20-22 people linked to health related vaping problems:

Good stuff @Wings4Life

3 Likes

and somewhere in the small prints they mention it is not related to vaping nicotine :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Reading between the lines…

The US state of Illinois’ health agency said the unnamed patient was between 17 and 38 years old. We hope you didn’t catch that. It’s an extremely arbitrary age range. We’re trying to target a specific demographic, but you decide which that is

It comes amid an outbreak of lung disease across the US that officials have linked to use of e-cigarettes. We have no empirical date, but it sounds scary

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said nearly 200 people have fallen ill from vaping nationwide. Yeah, we know cigarettes are responsible for many thousands of premature deaths annually in the US alone, but we approve it because of taxes

He added: "This tragic death in Illinois reinforces the serious risks associated with e-cigarette products. "The greatest risk is the loss of revenue to big tobacco, and big pharm when people get sick from smoking, and of course the medical community would surely suffer if people stop smoking tobacco"

“Vaping exposes users to many different substances for which we have little information about related harms - including flavourings, nicotine, cannabinoids and solvents.” "You must believe this, even though we just said a person has died from vaping and many others developing lung disease from vaping"

He said vaping devices were not safe for children, young adults, pregnant women or even adults who do not normally use tobacco products. "If you do not agree with this, it’s because you are a child hating sexist and every other type of -ist you can think of. And yes, I know, smoking cigarettes is not safe for anyone, but we approve because of …money"

Am I right? Is this close to how they think, what they know, and what they lie about?

17 Likes

A perfect translation mate. :+1:

6 Likes

I think BBC just hired someone from the Daily Mail or the Sun and this is his first article for them.

4 Likes

This article. My wife just showed me this.

It’s the translated version.
I told her this is the first vape related lung illness death after… What? 10 years of vape history?
I’ll take my chances.

4 Likes

Clearly, propaganda knows no borders.

3 Likes

Not translated for me…

2 Likes

So what about the dead guy that vaped?

3 Likes

It was an article from an Indonesian news outlet if the exact same news

3 Likes

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said there were 193 “potential cases” in 22 US states.

Many of the cases involve vaping THC, the main active compound in cannabis, CDC experts said.

2 Likes

Sadly, there are stupid people. Those stupid people will read articles like this and think something has to be done!

FROM CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION

Alcohol

Drinking too much can harm your health. Excessive alcohol use led to approximately 88,000 deaths and 2.5 million years of potential life lost (YPLL) each year in the United States from 2006 – 2010, shortening the lives of those who died by an average of 30 years.

Smoking

Nearly 40 million U.S. adults still smoke cigarettes, and about 4.7 million middle and high school students use at least one tobacco product, including e-cigarettes. Every day, about 2,000 U.S. youth younger than 18 years smoke their first cigarette. Each year, nearly half a million Americans die prematurely of smoking or exposure to secondhand smoke. Another 16 million live with a serious illness caused by smoking. Each year, the United States spends nearly $170 billion on medical care to treat smoking-related disease in adults.

What do these two products have in common? Easy - they’re Federally regulated and taxed. I won’t point to other country’s governments, but ours here in the US are sleazy, disingenuous assholes who use every conceivable tactic to extract more money from the people. If it were about health, alcohol and tobacco would not be legal for sale to the general public. But I reckon logic has no place here.

9 Likes

It’s like banning syringes for everyone because a few heroin addicts overdose using them. And obviously people who end up in hospital will end up with a needle in his veins in the gutter too.
The BBC is going down fast publishing stories like this and in this clickbait way…

8 Likes

I read that everyone who drank coconut milk in 1879 is dead. When will it end.

I was watching #LivePD last night, and there was one part where a lady was vaping outside of a laundromat and some other lady pushed her. And there was this guy once who got pulled over for speeding and it turns out he had a vape in his truck. This vaping epidemic is leading to all sorts of nefarious activity and should be stopped (or taxed very heavily).

13 Likes

I read somewhere, from somebody who told me what I wanted to hear, that patient is still “puffing-away”. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Like this??

Oh snap… rare Smoky pic! :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Perhaps a bit more like this. Patient reports, “still … winning !”. Asks Saint Peter if he has an extra stoggie:

The look and feel of 48 years of tobacco smoking adding up.
Lucky to be here. Pulmonary health improved (vaping NETs).

Some more information being stated and circulated. Noise being made about the possibility (in some cases) of Exogenous Lipoid Pneumonia (ELP), which has been associated with the knowing or unknowing inhalation or aspiration of fatty substances (“lipids”). One primary suspected substance (an alcohol that decompose as a molecule around its BP at ~290 C, ~554 F) is Glycerine (Glycerol). Glycerin is an alcohol - whereas substances such as Mineral Oil (MO) might better qualify for rhetorical designation as being “lipids”. MO may possibly be less expensive than Glycerine (dunno; see this). Wonder if it could be a “cheap” additive ?

