Low Carb/Paleo Anyone?

Not sure if I mentioned this before but I was so desperate for a decent pizza when I was doing less than 20 carbs. I ended up crushing a giant bag of pork skins, added 2-3 eggs and mixed it all together and used it as my pizza dough. It wasn’t great but it satisfied my urge at the time. Looks like low carb has come a long way.

4 Likes

I use low carb tortillas as a crust. Comes out pretty good usually. I haven’t tried any of the other pizza crusts. :slight_smile:

I’ve been slacking and I’ve paid for it. :frowning: I need to get back on the wagon again…lol. It was spring break though! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Love the low carb tortillas and flatbreads. I mixed this up before they came along. Only did it once. Used to go to Pizza Hut for lunch for their buffet and just eat the toppings off the pizza. Not sure if it hurt their feelings or mine throwing all that gooey dough away,

1 Like

To all those using MFP I found some great add on tools for Chrome. I think most are available for FireFox also. Neither will help with the mobile app but since I mostly use the web interface when home it is working great for me.

I also use this which makes it nice for adding/adjusting things on the web page - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/easy-myfitnesspal-ezmfp/fhhokehggpeffjfgjiingnacgepfkkmi

Now I see this at the bottom of my page:

Edit - I just found out it breaks the water tracking but since I regularly drink over 3 liters a day, and tracking my macros and net carbs is more important, I can live with that and will just stop tracking my water.

Edit 2 - It actually just breaks the quick add water buttons so you can still track water, you just have to manually add/edit the water amount.

3 Likes

Very cool!

MFP just gave me this today!! :grinning:

6 Likes

Looks like these came up with a better way to do it.

3 Likes

Well I would like to say thank you to everyone involved in this thread because I read it a while ago and researched like a mad man (as I do with most things, I make everything a hobby :neutral_face:), so I decided to give it a shot. My lady friend had been talking about herself losing weight a lot recently and feeling a bit displeased with herself so I decided this was just extreme enough for my liking to try :joy:

And by extreme I mean going to a Ketogenic lifestyle from a “eat pizza atleast 3 nights a week” lifestyle.

We started last Sunday so almost an entire week. It’s been a little finicky trying to get our macros perfect (usually a little higher in fat than recommended) but we have consistently ate around 10 net carbs a day. Surprisingly it’s a challenge for us to get close to 20 especially for me since my diet normally consisted of just dinner alone for the past 4 years.

I started at 172 pounds on Sunday and the scale yesterday (the next Saturday) read…

172 pounds.
And yes that’s an average weight for my height, albeit at about 20% body fat. I’m mostly doing this to keep her motivated and sticking to it.
So I have a feeling it may take a while for my body to adjust. I’ve already noticed many of the signs the internet claims can tell you it’s working. And I’ll say I feel freaking magnificent at work if I start out the day with some coffee with a tablespoon of heavy cream and coconut oil. I generally feel good all damn day now.

The hardest part for me is fitting this into my budget. We normally spend $130 or so on food for the whole month. And I have already gone over that just getting everything transitioned in the first week alone! I know I won’t need to buy some of the oils again next month but damn I feel like I’m eating dollar bills instead of romaine lettuce :money_mouth_face:

Tl;dr
Thank you all so much for putting this info up here! You’ve helped me and my fiancée step into a new lifestyle. @JoJo @VapeyMama @TheTinMan1
@DrChud @Fozzy71 @Walt_RealFlavors and everyone else thank you!

Also if anyone could recommend the best deals (cheapest) things to look for on this diet it would be much appreciated.

3 Likes

what? I spent at least 3 times that for just myself even before I tried keto.

Oh I know it’s low and we’re generally broke haha not having money is usually the best way to stay in our budget but yeah many many many nights of instant potatos and hamburger helper… and $2.50 frozen pizza

Plus we shop at a place here called Food Depot where all of the sugary high carb American obesity epidemic food is like pennies lol we would get 10 boxes of mac n cheese for like $3. Hamburger helper is like $1 a box (offbrand). Even their meat is cheap but I opted for all the grass fed healthy essentials this month starting Keto so most of our deals went out the window :neutral_face:

ahh, yeah I have been eating paleo/healthy for ~4 yrs now. The only time I eat that garbage now is when I am drunk (no will power left, like tonight) and there are leftovers from my brother and his girl friend

Getting started can be a little financially daunting. It was a month or two before my grocery budget went back to normal after buying all the ‘necessary’ things and finding what worked for me and what didn’t. I wasted a lot of money on stuff I wound up not using or not liking. I buy almost all of my meat, cheese/dairy, nuts, chia and flax seed, oil, and basically anything I can find at Aldi. If you have one near you, check them out. I get almond and coconut flour, low carb tortillas, grated cheese in big bags, flaxseed “low carb” bread, and other random things at Walmart. Skippy natural PB and 70%+ dark chocolate have become necessities. LoL.

