20-22 people linked to health related vaping problems:

Hehe @Raven-Knightly

1 Like

(Time; September 6, 2019): The FDA is now testing more than 100 product samples used by patients who developed lung diseases after vaping, in an effort to find out exactly what’s in them and what could be causing illnesses. NY state health officials on Thursday pointed to vitamin E acetate, an unauthorized additive in some marijuana vape pods, as a focus of their investigation. On Friday, an FDA spokesman said, “No one substance, including Vitamin E acetate, has been identified in all of the samples tested” by the agency. The spokesperson added: “Importantly, identifying any compounds that are present in the samples will be one piece of the puzzle but will not necessarily answer questions about causality."

Oh well, time to move onto some other fashionable scapegoat with which to slander the sin of “vaping”. :thinking: Of prime importance will remain the skillful conflation of Nicotine with already demonized “psychotropics”.

2 Likes

Having worked with Acetic Acid for decades, I would have to say only a total idiot would think of putting that in something you’d inhale. But I guess that’s the point.

2 Likes

I guess that I might have been wise to hold back the Vinegar from my “Free Range Non-GMO Corned Beef Shanks” sauce. Just wanted to “marinate the meat” (so to speak). Much better bovine “bouquet” that way.

The Acetate salt appears to be a fairly common formulation of (the various) Vitamin E molecules (up front).

Acetic Acid is item number one on this list of “can be used” acids for Nicotine Salt formulations. Who knew ?

2 Likes

I guess that would be the difference between a process and an additive. That stuff will literally make your sinus’ bleed.

2 Likes

I can dig it. Similarly, Hydrochloric Acid, Sulphuric Acid, Citric Acid (and other common ones widely used in medicinal salt formulations) are not desirable to play with (in any appreciable quantities, whether complexed as a salt in solution, or not) where it comes to one’s internal mucus-membranes - which can be quite finicky.

The FDA places Acetic Acid on their recent proposed list of Respiratory Toxicants (RT) appearing below:

Source: Drums of War in the Ongoing FDA Flavorings Inquisition?

2 Likes

Right on cue, the administration is rolling out it’s most erudite intellectual heavyweights on scientific matters:

I am deeply concerned about the growing epidemic of e-cigarette use in our children. We need to do all we can to protect the public from tobacco-related disease and death, and prevent e-cigarettes from becoming an on-ramp to nicotine addiction for a generation of youth.

It will likely be hard to argue with the gravity of such highly influential thinkers of our time in the White House.

2 Likes

Just damn sad… is all… really sad :cry:

2 Likes

It is as much intended as humor as anything - but the reader must click on the link above for the punch line.

This “breaking news” article puts new a twist on and gives a new meaning to the saying “Katy, bar the door!”:
Vaping fears prompt Alabama high school to remove bathroom stall doors

2 Likes

You gotta love corrupt organizations like CDC and WHO that knowingly want to spread misinformation about vaping

4 Likes

and to think… reps from the cdc has to be present in some labs to inspect the flavors being made…
For Vaping… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

URINE TESTS !!! indeed not heard one case of this simple method… :shushing_face:

3 Likes

This looks like interesting information (indicating that certain Vitamin E Acetate additions were intentional):

(Leafly; September 6, 2019): “Vape Cart Additive Makers Pull Products as Others Go Dark

Clear Cut contains vitamin E acetate. Jones confirmed in a letter to Leafly that Clear Cut contained tocopheryl-acetate. Jones wrote Leafly that he had permission to use it from the Oregon Liquor Control Commission and thought it was safe. … The popular illicit market diluent thickener Honey Cut, based out of Los Angeles, may contain vitamin E oil, according to independent tests …

(Leafly; September 9, 2019): “Vape Pen Lung Disease Has Insiders Eyeing Misuse of New Additives

Industry insiders who track the legal and illegal vape cart markets closely tell Leafly that a new type of additive started showing up in late 2018, and has since become widely used in underground markets. It’s a novel class of odorless, tasteless thickening agents. These liquids come in different proprietary formulations manufactured by both legal, above-board companies and by shadowy underground operations. This new additive may or may not play a role in the current health crisis. But it is one of the major new ingredients in illegal vape cart oil in widespread use this summer.

3 Likes

I do believe so too…

have a read

5 Likes

For the curious (regarding Vitamin E related substances, and Acetate Salts):

(Leafly; September 11, 2019): “Amid Vape Pen Lung Disease Deaths: What Exactly Is Vitamin E Oil?

3 Likes

oh, come on. as you pointed out yourself, glycerol and PG are also on the list.

Maybe you guys guys can start your own quiet little thread about the dangers of putting acetic acid or citric acic in your juice?. I’d be seriously seriously intersted to know if there’s any real concern here, given that some of us do talk of adding vinegar, lemon . or commercial “sour”" to our juice.

Suspect you’re just taking the piss, in fact. But you’re so freaking deadpan it’s hard to be sure.

2 Likes

Hi Jay, Harlan and I were having a rational discussion there - no parental guidance needed or desired. :thinking:

1 Like

nothing to do with parental guidance. If you’re seriously suggesting i should throw away my natural lemon extract, if i don’t want my lungs to suffer, then i want that discussion out there in it’s own thread, where i can read it at my leisure, not conflated with all this gubbins. But, what the heck, that’s a pretty big “if” methinks.

1 Like

At your (de-conflated) leisure, your non-parental guidance:

Jay, Lemons contain Citric Acid and some Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C). Little or no Acetic Acid (in Vinegar).

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks for the basic chemistry lesson, Mr Raven, Sir. But the the thing is, I could swear that you also mentioned citric acid as one of the substances that could react with palm oil (or residues of oil in palm-based glycerol, or something like that) , to grim effect?

1 Like