(1984): Up to 1978, more than 400 cases of lipid pneumonia were reported in the literature to be related to oral administration of mineral oil, to oil-based nose drops or to intralaryngeal injection of medicinal oil.

(2007): Exogenous lipoid pneumonia (ELP) is a rare form of pneumonia caused by inhalation or aspiration of a fatty substance. ELP has been reported with inhalation or ingestion of petroleum jelly, mineral oils, “nasal drops,” and even intravenous injection of olive oil.

Have found a few (published previous to these recent cases) vaping related articles. 2015. 2017. 2018.

The link below is to a medical blog (published by Josh Farkas, associate professor of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Vermont) that describes 14 (un-named) patients, with much more relavant info than the general click-bait “press” is presently bloviating on. Technical (but also more informative) reading:

Vaping Associated Pulmonary Injury (VAPI), published on August 19, 2019.
Web-page contents archived (for posterity) via The Wayback Machine site (08-25-19) here.

Included table of related data regarding 14 patients (where vaping is considered possibly causative):
https://emcrit.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/vapii.svg
Note that this list includes one patient that has died (so far “press” reports one death). Decedent was a 70 year old patient with prior co-morbidities of Lung Cancer as well as COPD. Four weeks of “heavy” vaping. Intubated, given steroids, died. Very important details to report (for context) !

Don’t have the energy to chase around “hack journalists” - but if the articles reporting this (so far, only one) death are failing to report the above contextual details, they should be shamed (via article “comments”). Since the decedent patient remains anonymous, this (now-publicized) information seems not a violation of HIPAA or privacy statutes. The info is obviously pertinent as to the pathology surrounding reported fatality.

Seems that few things/issues are simple. Only certainties are death, taxes, dentists, and moral nannies. :thinking:

3 Likes

Well, (commenting as “to the contrary”), I did give the Washington Post reporter a solid drubbing here:

“Illinois officials said the death was in an adult who died this month but did not provide further details about the person”. Such silence on their (or anybody else’s) part seems to betray the sort of important context that has now (without identifying decedent) been publicized (about the one solitary allegedly vaping related death reported as of Aug 25, 2019). The durably archived web-page containing information that decedent was a 70 year old patient with prior co-morbidities of Lung Cancer as well as COPD who is said to have engaged in “heavy” vaping for around four weeks time before subsequently being hospitalized, intubated, given steroids, and dying.

See bottom row of patient information table appearing within the (archived) “Vaping Associated Pulmonary Injury (VAPI)” by Josh Farkas, associate professor of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Vermont:
https://web.archive.org/web/20190825054119/https://emcrit.org/ibcc/vaping-associated-pulmonary-injury/

(Archived) patient information table image:
https://web.archive.org/web/20190825064016/https://emcrit.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/vapii.svg

Washington Post article author Lena H. Sun, please take note that your article coverage as it appears above is evidently seriously lacking in what is clearly important informational context. Please follow-up with an article addenda edit, or better yet, follow-up with new journalistic coverage that provides this obviously important context surrounding the pathology of this reported death. To merely remain silent on these new details would be a sorely negligent act !

Note: If the Washington Post can be publicly shamed into publicly reporting on the now publicized contextual information which has subsequently come to light surrounding this (already dying, with or without “vaping”) person’s death, it could possibly serve to throw (something of a) a monkey-wrench into this (so-called “press”) engendered feeding-frenzy of rank speculation and insinuations surrounding this theatrical attempt to manufacture socio-political consent for this circular firing squad of weaponized ignorance and organized “therapeutic state” parasitic power and profiteering off our backs. Let the Washington Post know that “the people” are pissed, feeling gaslighted, and rightfully expect genuine quality (not just toady-time) journalism.

Washington Post article author Lena H. Sun’s email address is: lena.sun@washpost.com
I have emailed her, in order to be sure to call her attention to my comment (quoted above).

4 Likes

I have coffee. :smiley: Yes once you “dig” thru the garbage…it becomes painstakingly clear what is exactly going on. Fear mongering. Is the FDA or other abc organizations about to flip the script yet again?

I will need cup #2 this morning… yes, I am up! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

One of our local stations that leans a bit toward independent thinking, had one expert (nurse or someone, I forget) briefly comment that all summer they’ve been getting patients with especially nasty upper respiratory infections, She said something to the effect of, maybe the vaping cases are incidental, basically lots of people are getting this and a few of them happen to vape. I looked for this excerpt and sure enough, it wasn’t posted to their site. :frowning:

Never mind that a hundred people got this bad infection from where ever, the handful who vape are proof that vaping is making people sick? :weary:

This patient who had cancer and COPD probably turned to vaping in desperation trying to quit smoking. It probably added years of higher quality health to his life but that won’t be mentioned.

8 Likes