Fur babies!

No pet can be replaced but I feel it helps and there is always another pet in need of love.My sister works for the local veterinarian and is always trying to assist people find homes for pets they longer can keep for varying reasons.
Here is my latest pet thanks to sis , her name is Daisy.

Daisy was named correctly by her previous owners.She is dazed and confused , so she fits in perfectly around here.

13 Likes

She’s doing great on the jigsaw puzzle. I’d say you got yourself one damn smart dog, there!

9 Likes

This was Hunter, the laziest but most loving dog my family has ever had, we lost him to a diabetic stroke back in October - the next two months were really hard for me (I won’t lie).

His younger brother Pepper, who is our constant watch dog and lover of all things that bounce (or make noise):

And the newest addition to our family… our pocket rocket Catahoula Leopard Hound/Cur little girl, Lacey Rae, we rescued her the week before last and haven’t looked back since:

15 Likes

On a more serious note. Bravo to your sister, for helping find homes for animals that are in need of a loving home. She didn’t just help rescue Daisy, she helped rescue her brother.

My youngest daughter is a Vet Tech in a Veterinary ER. They work closely with many of the rescues in our area. She, and your sister are special people.

We have 5 rescued cats. Two normal (well, as normal as cats can be), two blind cats, and one on Prozac. Some days it’s like a monkey’s wedding around here. Never a dull moment.

10 Likes

Really sorry to hear that, I know how bad it is to lose a pet, have been through it too often. They really are the most loyal friends you can have and they stay with you for ever in some ways.

June 28 it will be 5 years since I’ve lost my black lab and when I close my eyes I can still feel how his head felt between my hands, the bumps on his skull, his ears and the way he always planted his ass on my feet.

9 Likes

So true and I have been very blessed thru the years with some truly amazing pets.

Thank you for the hugs my friend.

So very true Thank you

Life is so full of surprises when it comes to pets. About a year ago some folks we know had a litter of pups that were only 2 weeks old when the mother died. They asked my wife if she wanted to try to save them.

Here are 3 of them

Now this is the 4th and also the runt.

They all made it and 2 went to new loving homes but we kept 2 ourselves.

My buddy Little Dude would tolerate both of them but would only tolerate the runt being anyplace near me.
During the last 2 weeks he was with us the runt named Sheba became increasingly attached to me and my little buddy seemed to be glad. Now that he has passed Sheba has wanted to stay at my feet 24/7.

So let me leave you today on a happy note

This is Sheba and my lap has become her new favorite place to be.

12 Likes

Oh, they’re so sweet!!! :heart_eyes:

This was my biggest buddy, he just loved the water and would usually steal balls from other dogs and swim off with them.

13 Likes

You have my wife and I’s prayers and good thoughts. We nursed our prima though her last four months of life with colon cancer. Although she was 22 it was heartbreaking seeing her on the downward spiral she was on.
From years ago

Toward the end with her guard dog Lil Bit.

10 Likes

As all who visit here I too have lost numerous pets in the past. My wife and I are always saddened greatly cause of course we love our cats. Over the years we have learned something about ourselves and others who truly love animals. As one passes, there’s the love of another waiting for room in your heart. Meet Grayman…

First let me say that we lost a beloved cat one week before taking in Grayman. Now here’s his story…

Grayman was, or still is, a feral. He was at least tame enough that we felt he at least had a home for a while but wild enough to call him a feral. My wife decided to try to capture him, take him to the vet, have him neutered and get him fixed up since he had big gashes in his neck from a fight. So off to the vet he goes for snipping. My wife decides to have some blood work done on him and then the bad news. Grayman has feline lukemia and feline HIV. We were faced with 3 choices and in our eyes, 2 were unacceptable. One, just set him free and let him infect and kill off all the cats for miles around. Two, have him put to sleep. We couldn’t do either of these options. Three, Grayman is now a shop kitty in my office. This was the only possible solution since Grayman could not be in contact with any other cats. Though the HIV would require actual contact such as bites, etc, the feline lukemia is highly contagious and can be spread just from eating or drinking from the same bowl. Soooo, as one passes, there’s always another to fill your heart with the love you miss. Just look around, he, or she is waiting for you…

12 Likes

Awesome decision and not one just anybody would make, Kudos to you and your wife.

