Be polite and introduce yourself! (Feb. 2015 to Feb. 2017)

Hi all… First off I hate intros (makes me feel so newbeish (even if I am) lol). I’m an older person and could most likely be ya’lls grandfather :stuck_out_tongue:
I smoked for 20 some years and quit around 1996 or 97 using the patch, but always like to smoke when I did. About 4 or 5 years ago I guess, I seen an ecig somewhere and picked one up (like I said, I liked to smoke, just hated the smell on my clothing or rooms after my sense of smell returned). I went through a few of the first commercial box mods for newbies, then used the ego for a couple years and it’s variations, then a zmax, which finally started to bite the dust a few months ago. I’m currently using an iStick 50 and subtank mini or a Nautilus. I had bought a subtank (Kanger) thinking it was what I wanted a couple months back, with the low ohm coils everything tasted too hot (I don’t sub-ohm) so gave it to my step daughter who also vapes. Then after really thinking about it while I was on a trip for work last month went and got the subtank mini, got some wick and wire from a local shop and attempted to make a basic coil (28g 11-12 wrap at 2.0 diameter) which hit right at about 1.8 ohm… first attempt and worked great for what I liked, built a couple more coils over the last couple weeks. So, I’m getting into basic builds and the ohms that appeal to me.
I attempted to play with recipes a few years ago, but as many newbies go, gave up from either lack of knowledge or frustration.
I’m not a cloud chaser, and while I dripped a little when I was first starting, I quickly went to carts (which never last too long and would die in a week) and like tanks, times have changed a lot over the years, and thanks to sites like this I’m going back to attempts for some cheaper juice, it’s not that I don’t mind paying for something, but I dislike paying for something I could possibly do better or with a markup that seems to be outrageous. I like my ohms around 1.8-2.0 and if I took my wife’s and brothers advice a few years ago, I’d have a B&M right now, when there wasn’t a shop on almost every corner (in my town, we currently have a good 20 or so shops). I’m actually still debating the idea of leaving my current job or starting part time in one of the shops if possible to learn more about the newer gear and get up to speed on the business end. My current employer has had me traveling a lot over this last year and it has had both myself and wife looking for a different career path for me.
Anyway, if you can’t tell I can get long winded, but that’s me in a nut shell.

13 Likes

Welcome to the forum. There are plenty here that like your style of vaping and more than willing share their knowledge with you. Just stick around and ask whatever you need to know. They will have you up and running in no time.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum !! And if you need to know about making coils this guy @NewDrip can shown you almost anything you need to know ! And there are some great juicers hear as well so ask away .

2 Likes

Welcome!! Careful, it’s addicting. :wink:

5 Likes

Welcome! If you’re really interested in opening a shop, I’m sure @ringling could give you a few tips and some good advice. He’s our resident shopkeeper. :smile: Make yourself at home and let us know if you need anything. Some of us have been doing this longer than others, but I think everyone has something great to offer and you won’t find a nicer bunch of people.

6 Likes

Welcome! For someone who doesn’t like introductions you made a good job of it :wink:
As for the long-windedness, I’ve seen complaints that people do not elaborate enough describing their recipes so no problem there. I’m not really into sub-ohm either and prefer flavour over clouds. This is a very nice place to learn a lot about various things and there is a lot of difference between people but never any bashing going on.

4 Likes

Welcome and Jojo is right, it is addicting!

2 Likes

You really can have both. A lot of people think it’s one or the other… but I’ve been enjoying the best of both worlds for a while now. It’s all in the wire and the build.

3 Likes

So in the first post that I made here back in May I mention I have been smoking 2 to 3 packs a day for almost 35 years. Since then I have slowly been cutting back on the analogs and today I am proud to say that this weekend I have had ZERO smokes!

I just want to thank you all for the great posts and help and DIY recipes that have helped me to quit.

Thank You!

Shane

13 Likes

WTG @SHANER. I’m glad you made the transition. Soon you won’t miss them at all. Congrats!

3 Likes

My name is John. I was a 2 packer a day for 36 years. My wife and I are smoke free since May 15th of this year. I am still astonished. In 6 weeks time we have leaped from knowing nothing about ecigs to sub ohming and mixing our own juice. So much of what we have learned has come from this very place. The people here are incredible. Thank all of you so very very much for reaching out your hands and touching our hearts. We plan on hanging around for a very long time and to one day pass our knowledge forward.

9 Likes

Vaping is the Tobacco replacement therapy known to mankind. I’m glad to hear you both kicked the stinkies. VAPE ON AND PASS IT ALONG!

3 Likes

Awesome! Keep on truckin’ brother.

2 Likes

Haven’t checked this post recently and I see a lot of new folks. Welcome to you all. I’m sure you’ll feel comfortable here and learn quite a bit from everyone.
BTW, any of you have good vudgeting skills? We are in dire need of a good teacher.

3 Likes

Congratulations on quitting and welcome.

2 Likes

Lol. Vudgering skills? This vaping is vaddictive. Gotta get my fix…after fix after vix

1 Like

Hello everyone. My name’s Andy, and I’m an addict… Addicted to my SubTank Mini after quitting smoking and vaping on an iStick 30w with an Aspire Nautilus for a few months. On a whim, I tried out a SubTank Mini at my local B&M and was instantly hooked, shelled out for an iStick 50w and have been guzzling e-liquid at an alarming rate ever since :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. My wife loves the flavor of the STM compared to her Nautilus, but won’t take the plunge because the two of us combined would easily go through 120ml of e-liquid per week… I now have to pace myself in order to make my $35 60ml bottle last all week. B&M prices would knock us back about $70 per week at that rate. I’ve dabbled, piddled and tried (unsuccessfully) with DIY to recreate some of the juices we like, but after finding this site, I’m encouraged at the library of recipes. There MUST be some that my wife and I would both enjoy, at a FRACTION of the cost of B&M prices. Here’s to the journey… :thumbsup:

10 Likes

Yes, you will find many you would like better. With a little practice, you will even create flavors you will like better. Best advice I can give you is read up on threads such as Flavors to Avoid, Where to buy flavoring, Flavor Pairing, Top flavors by Vendor, just to name a few. Then maybe threads like What’s the best DIY-recipe you’ve tried? Then start buying flavors. Believe me it is easy to buy flavors that best be left for the garbage man. The more you know before you start buying the better. Another thing, do not be afraid to ask questions here on ELR. There are many very helpful people here that know a whole lot about most subjects on blending, equipment, etc. Good to have you aboard and Happy Blending…

4 Likes

Good thing that’s still free…

That, however, is NOT…

I have bought a couple of fruit flavors to start with, figuring a simple single flavor recipe would be an appropriate place to start… After all, Maverick didn’t get to be Top Gun without going through flight training first…

3 Likes

Agreed, it is best to start with a few single flavor blends until you are used to the basics of blending. Once you learn the basics you can get a little more bold. You have the right idea…

2 Likes