likes

Geez, I guess I dont get on enough as I have not been displeased with how the forum has been operating since I joined. Good points in here and trademark ELR civility. Good job all.

The one and only thing that completely pisses me off in fora are edits by mods (others can change my thread titles here!?) that do not include verbiage like “edited by moderator for…” that is BS because I feel like in such cases someone else is attempting to hijack my voice. I leave those places and never go back.

My vote is to be respectful to all and communicate a grievance with anyone that offends you, directly. You are an adult, handle your own fuggin business. If you are offended…YOU are offended. Dont hide behind “the kids”, saving non-merkins, or any other lame excuse. Its fine to tell someone they have offended you imo. Otherwise, how would the offender know? People are all different, so it needs to be communicated. Im not calling any one out, this is my view of the world.

As for the image we project to noobs, if we all continue to respect each other, I dont see that being an issue, but it’s not my site and therefore not my call. Lars has considerations of which I am 100.0% ignorant.

In all my time here Ive never found these norms to be burdensome, and at least from my perspective, I didnt think it needed to be said to the great people that visit here (that’s y’all). I also love that the mods have not acted as infallible Gods, and Id like that norm to stay as is. I reckon “answering” @JoJo’s “plea” for agreed-upon guidelines/enforcement is the best way to prevent devolvement into a much worse, more authoratarian, state than having a few enforced rules.

My hastily written, likely to be edited later, thoughts. Much love.

14 Likes

RESPECT
It all comes down to respect for one another.
Amongst my male peers I can be as lewd as the next guy, in mixed company totally different guy.
For me there is a time and place for particular humour and in a mixed forum I tend to err on the side of caution and decency.

7 Likes

Honestly I don’t see the need for members to have the ability to edit other members posts…

and before anyone says it’s just the title. The title is still part of the original post… you can’t post a new topic without a title… so it’s part of the original post.

This should be be a staff only ability - admins, moderators, and possibly mentors and wizards.

1 Like

And if it’s so rare, why are others here saying it’s allowed under the pretense of taking the burden off moderators? It’s just been 2 mods for the past year or so, and now there are what…4-5 more? Let the editing of member’s words…however innocuous they may be…be the responsibility of moderator staff only and not to just anyone who can use their own personal views as a way of changing another’s wording. It may seems a silly argument to you, but to me I think it’s egregious.

6 Likes

Whatever…

3 Likes

It doesn’t irk me either way tbh. Happy to do it if it’s helpful, happy to not have the ability and let the mods do it.

But then why have trusted members? Or pink flying pigeon badge holders? Let’s all just be members with mods moderating :tada:

/opens can of worms and backs away quietly/

13 Likes

It’s a trade off between the rare case of offending someone and the constant head ache of finding a mod, pestering a mod, making them stop what they’re doing to come make such a minor adjustment.

4 Likes

Another Example:

Added the Acronym :+1: :wink:

1 Like

I don’t mind the worms. :slight_smile: Open discussion is important.

Here we go, maybe this will make my point more clear to you. Right now when I check on Latest threads, I can see several with punctuation errors, capitalization where there shouldn’t be, and just all sorts of things I could change to make the titles “better.” So what I’m hearing is I should be allowed to go in and change those? And if I did, do you think anyone would mind? I mean really, some of these have run on sentences and comma splices which just irk the hell out of me.

1 Like

Whatever…

I understand and appreciate your point. Personally, if editing a title to correct the form or to assist with grammar (especially for a member with English as a second language) helps make a search of topics better and produce more results then I am ok with it.

3 Likes

Readability is very important, if you can add / improve something and have been trusted to do so, I say go for it. :sunglasses:

But what if I liked it better without the acronym

Or I think it looks better like

You know you’re a vaper when ________ .

Should I change it just because I think it looks better…

Would that be imposing my will on the original posters thought

1 Like

That’s why I proposed cutting it off in the first place. The fact that it was pushed back on and that it is at LEAST restricted to members of a certain level is why I backed off. But I do actually agree with you man. I do actually think meting out staff responsibilities is wrong. I just relented because of the punt-back.

1 Like

Ok, then why can’t I go into YOUR posts and edit the content? I think I can add / improve some of your posts. Why is the author’s thread title not given the same respect as message body? So far the answers have all been very insufficient. And I submit that your “edits” in many cases are not warranted, and merely reflect your personal tastes.

2 Likes

You are assuming that you understand intent (I feel like your intentions are good, dont get me wrong) I use non-words, bad grammar and punctuation the way I want to…if others dont like it or feel its incorrect, I’d hope they’d ask me rather than assume their interpretation is what I was going for.

Ended with a preposition and not, not, not fixed to make a point. My words, spelling, punctuation, and grammar are mine.

3 Likes

Oh no, I only want the ability to edit your posts like you edit other peoples titles. It would be great fun!

I hope the mod staff is reading this crap. Because others may be happy sweeping it under the carpet as a nothing burger, but to me it’s extremely serious. There’s the talk of our posts being a permanent part of the internet, yet the author doesn’t even need to grant permission or even be communicated with before someone chooses to change their words. BS with the emphasis on S.

3 Likes