7 Likes

My Tori died of that 3 years ago at age 15. Fortunately it looks like the other 4 have not caught it :sweat:

4 Likes

Damnit…
I got something in my eyes.

7 Likes

I agree and most times it seems that pet will find you even if you aren’t looking for it.
My hats off to yours , @wvsanta ,@d_fabes family , that is a huge burden to take on that not many would.

I couldn’t agree more on both counts. Daisy has been a true blessing , sis knew exactly what she was doing! Please thank your daughter for me , they are indeed special people.I can see the acorn didn’t fall far from that tree!

My condolences , it looks like Hunter had a wonderful life.A good friend of mine has a Catahoula Cur , very intelligent breed, very attentive and full of energy.When she was a pup, less than four months old I would try and hide her toy from her , I failed miserably!

My Niece would rub his pointed head and say that is the power of the point.Every time it stormed he would sit his bony ass on my feet , I have never seen a dog more frightened of thunder!

8 Likes

Cleo, a stray that adopted us, and so we adopted her. Over a couple weeks, she would come visit us in our car port and we started giving it food. Eventually it started being less scared and letting us pet her and hold her even. Then one day i looked and she was at the screen door. So I opened the door and she walked right in on her own to explore. She aproved and has been our loyal loving kitty since. She even found my bedroom window to come meow into when she wants to come back inside so i can go to the door and let her in :slight_smile: smart cat, fast learner. I think she is a Blue Russian breed. Her eyes arent quite green yet, just coming in around the pupils some now, so i think she is somewhere around a year old.

One of her sitting in the kitchen window cill with our other cat Autumn.

My girlfriend loving on Cleo. Her eye was super bright from my camera flash :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Just got back from the groomer and thought I would share a pic.Daisy getting ready for the fourth!

12 Likes

So our cat Autumn likes grapefruit. Weird cat. Didnt give her much just a little tiny piece but she ate it up and begged for more lol

6 Likes

That is weird. I have a couple fur babies too (2 Mini Schnauzers) I’ll post some pics in a couple weeks

4 Likes

Grapefruit

Scientific Name: Citrus paradisii
Family: Rutaceae
Toxicity: Toxic to Dogs, Toxic to Cats, Toxic to Horses
Toxic Principles: Essential oils and psoralens
Clinical Signs: Vomiting, diarrhea, depression; potential photosensitivity
If your pet ingested this plant, contact your local veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435.*

Source: ASPCA http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants

7 Likes

Of course cats like grapefruit, they are carnivores.
Grapefruit is made in grocery stores from the meat they make there, where no animals are harmed.
Of course, the stores do have to use hemp [where they have to kill plants to get it] to make the rind/peel/skin.
You can consult any of the crazy cat lady forums to verify how much grapefruit your cat can eat, especially if
your cat shows any signs of unusual behavior, like no longer caring if he/she is treated like a god/goddess.
If any abnormal signs occur, immediately Feng Shui your entire home, contact a holistic practitioner on the crazy cat lady forum, massage your cats’ cheeks [glands] and brush her/him, and order her/him a yin-yang medallion [bling] on e-bay ASAP !!! to hang on their collar. If there is no improvement in 24hrs , you may need to wear only rainbow-colored clothing while you administer ‘sugars and love’ . Beware that purring may only be temporary signs of improvement.
For best results, take pictures regularly to document any changes. View the pics, and if their eyes abruptly ‘light up’ in the photographs, you know the cat is out-thinking you with a fake illness. But STILL, buy them the bling…or one night when you are sleeping well…you will regret it.
Please don’t take my word for it, I saw it on Jackson Galaxy-My cat from HELL…gotta be the gospel, eh?

Don’t feed your cat grapefruit.

8 Likes

She only ate a tiny piece smaller than my pinky nail. Not like i cut half of it up for her. Shes fine.

2 Likes