A PUBLIC and Civil Discussion on the Rules

Honestly I donā€™t see the need for members to have the ability to edit other members postsā€¦

and before anyone says itā€™s just the title. The title is still part of the original postā€¦ you canā€™t post a new topic without a titleā€¦ so itā€™s part of the original post.

This should be be a staff only ability - admins, moderators, and possibly mentors and wizards.

1 Like

And if itā€™s so rare, why are others here saying itā€™s allowed under the pretense of taking the burden off moderators? Itā€™s just been 2 mods for the past year or so, and now there are whatā€¦4-5 more? Let the editing of memberā€™s wordsā€¦however innocuous they may beā€¦be the responsibility of moderator staff only and not to just anyone who can use their own personal views as a way of changing anotherā€™s wording. It may seems a silly argument to you, but to me I think itā€™s egregious.

6 Likes

Whateverā€¦

3 Likes

It doesnā€™t irk me either way tbh. Happy to do it if itā€™s helpful, happy to not have the ability and let the mods do it.

But then why have trusted members? Or pink flying pigeon badge holders? Letā€™s all just be members with mods moderating :tada:

/opens can of worms and backs away quietly/

13 Likes

Itā€™s a trade off between the rare case of offending someone and the constant head ache of finding a mod, pestering a mod, making them stop what theyā€™re doing to come make such a minor adjustment.

4 Likes

Another Example:

Added the Acronym :+1: :wink:

1 Like

I donā€™t mind the worms. :slight_smile: Open discussion is important.

Here we go, maybe this will make my point more clear to you. Right now when I check on Latest threads, I can see several with punctuation errors, capitalization where there shouldnā€™t be, and just all sorts of things I could change to make the titles ā€œbetter.ā€ So what Iā€™m hearing is I should be allowed to go in and change those? And if I did, do you think anyone would mind? I mean really, some of these have run on sentences and comma splices which just irk the hell out of me.

1 Like

Whateverā€¦

I understand and appreciate your point. Personally, if editing a title to correct the form or to assist with grammar (especially for a member with English as a second language) helps make a search of topics better and produce more results then I am ok with it.

3 Likes

Readability is very important, if you can add / improve something and have been trusted to do so, I say go for it. :sunglasses:

But what if I liked it better without the acronym

Or I think it looks better like

You know youā€™re a vaper when ________ .

Should I change it just because I think it looks betterā€¦

Would that be imposing my will on the original posters thought

1 Like

Thatā€™s why I proposed cutting it off in the first place. The fact that it was pushed back on and that it is at LEAST restricted to members of a certain level is why I backed off. But I do actually agree with you man. I do actually think meting out staff responsibilities is wrong. I just relented because of the punt-back.

1 Like

Ok, then why canā€™t I go into YOUR posts and edit the content? I think I can add / improve some of your posts. Why is the authorā€™s thread title not given the same respect as message body? So far the answers have all been very insufficient. And I submit that your ā€œeditsā€ in many cases are not warranted, and merely reflect your personal tastes.

2 Likes

You are assuming that you understand intent (I feel like your intentions are good, dont get me wrong) I use non-words, bad grammar and punctuation the way I want toā€¦if others dont like it or feel its incorrect, Iā€™d hope theyā€™d ask me rather than assume their interpretation is what I was going for.

Ended with a preposition and not, not, not fixed to make a point. My words, spelling, punctuation, and grammar are mine.

3 Likes

Oh no, I only want the ability to edit your posts like you edit other peoples titles. It would be great fun!

I hope the mod staff is reading this crap. Because others may be happy sweeping it under the carpet as a nothing burger, but to me itā€™s extremely serious. Thereā€™s the talk of our posts being a permanent part of the internet, yet the author doesnā€™t even need to grant permission or even be communicated with before someone chooses to change their words. BS with the emphasis on S.

3 Likes

@Grubby you didnā€™t answer my questions.

So @grubby should I change the title because in my opinion it looks better ?

1 Like

You hit the nail on the head. Only the staff should have the ability to change or delete a post. Using the excuse your helping the staff by cutting down on what should be their job is crap. @SthrnMixer is right and should consider this extremely serious.

4 Likes

Sarcastically put, but fundamentally correct.

1 Like

Simple google search
Capture

1 Like