If you’re willing to cook and experiment, there are some really great recipes out there. I do an almond/flax meal biscuit in a mug with a veggie sausage patty for breakfast twice a week. There’s a great chia seed and flax hot cereal recipe that’s really filling and full of great stuff like fiber and antioxidants. I used to make a lot of coconut/almond flour muffins (especially pumpkin and cream cheese over the holidays) but school kinda killed that for me.

Most nights, dinner for us is usually some meat and California blend frozen veggies baked with olive oil and sea salt. The kid loves the cauliflower, I get all the broccoli, and we share the carrots. LoL. That was the key for me was finding what we liked, worked, and didn’t take too much time and effort to prepare. Fortunately, neither of us get bored with food.

Hang in there if you’re liking it and you feel good doing it. It’ll normalize. It’s an eating style that works really well for some people and not for others, but in the end that’s what you have to remember…it’s a way of eating more than a ‘diet’.

3 Likes

Well I’m definitely enjoying it and she seems to be as well. Luckily we both like eggs enough we eat a couple a day haha and getting 60 for like $3 at Walmart is a life saver. We do have an aldi here I’ve just never been. I may check it out. She works for Walmart and can get a membership at sams club finally for like $7 a month so we’re gonna try that too.

I’ve been looking into these for next week:

You should really go check out Aldi…closely.

3 Likes

Yes!! Definitely check out aldi.
Between bulk meat at sams and the rest at aldi you should be able to stick to your budget.

2 Likes

My own special breakfast concoction lately:

2 Likes

oh man, think I might have to give this try. I got all the ingredients except for the unsalted butter but I will just use salted butter and skip the dry salt he added:

Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter (15g / 0.53oz)
2 Tablespoons Almond Butter (32g / 1.13oz)
2 Tablespoons Almond Meal or Flour (15g /0.53oz)
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder (2.5g / 0.09g)
Salt to taste
1 Tablespoon Unsweetened Almond Milk (15ml / 0.5oz)

Macros for entire recipe:
Calories: 400
Fat: 38g
Net Carbs: 3g (9g carbs – 6g fiber)
Protein: 10g

Macros per 1 smaller English Muffin:
Calories: 200
Fat: 19g
Net Carbs: 1.5g (4.5g carbs – 3g fiber)
Protein: 5g

1 Like

Try checking out lo carb diabetic diet sites. Lots of diabetics are now using lo carb to keep their blood glucose levels low. Please note that this is not the recommended diet from the American Diabetes Association.

1 Like

Congratulations!

I lost 140lbs myself. I started at 351lbs with elevated liver functions from a fatty liver, high blood pressure, blood sugar reading in the 320s (type 2 diabetes levels), etc, in Sept of 2015. Started off on a doctor supervised VLCD (very low calorie diet) that required me to limit my calorie intake to 820 calories a day until I was down to 270. I could only eat these special shakes, bars, and soups the doctor gave me 7 days a week. It got very boring but I was determined to lose the weight, so I kept with it. Then I went on a low carb diet until I was down to 235. Then last summer I went off the diet for about 9 months and just watched what I ate and was able to lose another 10 pounds, but I wasn’t satisfied with that progress. So now I’m back on a low carb diet and I weigh about 210 with blood pressure, blood sugar, and liver functions all within the normal healthy range. When I was 350 I set the original goal to be just to get under 200 and see how I feel maintaining that. I haven’t been at that weight since I was a freshman in highschool. But now I’m thinking I can get down to 175-185 easy if I keep this up, which is probably what I weighed in 7th grade.

EDIT: I didn’t realize I was responding to an 8 month old post, but still congratulations!

4 Likes

Had to buy a new scale yesterday as my cheap $20 Taylor I got from KMart a year or so ago died. 2nd Taylor scale to die in 3 or 4 years. I went with a $30 HoMedics this time from Bed Bath & Beyond since the KMart down the road closed… 2.6 pound weight loss in 2 days :laughing:

Not sure if the old scale or new scale is right but I am going to assume it’s the new one obv since I have been sub 20 net calories and at a significant calorie deficit for the past week since I quit drinking (again, hopefully I don’t fall of the wagon again). The old scale was accurate the last time I went to the doctor and weighed myself right before going to my doctors appointment.

2 Likes