Coffee Vape From Beans

@JoJo as usual was correct. @therabidweasel method of extracting the vanilla is in his notes under this recipe.
His notes:
take an old 15ml juice bottle, cut a length of vanilla bean to fit, split it into quarters 90% down the length so it stays in one piece, fill the bottle with PG. Let steep as long as possible, shake nightly and will be ready in about 6 weeks when the color gets dark. Itā€™s not very strong, but it does the job.

Uncle Junks John Wayne Clone

Ingredient %
Butterscotch (TPA) 1.5
Coconut (TPA) 0.5
DX Hazelnut (TPA) 0.25
English Toffee (TPA) 0.5
Homemade Papua Vanilla 3
Kentucky Bourbon (TPA) 2
RY4 Double (TPA) 1.5
Salted Caramel (FW) 1.5
Smooth (TPA) 5
Toasted Almond (TPA) 0.25

Flavor total: 16%

Remember to rate it at e-liquid-recipes.com!
4 Likes

awesome thank you!

1 Like

6 weeksā€¦ugh.

1 Like

I used straight up Mawell houseā€¦ as I was just testing to see how well it workedā€¦ I would go with a strong beanā€¦ fresh groundā€¦ my recipe turned out okā€¦ just a little weak on the coffee

2 Likes

Hawaiian Gold from Fryā€™s ( Kroger )

1 Like

My Kona bean extract is just about a month old now. :grinning: Soon and very soonā€¦to the lab!

2 Likes

Be thankful youā€™re not a tobacco type. :scream: Weā€™re constantly waiting a month or two for mixes to steep to perfection. Weā€™re a patient bunch. :tired_face:

3 Likes

My coffee extract is fine, use as single flavor with vgā€™s sweetly is vapable. But it make my coil gunk very quick. Maybe itā€™s time to give up.

1 Like

Anybody have a centrifuge? Maybe put it in the freezer and see if thereā€™s an separation ā€¦wondering whats gunking? can it be removed and leave the coffee flavor?

1 Like

Ok I have two tests in the freezer (a week ago). I took two 15ml bottles and added 5ml of VaporBase to each. I then added another 5ml of PG to one. Next I lightly crunched some Peets Dark roasted beans and only added the larger chunks (so I can strain easier) ā€¦about 2 beans in the 5ml and about 3 beans in the 10ml (PDO+PG). They both got a quick visit to a hot USC bath and off to the freezer ā€¦the waiting begins. Thanks for all your test results! It helped me get a better foothold on how many beans to add

3 Likes

I know there are some coffee experts here. And I find it interesting to read Iā€™ve likely never had a cup of good coffee. So two questions.

First, how do I make a good cup of coffee? Donā€™t be afraid to go into detail :slight_smile:

Second, since heat is obviously pretty important in brewing coffee, wouldnā€™t heat of a substantial temperature be beneficial in extracting flavor from beans? Iā€™m talking 200F hot. Anyone?

Start with Good coffee ( I like 100% Kona ) and a Good machine
I have had a Krups Espresso model 963 machine like this one for over 20 years and it makes a good cup of coffee itā€™s just a shame that the newer ones are not made as well

2 Likes

I grind my kona coffee pretty fine though

https://youtu.be/2ezX9CgWOxw

But I start to steam when the coffee gets at the 2 cup mark

also get a good steaming milk cup like this one . I fill the milk to where it tapers

2 Likes

Iā€™m a Kona coffee hound myself @Rob62!

A six cup version of this Bialetti is my weapon of choice in the morning! Without it, I canā€™t face the day! :scream:

3 Likes

An aeropress, a good grinder, and a kettle. :smiley:

3 Likes

I love mine too! :heart_eyes:

@SthrnMixer ~ This is an excellent cup of coffee as well! And when your done, you can use it to filter your NET creations! Win! Win! :grinning:

5 Likes

Aeropress with an able stainless disk and the best grinder you can afford. I highly recommend the OE Lido 2, I travel with this setup and a LIDO 3ā€¦I have much better commercial grinders, but the OE hand grinders are great. Iā€™ll take a $20 brewer and $200 grinder any day of the week. Follow the aeropress directions at sweetmarias.com.

People donā€™t realize the difference a good grind makes. I can explain why, but wonā€™t hereā€¦my lido 3 is always out on loan unless I am traveling just to show people the difference. The grind is the key once you have good beans. How do you know you have good beans? Look at the bag; good coffee has a roast date. If the roast is over a month ago, do not buy. I roast, have daily for over a decadeā€¦Coffee is best within 2 weeks 4 if sealed in the refrigerator. Grind immediately before brewing.

6 Likes

buuump.

I posted some Vaporbase coffee extraction results in that thread but the overall knowledge gained was very interesting. PDO is a very good tool/solvent for extracting coffee, but more importantly was the results from cold and hot extraction. I had mentioned the results were weak but after further testing I can report the hot tap water extraction (USC @ hot tap water temp) did result in what could be called a concetrate.

Actually it was a bit too organic and a wick ruining mess. I have to believe there were oils to blame. There would have to be some lab technique applied like centrifuging and filtering to get a vapable product, and maybe a final freeze to separate/eliminate oils. It also was a flavor that dominated anything mixed with it, so I was not happy with my preliminary results with the heated extraction ā€¦although with care and equipment it could be made to work.

My refrigerated extraction was totally different. My description in the VaporBase thread was ā€œnose-in-bagā€ and the resulting liquid was relatively uncolored. The flavor was exciting and maybe not describable as a cup of brewed coffee ā€¦it was better. If you were trying to get something to mix with creams and hazelnut etc this would likely miss the mark ā€¦but on itā€™s own it was a treat. Unfortunately to move forward with my test (again VaporBase) I heated all my test subjects and it was gone.

I think I may make another 120 today and put it in the fridge for several weeks. Recommend just using your default diluent (70%VG/30%PG?) and maybe even add the nic (debating) I believe the low temp extraction captured only the top-note aromatics, and while it totally missed the body you would expect in a cup of coffee, what it did capture was amazing. Also I have to add I am pretty sure I was vaping some caffeine too, so be aware late night testing could disrupt your sleep :wink:

SO for today? I previously added like 3-4 beans lightly cracked for a 5 ml (original) test and it was likely saturated. It also had some particulate matter I would like to avoid ā€¦so no cracking beans. For a 120? that would be 24 X 3->4 I think I will add like 50 whole beans to a 120ml bottle of 70/30 VG->PG ā€¦no nic.

If you coarse ground coffee and extracted with the ability to centrifuge and filter you could probably do so with way less coffee beans. I will try and get any loose fluffy pieces off my beans so they donā€™t end up in my juice and 50 beans should be more than enough ā€¦talk to you around Halloween :wink:

Hey itā€™s been awhile ā€¦whatchu got in the closet?! I know I know if this turns out well why are we giving up the secret sauce? {{{ELR}}} heh are we spilling the beans?

4 Likes

I know this is old. Worth a good read though. @Kinnikinnick what were your final notes?

In shortā€¦ for me, the process was a dud.

In longā€¦ I didnā€™t take it upon myself a ā€œdo overā€, ā€˜cause this was about the time (Sept ā€˜16) I started moving towards using 100% NET with mixes. I moved away from anything which interfered with the tobacco flavor; totally divorced myself from synthetic flavor concentrates or extractions of any kind, other than tobaccoā€¦ Canā€™t say I regret my actions.

5 Likes