First Steam Crave Aromamizer Experience

@Lexie3
There might of been some confusion that I was being contradictory of the RDTA or hijacking with insult. I am highly interested in the merits of the Aromizer and your post rekindled my desire to renew attempts to get it working :grin: I apologise in any case.

3 Likes

Hey Im not confused at all. Besides we all have out opinions and they do not always match, so it would be ok regardless.
I just wanted to post my thoughts since so many helped me make decisions on tanks and thought they would like to know, that i love it
Canā€™t derail this thread, its just general info and all info is a help.

4 Likes

@craigtalley Hmmmm, going to have to check a few of mine out, as yours looks different than mine. All of yours have the same issue ?

2 Likes

People can love or hate them. I love them, hehe, and Iā€™d rather see if we can figure out what is going on with the ones you have, so we can make it like the ones we have !!!

3 Likes

@craigtalley VERY interesting, none of mine look like that, will take pics tomorrow. With that gasket like that, I COULD see juice wicking past that and weeping. Iā€™ll figure this out.

3 Likes

Go @Lexie3 Go !!!

4 Likes

https://www.elementvape.com/aromamizer-rdta-by-steam-crave-velocity-style

2 Likes

This looks normal from what I can see. I notice your insulator is white, my first run velocity decks are slightly tanish off white in color. It is really hard to tell in a pic, but the O ring above the floor of the deck looks as if it could be larger than mine so you may want to check for authenticity. You may also want to check if the O ring is in place that is INSIDE of the the chamber piece where your top cap threads in ( it is recessed ). I really suspect this is more of a wicking issue tho.

2 Likes

The 2 I opened both intermittently dumped a tank. Not everytime, but often enough. I should probably put those 2 in service and record the particulars around the leaking for diagnosis.

I love that deck however, itā€™s so easy to place a coil.

2 Likes

I have only had that happen when I did not make sure my glass was seated properly. (Yup this idiot has done that :sunglasses: ) Is the leak seemingly outside or from the airholes?

2 Likes

Pretty sure itā€™s the airholes right into my shirt pockets!

1 Like

So, my update (apologies again if Iā€™m stepping on @Lexie3 's post - but I believe weā€™re in the same boat here).

Followed the wicking instructions as posted in the video above. Used SS316L in 26ga - 9 wraps dual horizontal 3mm ID (.3 'ish ohms as read by my test bed and mod). Made sure I mounted them ā€œhighā€ this time - top of coils level with top of posts. Made for some very long leg wicks (Cotton Bacon). Seems to work fairly well. Really had to crank up my wattage to get good flavor/fluffies. (normally vape around 35-40 wattsā€¦which produced a weak vape. Moved up to 50-55 watts and am getting a respectable experience).

Gotta say, the biggest help was orientating the air holes with the coil. Really didnā€™t think it would make this much difference, but it really did.

Donā€™t know if this tank beats my Ammit, but itā€™s workable. Serious pluses include:
1 - Not a single leak - not even a hint of juice on my fingers yet - even prior to the above technique
2 - Good tank capacity
3 - Bottom fill (in the plus column?) - honestly, itā€™s no big deal - and with no leaking - Iā€™m all for it.
4 - Dual post velocity deck - allows for about every conceivable style of coils.
5 - Cheap - Paid $17 for it through Eciggitty

At least I have a workable tank now - Gotta say, prior to this post, I thought I would box and toss this tank - just couldnā€™t make it work (all my fault - being a new builder). Now, to play with vertical coils just to see (thanks @SessionDrummer )

5 Likes

@TerryL1
So glad you got it working. Never give up! Thereā€™s always someone here that is willing to help as you can see. I would be nowhere with this forum full of great people

3 Likes

@craigtalley Iā€™ve checked all of mine and none are like that.

2 Likes

My insulator is grey, and my outer ring isnā€™t that big. Iā€™m starting to think either a prototype version, or maybe counterfeit.

3 Likes

Obviously a color change in and of itself doesnā€™t mean anything, but mine has been in use for probably over 1.5 years, my outer o-ring is different. I checked all the ones in my stash which are the same, despite being purchased over a period of almost 2 years now.

3 Likes

@SessionDrummer @Lexie3 @xxanalogxx
I think I have it worked out. Instead of moving the wick tails left and right I pulled the ends along side the coil to measure them for the space needed under the coil and to insure they would butt end to end underneath. Itā€™s been 13 hours now without a drop of juice leaking. I used double fused claptons. 3mm .42 ohms just barely missing the chimney. Very nice but I will use a different type of coil as the clapton is underwhelming.
I sure appreciate your time and patience in diagnosing this common issue and add my approval of this great tank in keeping with Lexieā€™s OP.
Be well, Craig

1 Like

@craigtalley WTF !!! ???

OK, guess Iā€™m the idiot, I had no clue you had leaking past your wicks. I had focused on the leaking from the bottom. The Steam Craves are somewhat finicky on how much cotton is put on the deck, and in my experience, as the versions go up, they are less so. Leaving the v1 as the pickiest. I donā€™t know why but Iā€™ve always had the best luck with verticals. Tried horizontals for a bit, but went back to verts. MAYBE, in my case, only having to fluff and stuff ONE tail Iā€™ve avoided some issues other people might be having with dual tails (i.e. horizontals).

I noticed that fluffing the tails was required, and just covering the juice deck holes was all I needed. Any time I got heavier than that, approaching packing the deck, I would get dry hits. Iā€™ve never gone too light on cotton, so Iā€™ve never had any leaking out of the air flow holes (knock wood).

2 Likes

@craigtalley I went back and forth between claps and simple single wire, and I always seemed to go RIGHT back to a super simple, single wire 24 ga., 7 wrap, 3mm ID. Best/worse ? Who knows, but itā€™s been good enough that Iā€™ve not changed from it (on the v1).

3 Likes

This thread reminded me. I have this sticker on my laptop, have had it there for a couple years. So long that I forget itā€™s there, even though itā€™s right in my face. I guess I do like Steam Crave, but still not nearly as rabid as some of you.

4 Likes